U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2010, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Reputation: 4611

Advertisements

What I hear the most is "I'm not into politics".
I sent them the article and video called "We Hate Gringo's"

I just hate to be the one to say "I told you so".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2010, 04:04 PM
 
13,496 posts, read 13,975,028 times
Reputation: 11119
people do care. they also care about other issues that effect them and our country. most people are not one issue deep. we all have issues that mean more to us than others. I don't think that because someone is not on the "front lines" of fighting illegal immigration that means they don't care. people who have a less rigid view of how to deal with illegal immigration, doesn't mean they are pro illegals or don't care. it only means other issues are more important to them. or as been stated before, unless it effects your life the issue isn't important enough to become involved. perhaps some people are involved politically with other issues and can't spread themselves any thinner. the same question can be asked about a number of important issues, childhood hunger, elderly health care, abortion, health care, and on and on. we are not a one issue nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 04:56 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
people do care. they also care about other issues that effect them and our country. most people are not one issue deep. we all have issues that mean more to us than others. I don't think that because someone is not on the "front lines" of fighting illegal immigration that means they don't care. people who have a less rigid view of how to deal with illegal immigration, doesn't mean they are pro illegals or don't care. it only means other issues are more important to them. or as been stated before, unless it effects your life the issue isn't important enough to become involved. perhaps some people are involved politically with other issues and can't spread themselves any thinner. the same question can be asked about a number of important issues, childhood hunger, elderly health care, abortion, health care, and on and on. we are not a one issue nation.
True but Americans need to be made to realize that illegal immigration is negatively impacting childhood hunger, elderly health care, health care and so on. Not the sole reason for these things but it does have a substantial impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,896 posts, read 5,866,353 times
Reputation: 6050
I really appreciate the input and the very thoughtful responses posted here. I have "pondered" on this very idea of why some people don't seem to care or understand what is happening here and this thread helps me to maybe understand a little more. It is not a subject that is easily talked about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 06:19 PM
 
13,496 posts, read 13,975,028 times
Reputation: 11119
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
True but Americans need to be made to realize that illegal immigration is negatively impacting childhood hunger, elderly health care, health care and so on. Not the sole reason for these things but it does have a substantial impact.
it does have an impact across the board on many issues, some more than others. illegal immigration is a percentage of our heath care costs, our criminal costs, educations, but to put it at the forefront of these ills as a "substantial" is inaccurate measurement. it is a percentage and a factor true enough, but if illegals were no longer a problem in our country we would still be struggling with hunger, poverty, health care for our veterans and poor. illegals can't be blamed for the lack of funding researchers need to discover cures for MS, cancer, aids.

americans that are interested in current events and what is happening in the world do know the negative impact illegals have. the illegal immigrants themselves make america aware of what they cost us. it is in the news daily. in certain parts of the country it is in your face. america does know but we can't make people have a passion for or against something if it doesn't interest them or isn't a priority for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 06:37 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
it does have an impact across the board on many issues, some more than others. illegal immigration is a percentage of our heath care costs, our criminal costs, educations, but to put it at the forefront of these ills as a "substantial" is inaccurate measurement. it is a percentage and a factor true enough, but if illegals were no longer a problem in our country we would still be struggling with hunger, poverty, health care for our veterans and poor. illegals can't be blamed for the lack of funding researchers need to discover cures for MS, cancer, aids.

americans that are interested in current events and what is happening in the world do know the negative impact illegals have. the illegal immigrants themselves make america aware of what they cost us. it is in the news daily. in certain parts of the country it is in your face. america does know but we can't make people have a passion for or against something if it doesn't interest them or isn't a priority for them.
According to most stats the social costs of illegals are substantial. Substantial enough to impact the care and needs of our own citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 06:52 PM
 
660 posts, read 1,188,760 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I really appreciate the input and the very thoughtful responses posted here. I have "pondered" on this very idea of why some people don't seem to care or understand what is happening here and this thread helps me to maybe understand a little more. It is not a subject that is easily talked about.
It's nice that someone appreciates this section of C-D.

And I agree that many people don't find it easy to talk about. Once the issue has somehow affected someone in a personal way, they will form an opinion, good or bad, depending on the viewpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Lake Oswego, Manhattan, Aspen
3,135 posts, read 3,956,874 times
Reputation: 11035
A lot of people are Narcissist Conformists.

Narcissists live to serve their self images.

Narcissist Conformists have self-images reflecting themselves as being in alignment with the 'norm', the 'majority', or the 'cool people', and alter their beliefs to keep themselves in alignment with what they believe those things to be.

The Media have conditioned people to believe that the 'cool people', the 'normal' people, are OK with immigration. And they have linked disapproval of immigration with those who are 'substandard', 'wacko', 'redneck', 'ignorant', 'old ugly people','low-class', 'inbred', 'Confederate Flag-waving Trailer Trash'.

Obviously, the alternate reality the Media have created could not be farther from the truth. Simple observation could disprove what the Media is telling us.

But Narcissist Conformists would rather be normal than right. In other words, they define 'truth' as being 'what is believed by the group to which I wish to belong'. As long as they believe that it is 'normal' or 'good' or'cool' to believe something, they are hostile to information or individuals contradicting their belief. I think Amy Biehl Syndrome is an awfully good example of Narcissist Conformist Thought. Basically, defending the ideal from the obvious.

Being accepting of illegal immigration is what the Media and the politicos have conditioned people to believe is normal.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 09-17-2010 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: tweak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 07:14 PM
 
660 posts, read 1,188,760 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
A lot of people are Narcissist Conformists.

Narcissists live to serve their self images.

Narcissist Conformists have self-images reflecting themselves as being in alignment with the 'norm', the 'majority', or the 'cool people', and alter their beliefs to keep themselves in alignment with what they believe those things to be.

The Media have conditioned people to believe that the 'cool people', the 'normal' people, are OK with immigration. And they have linked disapproval of immigration with those who are 'substandard', 'wacko', 'redneck', 'ignorant', 'old ugly people','low-class', 'inbred', 'Confederate Flag-waving Trailer Trash'.

Obviously, the alternate reality the Media have created could not be farther from the truth. Simple observation could disprove what the Media is telling us.

But Narcissist Conformists would rather be normal than right.

Being accepting of illegal immigration is what the Media and the politicos have conditioned people to believe is normal.
Wow. I couldn't agree with you more! That is a very interesting way of looking at it. Narcissist Conformists. I like it! And unfortunately, I'm totally surrounded by them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 10:24 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
people do care. they also care about other issues that effect them and our country. most people are not one issue deep. we all have issues that mean more to us than others. I don't think that because someone is not on the "front lines" of fighting illegal immigration that means they don't care. people who have a less rigid view of how to deal with illegal immigration, doesn't mean they are pro illegals or don't care. it only means other issues are more important to them. or as been stated before, unless it effects your life the issue isn't important enough to become involved. perhaps some people are involved politically with other issues and can't spread themselves any thinner. the same question can be asked about a number of important issues, childhood hunger, elderly health care, abortion, health care, and on and on. we are not a one issue nation.
You don't have to be on the "front lines" in the issue of illegal immigration to not be one of the people that stick their opinions in a debate about it or want to comment on it, but only deliver up a typical "They just come here to work," or "They aren't taking anything," response or attitude. Also, the people at the rallies and stuff, fighting for illegal immigrants, what are they fighting for? What is their reason? The basis? Because they have an undocumented boyfriend or girlfriend? Because they want to see people have a better life? Well, do they realize the decrease in quality of life that those legal residents and citizens will have because of the benefit for the undocumented? Yet, they are marching and rallying for undocumented people, not even knowing what the truths of illegal immigration are. And I wanted to know: just why do they ignore the other side just to support illegal immigration?

As for everything else you posted, a lot of what you said I agree with in the context of what we care about in regards to politics and our communities. But, when these people stand up and let it be known that they support illegal immigrants while ignoring all of the effects on others, you wonder why they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top