U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:31 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times

Advertisements

Also, ... we need these people to care. When I say "we," I am talking about those of us in the cities that are being abused and taxed by illegal immigration. "We" as in those on the border states who feel unsafe because the traffic of illegal immigration is unpredictable and there is an increased fear of violence down there. "We" as in the people that are losing jobs or not having jobs available to them because they don't speak Spanish (fortunately, I do speak Spanish, but I feel for those who don't in some areas), but the unfair growth of illegal immigration has forced that upon them.

Can those who ignore illegal immigration give us a minute of their time? Give us their ear? Give us a chance to explain how it is not racism, but constant reminders of injustices, discrimination, broken budgets, education problems, public assistance drains, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
it does have an impact across the board on many issues, some more than others. illegal immigration is a percentage of our heath care costs, our criminal costs, educations, but to put it at the forefront of these ills as a "substantial" is inaccurate measurement. it is a percentage and a factor true enough, but if illegals were no longer a problem in our country we would still be struggling with hunger, poverty, health care for our veterans and poor. illegals can't be blamed for the lack of funding researchers need to discover cures for MS, cancer, aids.

americans that are interested in current events and what is happening in the world do know the negative impact illegals have. the illegal immigrants themselves make america aware of what they cost us. it is in the news daily. in certain parts of the country it is in your face. america does know but we can't make people have a passion for or against something if it doesn't interest them or isn't a priority for them.
For me, when it comes to illegal immigration, I'm not just thinking about the present. I think about the future and the present. If we have this relaxed attitude towards illegal immigration, the attitude of "Oh, let's just leave them alone, they aren't taking anything from anyone," then it grows. What is it going to be like 10 years from now or 5 if we do nothing? If the majority of the people are under the impression that illegal immigration isn't a big deal? Illegal immigration has been one of those things that has benefited from ignoring it and avoiding it. Because while we ignore it and avoid it, the population of undocumented people grows, and they know this.

I agree that we can't make people have a passion for or against something if it doesn't interest them. That's why I am saying that often one of the reasons they don't care or have an interest is because they are unaware of what is going on or how it is affecting people that they normally support. That is why I feel that more needs to be said about what illegal immigration is like in the various cities, states, counties and across the nation. Here is a big IF: if the news outlets and the cities actually did reports and press released about the costs of illegal immigration and basically gave an overview of what it means to have millions of undocumented people here, I think people would start paying attention a lot more. If you tell a community that that the local Burger King down the street is hiring Hispanic, Spanish-speaking people 90% of the time when people of all backgrounds are applying with the same skills and experience at a higher-rate then I think people would have a problem with that. That example is an example of how some of these restaurants have become border-line discriminatory in their hiring practices.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
It's nice that someone appreciates this section of C-D.

And I agree that many people don't find it easy to talk about.
Once the issue has somehow affected someone in a personal way, they will form an opinion, good or bad, depending on the viewpoint.
I agree, it isn't easy to talk about.

Buttttttt ... I feel that the time of being afraid to talk about how people are here "illegally" is over. The future is too unpredictable to avoid taling about illegal immigration.

Sorry for all the posts!

Old 09-18-2010, 12:00 AM

13,496 posts, read 13,975,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
For me, when it comes to illegal immigration, I'm not just thinking about the present. I think about the future and the present. If we have this relaxed attitude towards illegal immigration, the attitude of "Oh, let's just leave them alone, they aren't taking anything from anyone," then it grows. What is it going to be like 10 years from now or 5 if we do nothing? If the majority of the people are under the impression that illegal immigration isn't a big deal? Illegal immigration has been one of those things that has benefited from ignoring it and avoiding it. Because while we ignore it and avoid it, the population of undocumented people grows, and they know this.

I agree that we can't make people have a passion for or against something if it doesn't interest them. That's why I am saying that often one of the reasons they don't care or have an interest is because they are unaware of what is going on or how it is affecting people that they normally support. That is why I feel that more needs to be said about what illegal immigration is like in the various cities, states, counties and across the nation. Here is a big IF: if the news outlets and the cities actually did reports and press released about the costs of illegal immigration and basically gave an overview of what it means to have millions of undocumented people here, I think people would start paying attention a lot more. If you tell a community that that the local Burger King down the street is hiring Hispanic, Spanish-speaking people 90% of the time when people of all backgrounds are applying with the same skills and experience at a higher-rate then I think people would have a problem with that. That example is an example of how some of these restaurants have become border-line discriminatory in their hiring practices.
I don't think we have a relaxed attitude about it. the trouble is we have lots of issues that are as pressing as this. the news has an hour to tell the public about the world events, national events and then local events. thats a lot of stuff to cram into an hour or less. the problems in bringing change or awareness to a population is only a small segment of the population really cares, and depending on the individual, the interest is either acute, passing or nil.

the costs have been covered well in the news. in the last few years with Az. law, more and more people are aware of what is really going on. I can't see the news agencies devoting anymore time to the issue than they do now. you are correct in that unless our law makers start enforcing the laws we have the situation will only get bigger in the years to come. I wondered in a posting a few months back about a tea party like group that want to bring more awareness to the issues but was told that was a stupid idea by a few people here. change comes from awareness. the tea party, agree with them or not, have come a long way in a very short amount of time. I can't imagine a group like that couldn't be effective for this issue. part of the problem is most people like to gripe about the troubles in our country, very few of us actually go out into the community and work for the change we think is important.

the barn door is already open and some of the trouble we face will not go away even if we are able to stop things from here on out. spanish speakers for one. there are enough spanish speaking people in our country now that we/employers want people who speak spanish because they feel it is an asset. in this I have no problems. just like some jobs you need a degree or experience, these employers want spanish speaking. get educated in spanish, get a degree if you want to apply for a job that requires these things or look for another job.

if you could show that illegals were taking away skilled jobs like doctors, lawyers, teachers, then I think more people would care. as it is not many people are gonna get their panties in a bunch about the job at the taco bell. like in my first posts it is about priorities, or when you parent a teen. you pick your battles. I would battle if a school teacher was shut out but not so much for a taco bell worker. true or not many people believe a lot of "legal" kids wouldn't take the taco bell job to begin with.
the principle may be the same but a teacher's job is worth far more people's time to fight for than that of a fast food worker.

I am all for HUGE fines for the employer that hires illegals

Old 09-18-2010, 05:29 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
I don't think we have a relaxed attitude about it. the trouble is we have lots of issues that are as pressing as this. the news has an hour to tell the public about the world events, national events and then local events. thats a lot of stuff to cram into an hour or less. the problems in bringing change or awareness to a population is only a small segment of the population really cares, and depending on the individual, the interest is either acute, passing or nil.

the costs have been covered well in the news. in the last few years with Az. law, more and more people are aware of what is really going on. I can't see the news agencies devoting anymore time to the issue than they do now. you are correct in that unless our law makers start enforcing the laws we have the situation will only get bigger in the years to come. I wondered in a posting a few months back about a tea party like group that want to bring more awareness to the issues but was told that was a stupid idea by a few people here. change comes from awareness. the tea party, agree with them or not, have come a long way in a very short amount of time. I can't imagine a group like that couldn't be effective for this issue. part of the problem is most people like to gripe about the troubles in our country, very few of us actually go out into the community and work for the change we think is important.

the barn door is already open and some of the trouble we face will not go away even if we are able to stop things from here on out. spanish speakers for one. there are enough spanish speaking people in our country now that we/employers want people who speak spanish because they feel it is an asset. in this I have no problems. just like some jobs you need a degree or experience, these employers want spanish speaking. get educated in spanish, get a degree if you want to apply for a job that requires these things or look for another job.

if you could show that illegals were taking away skilled jobs like doctors, lawyers, teachers, then I think more people would care. as it is not many people are gonna get their panties in a bunch about the job at the taco bell. like in my first posts it is about priorities, or when you parent a teen. you pick your battles. I would battle if a school teacher was shut out but not so much for a taco bell worker. true or not many people believe a lot of "legal" kids wouldn't take the taco bell job to begin with.
the principle may be the same but a teacher's job is worth far more people's time to fight for than that of a fast food worker.

What about the folks in the construction industry? Roofers, drywallers, and masons? Housing might be down but home repairs still need to be done.
Where I live it is the H.S kids who work in the fast food resturants, for landscapers cutting grass, pool companies cleaning and installing pools etc.
As a tax payer anyone and everyone should care about the huge cost of illegals.
As a licensed driver we should all care about non-english speakers on our roads but most especially about unlicensed uninsured illegals.
Anyone with a credit card should care because illegals using your name and ssn can destroy your credit causing you untold hours of aggrivation getting it straightened out.
As I said before most who don't care fall under just a few catagories.
Didn't do anything to me so not my problem.
I use illegal labor and save a bundle.
I have a friend or family member who is an illegal.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:27 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
As I have said many times before having to learn Spanish to get a job in one's own English speaking country is directly due to the high influx of Spanish speaking illegals. It isn't the same thing as having to learn how to put on a roof to become a roofer. It irritates me when people say "well learn Spanish then" to stay competive in the job market.

I agree that if this problem is ignored it will just get much worse. Kind of like a cancerous tumor if you don't get treatment for it it will get larger and quite possibly kill you in the long run.

So true that most illegals aren't just working at Taco Bell. Many of them are taking other blue collar jobs that most adult Americans will do. Those jobs at Taco Bell used to be held by our youth looking for spending money.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:47 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,723 times
Hmm. scroll down to see comments. The person who made this comment is the type of immigrant most deserving of citizenship.

Quote:
I am so tired of hearing about Latinos, Hispanics etc. For everyone's information. I am a naturalized citizen from Algeria / France,at the time it belonged to France , and DAMN PROUD OF IT. Many years ago when we came here we did not know how to speak English. We wanted to and therefore worked very hard at it. We were not given any special privileges and didn't expect any. I'm tired of choosing 1 for english 2 for spanish. How about French, German Chinese, Japanese, Polish,Ukraine?? I think you get the point.I'm tired of the political correctness. How about our government listening to us and doing what is right? If this Latinos bit weren't crammed down our throats maybe we wouldn't be so bitter and complain. We can only take so much!!!!! . So-- what it comes down to....come in legally, learn OUR language, TURN IN AND GET RID OF YOUR NEIGHBORS WHO AREN'T.--- POLICE YOUR OWN!! DO YOU LIKE LIVING IN NEIGHBORHOODS WITH DRUGS ETC??? If only the people who know the ones who are illegal would say so maybe we would get rid of them. However, the first thing is to secure the borders, ALL OF THEM STRAIGHT ACROSS! CONGRESS-- YOU WORK FOR US NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. DO SOMETHING AND DO IT RIGHT AND --NOW!!! MAY GOD BLESS THIS COUNTRY THAT I HAVE COME TO LOVE.!!!!!!
Latinos/Hispanics & Social Security - Latinos' Crucial Contributions to Social Security

Last edited by High Springs Gator; 09-18-2010 at 07:03 AM..

Old 09-18-2010, 09:52 AM

660 posts, read 1,188,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I agree, it isn't easy to talk about.

Buttttttt ... I feel that the time of being afraid to talk about how people are here "illegally" is over. The future is too unpredictable to avoid taling about illegal immigration.

Sorry for all the posts!
It is time to talk about it (I agree with you) and take action!

I enjoyed reading your posts above so don't be sorry!

Old 09-18-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Hmm. scroll down to see comments. The person who made this comment is the type of immigrant most deserving of citizenship.
"I am so tired of hearing about Latinos, Hispanics etc. For everyone's information. I am a naturalized citizen from Algeria / France,at the time it belonged to France , and DAMN PROUD OF IT. Many years ago when we came here we did not know how to speak English. We wanted to and therefore worked very hard at it. We were not given any special privileges and didn't expect any. I'm tired of choosing 1 for english 2 for spanish. How about French, German Chinese, Japanese, Polish,Ukraine?? I think you get the point.I'm tired of the political correctness. How about our government listening to us and doing what is right? If this Latinos bit weren't crammed down our throats maybe we wouldn't be so bitter and complain. We can only take so much!!!!! . So-- what it comes down to....come in legally, learn OUR language, TURN IN AND GET RID OF YOUR NEIGHBORS WHO AREN'T.--- POLICE YOUR OWN!! DO YOU LIKE LIVING IN NEIGHBORHOODS WITH DRUGS ETC??? If only the people who know the ones who are illegal would say so maybe we would get rid of them. However, the first thing is to secure the borders, ALL OF THEM STRAIGHT ACROSS! CONGRESS-- YOU WORK FOR US NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. DO SOMETHING AND DO IT RIGHT AND --NOW!!! MAY GOD BLESS THIS COUNTRY THAT I HAVE COME TO LOVE.!!!!!!"
I agree with everything this person posted. Unfortunately, when you allow criminals to live freely in the U.S. (I consider Illegals criminals as they are breaking the law), then it's a very trying situation to get them to understand that all types of law breaking should not be tolerated.

I've heard/read arguments that the Illegals don't want to call the Police when they see criminal activity for fear of being deported, but I think it's more of a matter that they somehow side with or feel sympathy for the criminals. Many of their own children join gangs and gangs sell drugs to make money, so to them it would be disloyal to call the Police on your own children and relatives.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
if you could show that illegals were taking away skilled jobs like doctors, lawyers, teachers, then I think more people would care. as it is not many people are gonna get their panties in a bunch about the job at the taco bell. like in my first posts it is about priorities, or when you parent a teen. you pick your battles. I would battle if a school teacher was shut out but not so much for a taco bell worker. true or not many people believe a lot of "legal" kids wouldn't take the taco bell job to begin with. the principle may be the same but a teacher's job is worth far more people's time to fight for than that of a fast food worker.

The Illegals that come here straight from their old country aren't going to qualify for the professional jobs like Doctors, Lawyers and Teachers but giving Financial Aid to their children gives them (and already has) the ability to get the education to qualify.

Yes I have a big issue with the "rewards" the U.S. Government gives to the "anchor babies".
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
As I have said many times before having to learn Spanish to get a job in one's own English speaking country is directly due to the high influx of Spanish speaking illegals. It isn't the same thing as having to learn how to put on a roof to become a roofer. It irritates me when people say "well learn Spanish then" to stay competive in the job market.
That irritates me too and it shouldn't be an issue at all. As I was told by older generations, employees were expected to learn English to get a job. Now it's the other way around? Something's not right anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or