U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 05:25 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,214,097 times

Advertisements

I don't care, and I am not a hippy. I am a realist. We've had Mexican enter this country to work since long before anyone alive today has been walking. They come because their country does not support their needs, in part because of our policies toward them.

If it wasn't in our interests to have them come here, we would not have the long-standing relation with them that we have. Go to any field that needs harvesting, and you will find migrant workers. Our agricultural industries have depended upon them for decades.

What people are really concerned about today is the drug traffic, and that, too, is our problem, not Mexico's. We are the demand market that brings them here. Rather than deal with our problem at home, we spend BILLIONS to pretend it is their problem.

I speak to the Mexican immigrants, but it's our foreign policies all over the globe that suppress foreign economies, pushing people to decide to try to come here -- where people are fat and live the good life. When we choose to tell our government and businesses to get out of other countries' interests, and start minding the store at home, THEN we will have a leg to stand on in the illegal immigration problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 05:51 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I don't care, and I am not a hippy. I am a realist. We've had Mexican enter this country to work since long before anyone alive today has been walking. They come because their country does not support their needs, in part because of our policies toward them.

If it wasn't in our interests to have them come here, we would not have the long-standing relation with them that we have. Go to any field that needs harvesting, and you will find migrant workers. Our agricultural industries have depended upon them for decades.

What people are really concerned about today is the drug traffic, and that, too, is our problem, not Mexico's. We are the demand market that brings them here. Rather than deal with our problem at home, we spend BILLIONS to pretend it is their problem.

I speak to the Mexican immigrants, but it's our foreign policies all over the globe that suppress foreign economies, pushing people to decide to try to come here -- where people are fat and live the good life. When we choose to tell our government and businesses to get out of other countries' interests, and start minding the store at home, THEN we will have a leg to stand on in the illegal immigration problem.
Just because a person's government isn't taking care of their needs does not justify them violating another country's immigration laws. Fight for change in your own country then.

As for illegal aliens working the fields there are unlimited visas available to the farmers for legal foreign workers so what is their excuse? They aren't just taking crop picking jobs. Crop pickers only make up 2% of our workforce.

Drug trafficing is a seperate problem from illegal aliens entering our country to work, or are criminals or terrorists. However, most of these drugs are coming through our southern border. Both the supplier and the user are to blame.

Every country has their own corrupt in their own governments who make bad policy however that doesn't negate the right of its CITIZENS to demand that their immigration laws be respected and enforced. We don't have a vote in the foreign policies and actions that our government takes and we aren't about to accept being invaded by millions of foreigners illegally over it.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:14 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,581,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

You know, at first, I was kinda feeling your post. I mean, I accepted and understood that you don't care and that you don't have to be some hippy to not care about this. All of that I agree with, respect and understand. However, then you started talking about how Mexicans have been coming here longer than any of us have been walking, which is true, but how does that make a person care less about not being able to take a part-time job at a restaurant because an undocumented worker is working that job? Then you started talking about how their country isn't good enough for them to live there, to which my thought was "Don't you think their country has a responsibility to make it better?" Then you started talking about agricultural work. I don't know if you realize it or not but MOST and the MAJORITY of undocumented people are not working in fields. Then you started talking about the drug trade and trafficking which really has very little to do with illegal immigration in comparison to the other reasons why they come and why they are here.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:48 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,197,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post
I will tell you that when I lived in the South a few years ago I did not understand the problem people had/have with illegal immigrants. My very dear friend moved to San Diego from the south also. I would talk to him occassionally on the phone and he would always say "I hate Illegals," I couldn't believe my ears when he told me this. I would tell him "oh you are soo mean, how could you ever say that about anyone or any group". THEN I moved to Los Angeles and it all sunk in. Seriously and sadly it all sunk in. I feel like I live in a 3rd World Country here in Los Angeles. It is so filthy and disgusting. And yes I feel the racism towards my boyfriend and I. I have an apartment building here and we were enforcing new rules for the building (just bought building) and some of these people would yell things like "I am not listening to these damn gringos!" I have never heard these words before. And some tenants would call me a putta (however spelled), etc.

I could not believe and still cannot believe the way these people act. And their sense of entitlement, oh my I have never in my life seen such behavior.

I could go on and on with stories but my bottom line is and like some other people have posted: the people who sympathize with illegal aliens are not affected by them!
I lived in SoCal for 36 yr's and then moved to Oklahoma which is just the reverse life style of SoCal.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:05 PM

526 posts, read 412,003 times
The people that post on these forums are not representative of the "average" American. What I mean by that is that the vast majority of people posting here are fairly articulate, computer literate, and have a command of and interest in the issues involved. The "average" person in this country does not read newspapers, political blogs, news magazines, or serious books. What little news they get is from a cursory perusal of TV news or what they hear from friends or co-workers. In a word, they are IGNORANT, and frankly aren't too curious about the world.

I see this at work all the time. The number of people I talk to (many who have college degrees) that have little knowledge of what is going on in the world and have more interest in "American Idol" than anything else, always amazes me. Why do you think we see voting rates in this country for presidential elections under 55% ? Roughly half the country can't be bothered to vote for the most important office in our republic. Do you think those people have a clue about anything? Even among people who do vote, most people can only relate to ONE issue at a time. Right now it is the economy, and that's how people will vote.

For me, illegal immigration is a huge issue for the following reasons:

-I am a life long resident of southern California, and I have seen with my own eyes the changes (very few for the better) as a result of a massive influx of illegals. Crime, gangs, drugs, once middle class neighborhoods become barrios, overburdened public schools, an increasingly poor and uneducated population, the suppression of blue collar wages.

-Illegal immigration touches on so many other issues: national security, poverty, education, wages, health care, the abandonment of the traditional melting pot and a sense of shared values and citizenship.

-Illegal immigration is a long term problem, and the trends frankly have me extremely worried about where this country is headed

-The fact that this problem is relatively simple to solve has me angry and frustrated. If the political/economic elite wanted to solve it, they could in a few years: mandatory employment verification, massive penalties to employers, serious border security, cutting off all social benefits to illegals, a massive effort to increase detention facilities and actively deport ALL illegals in federal custody.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:12 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,944,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
The people that post on these forums are not representative of the "average" American. What I mean by that is that the vast majority of people posting here are fairly articulate, computer literate, and have a command of and interest in the issues involved. The "average" person in this country does not read newspapers, political blogs, news magazines, or serious books. What little news they get is from a cursory perusal of TV news or what they hear from friends or co-workers. In a word, they are IGNORANT, and frankly aren't too curious about the world.

I see this at work all the time. The number of people I talk to (many who have college degrees) that have little knowledge of what is going on in the world and have more interest in "American Idol" than anything else, always amazes me. Why do you think we see voting rates in this country for presidential elections under 55% ? Roughly half the country can't be bothered to vote for the most important office in our republic. Do you think those people have a clue about anything?.

^^This is spot on..........it constantly amazes and appalls me how very little interest there seems to be in "issues" among the majority of people I run across in real life (as opposed to online)

Old 09-19-2010, 10:09 PM

233 posts, read 389,619 times
I think for the most part people do care about this problem. I think they just feel so overwhelmed and helpless to really see anything done about it by this government. It used to be the government took the will of the citizens to heart, now it is more like we are their sheep and expected to eat whatever they force feed us. We no longer have a say in this countries policies and laws and worst of all this country does not give a damn about its own people, it is more worried about the image they project to others. The people running this country know exactly how the American people and LEGAL immigrants feel about what is going on, however they care little about those feelings and will do as they damn well please every time.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:36 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post

I see this at work all the time. The number of people I talk to (many who have college degrees) that have little knowledge of what is going on in the world and have more interest in "American Idol" than anything else, always amazes me. Why do you think we see voting rates in this country for presidential elections under 55% ? Roughly half the country can't be bothered to vote for the most important office in our republic. Do you think those people have a clue about anything? Even among people who do vote, most people can only relate to ONE issue at a time. Right now it is the economy, and that's how people will vote.

For me, illegal immigration is a huge issue for the following reasons:

-I am a life long resident of southern California, and I have seen with my own eyes the changes (very few for the better) as a result of a massive influx of illegals. Crime, gangs, drugs, once middle class neighborhoods become barrios, overburdened public schools, an increasingly poor and uneducated population, the suppression of blue collar wages.

-Illegal immigration touches on so many other issues: national security, poverty, education, wages, health care, the abandonment of the traditional melting pot and a sense of shared values and citizenship.

-Illegal immigration is a long term problem, and the trends frankly have me extremely worried about where this country is headed

-The fact that this problem is relatively simple to solve has me angry and frustrated. If the political/economic elite wanted to solve it, they could in a few years: mandatory employment verification, massive penalties to employers, serious border security, cutting off all social benefits to illegals, a massive effort to increase detention facilities and actively deport ALL illegals in federal custody.
Thank you, thank you. This one of the best posts I have read in a long time.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:50 AM

216 posts, read 198,544 times
[quote=NeutralZone;15953236]The people that post on these forums are not representative of the "average" American. What I mean by that is that the vast majority of people posting here are fairly articulate, computer literate, and have a command of and interest in the issues involved. The "average" person in this country does not read newspapers, political blogs, news magazines, or serious books. What little news they get is from a cursory perusal of TV news or what they hear from friends or co-workers. In a word, they are IGNORANT, and frankly aren't too curious about the world.

This is becoming a much more spoken about issue , people everywhere are talking to each other about how sick and tired they are of the invasion.
Califonia is where I am . I constantly hear this from strangers too. Seems the PC correctness has fallen by the wayside. People are mad as hell.
When they could no longer afford to send their kids to good private schools was just the tip of the iceberg. Most now see just how bad it is.
when the american kids are treated like outsiders.
Those that were complacent on the issue now are not, this may be due to the massive lost of wealth from the transfer to the government and banks. many people have no retirement money now and need those low skilled jobs to survive. If this continues california will lose what little middle class there is and we will only have rich and poor. very close now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or