Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 11:03 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I don't mean to say that we shouldn't fight for a citizen to work at a fast food joint, I am saying if you want the public to "care" about what jobs illegals are taking away from US citizens they should be something more people can relate to. your example of construction workers is something more people would get behind than fast food. fast food business unless you are the owner has a very transient work force, it doesn't pay well enough for many people to make a career out of and it is usually just a stop over job as a young person goes through life to something more meaningful.

part of the problem is a low paying job, is a low paying job, no owner is gona want to give a worker 15, 20 bucks an hour for something that is minimum wage. it would drive the price of his product up so high no one would buy and he would lose his business. exactly whats happened with out sourcing. americans want way more than minimum wage. it is a rare young person that will work anywhere for 8 bucks an hour.
I know a lot of teenagers and elderly that would (and do) work for minimum wage.
That's like saying that teens back in the 70's didn't want to work for minimum wage (which was around $2.35).
Teens want the jobs, but illegals are taking them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 11:15 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I know a lot of teenagers and elderly that would (and do) work for minimum wage.
That's like saying that teens back in the 70's didn't want to work for minimum wage (which was around $2.35).
Teens want the jobs, but illegals are taking them.
There's also PLENTY of adults that have exhausted UE benefits that would happily take minimum wage just to keep their heads above water until the economy gets better.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:25 AM

530 posts, read 1,130,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
What are some reasons that cause those who dismiss illegal immigration as not being an issue to not care?

I hear/see a lot of passive responses to the issue of illegal immigration and sometimes it just leaves you amazed at how much some people couldn't care less about illegal immigration and illegal residency. You know, there will be some incident that happens involving an undocumented person and one of your friends, stranger, colleague or a family member will say something along the lines of, "Oh, they just want to work," "they aren't taking anything," or "Why do people care?" Or there is that climate across the country that brings illegal immigration to the front and you have the sides: those who are concerned and those who aren't.

It is frustrating sometimes to see or hear someone just write illegal immigration off as if it is not a serious issue or as if it won't cause our country issues down the road. At the same time, I don't have a problem with people who simply don't care because of their approach to life and humanity. However, I am somewhat of a hippy myself, but even I see the issues with illegal immigration and it bothers me to think of the injustices and violations towards legal US residents and/or citizens that are going on now or are brewing for the future.

I think the new campaign should be reminding people (legal residents of the US) of why they might want to actually not just ignore illegal immigration.
I will tell you that when I lived in the South a few years ago I did not understand the problem people had/have with illegal immigrants. My very dear friend moved to San Diego from the south also. I would talk to him occassionally on the phone and he would always say "I hate Illegals," I couldn't believe my ears when he told me this. I would tell him "oh you are soo mean, how could you ever say that about anyone or any group". THEN I moved to Los Angeles and it all sunk in. Seriously and sadly it all sunk in. I feel like I live in a 3rd World Country here in Los Angeles. It is so filthy and disgusting. And yes I feel the racism towards my boyfriend and I. I have an apartment building here and we were enforcing new rules for the building (just bought building) and some of these people would yell things like "I am not listening to these damn gringos!" I have never heard these words before. And some tenants would call me a putta (however spelled), etc.

I could not believe and still cannot believe the way these people act. And their sense of entitlement, oh my I have never in my life seen such behavior.

I could go on and on with stories but my bottom line is and like some other people have posted: the people who sympathize with illegal aliens are not affected by them!

Old 09-19-2010, 01:04 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
There's also PLENTY of adults that have exhausted UE benefits that would happily take minimum wage just to keep their heads above water until the economy gets better.
That is so true. I'm sure many of them applied for a job at the local fast food place and were never called.
I actually had an English speaking teen boy take my order at McDonald's last week. The whole crew is locals, from teens to grandma.
I live in a small town. The big city is where the illegals can be found working in fast food. I HATE giving my order to someone who not only can't understand me, but can't even speak a lick of English. For example: I always order milk with my meals, no matter where, so when I got my order my milk my not there. I went back to the counter and told the woman that my milk was missing. She tried to give me a pack of bar-b-q sauce. I said, "No, I want milk, you know, m...i...l...k. Cow." Her eyes lit up on cow and she actually mooed, but I got my milk.

I recently found out that we had a bunch of illegal men (from Mexico - they like to boast) living and working nearby. I also found out that they have been reported on a number of times. They are doing a seasonal job, so they may leave here when it is over. (One can hope!)
We don't want them here!

Old 09-19-2010, 07:27 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
I don't mean to say that we shouldn't fight for a citizen to work at a fast food joint, I am saying if you want the public to "care" about what jobs illegals are taking away from US citizens they should be something more people can relate to. your example of construction workers is something more people would get behind than fast food. fast food business unless you are the owner has a very transient work force, it doesn't pay well enough for many people to make a career out of and it is usually just a stop over job as a young person goes through life to something more meaningful.

part of the problem is a low paying job, is a low paying job, no owner is gona want to give a worker 15, 20 bucks an hour for something that is minimum wage. it would drive the price of his product up so high no one would buy and he would lose his business. exactly whats happened with out sourcing. americans want way more than minimum wage. it is a rare young person that will work anywhere for 8 bucks an hour.
There would be no need to pay that kind of money for help in a fast food place because we have enough young people and seniors that need those jobs but since many of those places hire only Spanish speakers now whether they be legal or illegal they discriminate against English speaking Americans. If they can't find enough Americans to do those jobs then they should hire legal immigrants not illegal ones.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:02 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post
I will tell you that when I lived in the South a few years ago I did not understand the problem people had/have with illegal immigrants. My very dear friend moved to San Diego from the south also. I would talk to him occassionally on the phone and he would always say "I hate Illegals," I couldn't believe my ears when he told me this. I would tell him "oh you are soo mean, how could you ever say that about anyone or any group". THEN I moved to Los Angeles and it all sunk in. Seriously and sadly it all sunk in. I feel like I live in a 3rd World Country here in Los Angeles. It is so filthy and disgusting. And yes I feel the racism towards my boyfriend and I. I have an apartment building here and we were enforcing new rules for the building (just bought building) and some of these people would yell things like "I am not listening to these damn gringos!" I have never heard these words before. And some tenants would call me a putta (however spelled), etc.

I could not believe and still cannot believe the way these people act. And their sense of entitlement, oh my I have never in my life seen such behavior.

I could go on and on with stories but my bottom line is and like some other people have posted: the people who sympathize with illegal aliens are not affected by them!
Thank you for posting, I see this EVERY day. I would probably have to tell those people that they are LUCKY to even be HERE.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:

What? People aren't going to care about fast food workers? Like I said earlier, most of the population isn't working as doctors and lawyers. There is a large population of people who can't work anything but the jobs like fast food and that is a large population, so I don't understand why you are saying most people wouldn't care about this.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:26 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
I think a major reason people don't care about illegal immigration is because none of their leaders really care either. The media doesn't care, corporate leaders don't care, scholastic leaders don't care and political leaders could care even less.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:09 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post

Very true. Having close relatives who owned several rental properties and seeing the phony (stolen) SSNs for applications used (I worked in their credit approval department part time), the poor attitude and attraction to guns and destruction of property can make anyone with an open mind become closed very quickly.

By the way, my relatives got out of the property owning business because the good people would not stay in those properties when "they" would move in and bringing their troubles with them. My relatives were losing thousands of dollars each and every month from this change. And when you're provided with phony identification or the wrong persons SSN, you can't chase these people when they move in 10 men without permission (using one guy with the best credit to fill out the application and claim it's for him only) into a studio apartment, damage it and then disappear in the middle of the night.

The tricks and deviant behavior I saw these people pull over and over again amazed me. Don't get me wrong, there were people who were born in the U.S. who were tricksters too, but they were still outnumbered.

And I was called a "Putta" too, to my face (if I spell it correctly, it gets banned), but that was at a fancy Restaurant by a busboy. Not cool.

Last edited by ladysovereign; 09-19-2010 at 02:18 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I think a major reason people don't care about illegal immigration is because none of their leaders really care either. The media doesn't care, corporate leaders don't care, scholastic leaders don't care and political leaders could care even less.
True.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration