U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-16-2010, 12:49 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Reputation: 4611

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
Got buses for 12 million? or should we use cattle cars?
Old WWII cargo planes and give them all a paratute made in Mexico.
Drop em out the back like we did supplies for troops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2010, 03:33 AM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,657,730 times
Reputation: 690
Operation ******* was a 1954 operation by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) to remove about one million illegal immigrants from the southwestern United States, focusing on Mexican nationals[1].

History

Burgeoning numbers of illegal Mexican immigrants prompted President Dwight D. Eisenhower to appoint his longtime friends, John Cox and General Joseph Swing, as INS Commissioner. According to Attorney General Herbert Brownell, Jr., Eisenhower had a sense of urgency about illegal immigration upon taking office. In a letter to Sen. J. William Fulbright, Eisenhower quoted a report in The New York Times that said, "The rise in illegal border-crossing by Mexican "*******s" (rooted from the watery route taken by the Mexican immigrants across the Rio Grande) to a current rate of more than 1,000,000 cases a year has been accompanied by a curious relaxation in ethical standards extending all the way from the farmer-exploiters of this contraband labor to the highest levels of the Federal Government."[2]
The operation was modeled after a program that came to be termed the Mexican Repatriation, which put pressure on citizens of Mexico to return home during the Great Depression, due to the economic crisis in the United States.



Operation ******* in action

The effort began in California and Arizona, and coordinated 1075 Border Patrol agents, along with state and local police agencies, to mount an aggressive crackdown. Tactics employed included going as far as systematic police sweeps of Mexican-American neighborhoods, and random stops and ID checks of "Mexican-looking" people in a region with many Native Americans and native Hispanics. In some cases, illegal immigrants were deported along with their American-born minor dependent children. Some 750 agents targeted agricultural areas with a goal of 1,000 apprehensions per day. By the end of July, over 50,000 immigrants were caught in the two states. An estimated 488,000 illegal immigrants are claimed to have left voluntarily, for fear of being apprehended. By September, 80,000 had been taken into custody in Texas, and the INS estimated that 500,000 to 700,000 had left Texas of their own accord. To discourage illicit re-entry, buses and trains took many deportees deep within Mexican territory prior to releasing them. Tens of thousands more were deported by two chartered ships, the Emancipation and the Mercurio. The ships ferried them from Port Isabel, Texas, to Veracruz, Mexico, more than 500 miles (800 kilometers) to the south. Some were taken as far as 1,000 miles. Deportation by sea was ended after seven deportees jumped overboard from the Mercurio and drowned, provoking a mutiny that led to a public outcry in Mexico.[3]


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_*******
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2010, 06:52 AM
 
107 posts, read 126,880 times
Reputation: 96
Well, it's good to see that historically at least our politicians were able to do something. I am strongly for deportation. After all if I invaded a country and lived high on the hog, I'd always wonder if my number was up. Well, it's time their number was up. I'd like to see my wasted tax dollars go to bonafide americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2010, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by serrendipity View Post
Well, it's good to see that historically at least our politicians were able to do something. I am strongly for deportation. After all if I invaded a country and lived high on the hog, I'd always wonder if my number was up.
Quote:
Well, it's time their number was up. I'd like to see my wasted tax dollars go to bonafide americans.
I'll second that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2010, 08:46 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
Look, the problem is not "handled" because big business interests (read Republican) benefit from illegal labor. Nothing fancy, nothing cute, nothing moral or immoral, just follow the dollars.

Nope, didn't happen.



A canard of the right. Not what happens.
Funny post. I guess all Dems are doomed as they aren't capable of owning a large business. Oh the horrors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2010, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Dalton Gardens
2,798 posts, read 5,360,350 times
Reputation: 1570
I don't think the problem can be solely blamed on the Republicans or the Democrats. This is a matter of liberalism and socialism being forced into our communities against our wills. Greed also plays a large part in it. What really makes me sick is that employers are getting richer by paying illegals dirt poor wages, fully knowing that they are deliberately hurting American citizens who are desperate for jobs.

Somewhere, somehow a stand has to be taken and enforced. There are thousands or unemployed AMERICANS in every city and town....men and women of all races and colors. If they can stop wallowing in self-pity long enough to form a cohesive group they can force change. Craigslist and Facebook are powerful socials tools when used correctly. Imagine if large groups of these people got together and planned to go to local businesses where they know for a FACT that illegals are being hired and they began to demand jobs to replace those illegals? It would really start to stir things up for these employers if local media would agree to follow along and capture the action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2010, 01:01 PM
 
107 posts, read 126,880 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I don't think the problem can be solely blamed on the Republicans or the Democrats. This is a matter of liberalism and socialism being forced into our communities against our wills. Greed also plays a large part in it. What really makes me sick is that employers are getting richer by paying illegals dirt poor wages, fully knowing that they are deliberately hurting American citizens who are desperate for jobs.

Somewhere, somehow a stand has to be taken and enforced. There are thousands or unemployed AMERICANS in every city and town....men and women of all races and colors. If they can stop wallowing in self-pity long enough to form a cohesive group they can force change. Craigslist and Facebook are powerful socials tools when used correctly. Imagine if large groups of these people got together and planned to go to local businesses where they know for a FACT that illegals are being hired and they began to demand jobs to replace those illegals? It would really start to stir things up for these employers if local media would agree to follow along and capture the action.
Your so right....we should make a stand. The tea party has been suggested to me. I must admit I have no idea what their stand on illegal immigration is. If there was some kind of cohesive reputable group I'd love to picket. Sign me up...or if you know of a reputable link that would be great.

I'd be glad as a tax payer and citizen to put my thoughts into action. Picketing, etc, not sure what it would entail, but surely action must be better then inaction. We seem to be talking about this, but I don't know about you but I feel frustrated in anything actually being "done."

Open to advice....as I hope others are on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2010, 03:09 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
60,066 posts, read 30,586,259 times
Reputation: 12812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
Got buses for 12 million? or should we use cattle cars?


A slow boat to southern Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala and places south.
Make it as miserable as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2010, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
A slow boat to southern Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala and places south.
Make it as miserable as possible.
How about just shipping illegals to some lost island in the Caribbians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 07:09 PM
 
660 posts, read 1,188,336 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by serrendipity View Post
I'd be glad as a tax payer and citizen to put my thoughts into action. Picketing, etc, not sure what it would entail, but surely action must be better then inaction. We seem to be talking about this, but I don't know about you but I feel frustrated in anything actually being "done."

Open to advice....as I hope others are on this issue.
I feel your frustration as it does seem that someone is profiting from the Illegals being here, otherwise, they would've been long gone.

So many of our elected officials seem to pander to them as well by voting on issues that should have never come into policy. Why does our country help these "parasites" stay here while giving them opportunities and equality while ignoring the important issues of the legal citizens?

I also agree with Cyanna's point about greed and the forcing of Liberalism and Socialism against our wills. I hate to be so paranoid and not trust our Government but the way thing are being done has changed and not for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top