Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:46 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
What about the folks in the construction industry? Roofers, drywallers, and masons? Housing might be down but home repairs still need to be done.
Where I live it is the H.S kids who work in the fast food resturants, for landscapers cutting grass, pool companies cleaning and installing pools etc.
As a tax payer anyone and everyone should care about the huge cost of illegals.
As a licensed driver we should all care about non-english speakers on our roads but most especially about unlicensed uninsured illegals.
Anyone with a credit card should care because illegals using your name and ssn can destroy your credit causing you untold hours of aggrivation getting it straightened out.
As I said before most who don't care fall under just a few catagories.
Didn't do anything to me so not my problem.
I use illegal labor and save a bundle.
I have a friend or family member who is an illegal.
I used taco bell as the question posed to me was about fast food and why I thought people wouldn't care as per this topic. yes, add in roofers and the construction industry and people would be more sympathetic. I have no problem and often wonder why we are not fining our employers who hire illegals. I would hope this would at least deter employers from hiring illegals but we don't seem to bother with that for some reason. I don't see how you will ever get rid of the individual who takes advantage of the cheap help waiting for a cash day job. that goes to the character of the person looking to save 20 bucks when he has his lawn mowed. shame on them.

the non english speaking on the roads doesn't overly bother me as most of our road signs are obvious as to what they mean. I would put the uninsured or unlicensed american citizen in the same category as the illegal in this case.

credit cards fraud I agree it is a huge problem, it is a huge problem with the american criminal element as well. criminal activity like this cross the color and ethnic line. in fairness to any statics the illegal contribution should be measure in % of the overall activity not as a blanketed reason for the problem in general. sometimes when you are passionate about things it is easy to overlook. crime crosses all boundaries, it is a mind set not an ethnic thing.

adding to your great list I would add
I have a friend or family member who is an illegal
apathetic about everything in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 12:49 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
What are some reasons that cause those who dismiss illegal immigration as not being an issue to not care?

I hear/see a lot of passive responses to the issue of illegal immigration and sometimes it just leaves you amazed at how much some people couldn't care less about illegal immigration and illegal residency. You know, there will be some incident that happens involving an undocumented person and one of your friends, stranger, colleague or a family member will say something along the lines of, "Oh, they just want to work," "they aren't taking anything," or "Why do people care?" Or there is that climate across the country that brings illegal immigration to the front and you have the sides: those who are concerned and those who aren't.

It is frustrating sometimes to see or hear someone just write illegal immigration off as if it is not a serious issue or as if it won't cause our country issues down the road. At the same time, I don't have a problem with people who simply don't care because of their approach to life and humanity. However, I am somewhat of a hippy myself, but even I see the issues with illegal immigration and it bothers me to think of the injustices and violations towards legal US residents and/or citizens that are going on now or are brewing for the future.

I think the new campaign should be reminding people (legal residents of the US) of why they might want to actually not just ignore illegal immigration.
Ahhhh cause they are illegal immigrants?

Old 09-18-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
As I have said many times before having to learn Spanish to get a job in one's own English speaking country is directly due to the high influx of Spanish speaking illegals. It isn't the same thing as having to learn how to put on a roof to become a roofer. It irritates me when people say "well learn Spanish then" to stay competive in the job market.

I agree that if this problem is ignored it will just get much worse. Kind of like a cancerous tumor if you don't get treatment for it it will get larger and quite possibly kill you in the long run.

So true that most illegals aren't just working at Taco Bell. Many of them are taking other blue collar jobs that most adult Americans will do. Those jobs at Taco Bell used to be held by our youth looking for spending money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
The Illegals that come here straight from their old country aren't going to qualify for the professional jobs like Doctors, Lawyers and Teachers but giving Financial Aid to their children gives them (and already has) the ability to get the education to qualify.

Yes I have a big issue with the "rewards" the U.S. Government gives to the "anchor babies".

That irritates me too and it shouldn't be an issue at all. As I was told by older generations, employees were expected to learn English to get a job. Now it's the other way around? Something's not right anymore!
spanish has been spoken in this country since before we were the USA you can go back to just the 40's and 50's and there were communities of spanish speaking. people have learned and do communicate in spanish in this counrty. language is about communication and friendship. you want people to assimilate to english, thats great and I agree there too. however if I have a spanish speaking neighbor or I shop in a spanish speaking store, I should have the simple ability to say hello, how are you, how much is this?, nice day today, in spanish as a way of simple open communication. a neighbor and you may speak only english most of the time but saying a little something in spanish is a way to tell them you care enough about who they are to acknowledge it with a simple greeting. be they russian, chinese, or spanish. in hawaii it is aloha, mahalo and a hui ho. are we so elitist that we only want to say things in english?

if I own a company even here in america if I want people to speak spanish to do the job I have in mind, I see it only as another requirement for that particular job. you not qualified don't apply. why should a boss hire someone who can't communicate in a way that is needed for the job?

Old 09-18-2010, 01:01 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,520,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Being accepting of illegal immigration is what the Media and the politicos have conditioned people to believe is normal.
As long as the murders, rapes, kidnappings, ID theft, and credit fraud is happening to everyone EXCEPT our elected local/state/federal officials, their family members, and close friends -- illegal Entry into the U.S.A. is officially NOT A PROBLEM.

The 23rd Psalm of the ILLEGALS:

Obama is my shepherd; That I shall not want. He allows my children to attend your schools; he leads me to the ACORN office. He gives me WIC commodities
...for my kids, he moves me to the head of the unemployment line.

Yea, though I cross through holes in the border fence, I will not fear immigration agents or Border Patrol; For Obama protects me and the democratic party and the liberals comfort me. Sanctuary cities protect me from Nazi, racist conservatives. Obama gives citizenship to my newborns; My uninsured and unregistered pickup truck and work van run on ... See Moreyour roads.

All of my amigos and familia will follow me across the border for all eternity and we will dwell, 4 to 5 families per home in section 8 housing, forever. Amen.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
As long as the murders, rapes, kidnappings, ID theft, and credit fraud is happening to everyone EXCEPT our elected local/state/federal officials, their family members, and close friends -- illegal Entry into the U.S.A. is officially NOT A PROBLEM.

The 23rd Psalm of the ILLEGALS:

Obama is my shepherd; That I shall not want. He allows my children to attend your schools; he leads me to the ACORN office. He gives me WIC commodities
...for my kids, he moves me to the head of the unemployment line.

Yea, though I cross through holes in the border fence, I will not fear immigration agents or Border Patrol; For Obama protects me and the democratic party and the liberals comfort me. Sanctuary cities protect me from Nazi, racist conservatives. Obama gives citizenship to my newborns; My uninsured and unregistered pickup truck and work van run on ... See Moreyour roads.

All of my amigos and familia will follow me across the border for all eternity and we will dwell, 4 to 5 families per home in section 8 housing, forever. Amen.
I can fully support your thinking that crime has not hit our lawmakers personally. the illegal problem did not start with obama and GWB should be added to your prayer, seems his admin turned a blind eye

Old 09-18-2010, 01:35 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
spanish has been spoken in this country since before we were the USA you can go back to just the 40's and 50's and there were communities of spanish speaking. people have learned and do communicate in spanish in this counrty. language is about communication and friendship. you want people to assimilate to english, thats great and I agree there too. however if I have a spanish speaking neighbor or I shop in a spanish speaking store, I should have the simple ability to say hello, how are you, how much is this?, nice day today, in spanish as a way of simple open communication. a neighbor and you may speak only english most of the time but saying a little something in spanish is a way to tell them you care enough about who they are to
Quote:
acknowledge it with a simple greeting
. be they russian, chinese, or spanish. in hawaii it is aloha, mahalo and a hui ho. are we so elitist that we only want to say things in english?

if I own a company even here in america if I want people to speak spanish to do the job I have in mind, I see it only as another requirement for that particular job. you not qualified don't apply. why should a boss hire someone who can't communicate in a way that is needed for the job?
Here's my "simple greeting" in spanish.......

muéstreme su tarjeta verde...."show me your green card" ?
or
Hasta La Vista Baby........Cheerio

Last edited by mkfarnam; 09-18-2010 at 01:52 PM..

Old 09-18-2010, 01:53 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,520,819 times
Quote:
I can fully support your thinking that crime has not hit our lawmakers personally. the illegal problem did not start with obama and GWB should be added to your prayer, seems his admin turned a blind eye
I'm fully aware that this issue did not start with Obama
in fact you can go back further then GWB

It has sadly escalated under the current administration
as like most of the 'MISGUIDED' polices of Obama as to what the American people have wanted from him and his 'People' who have clearly shown that their agenda it what's
important to them

The security of the United States of America is in the hands
of some very incompetent people who have no idea what's
going on along the border and refuse to let the people
hired to do that job

I hope soon we will see some accountability from the policy
makers in DC as to why for them this is not an issue that
is of the most important to our National Security

If someone or something slips through their bigger problem
will become the American Citizen

I believe more people are starting to care about Illegal
entry into the United States and the ones who don't
are part of the problem !

Where on earth is there a less secure border then the one
along the southern border along the U.S. & Mexico

I do consider this a slap in the face to the people who gave
more then I ever could to have a free life and the security
that the president took an OATH to uphold !

Old 09-18-2010, 05:23 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,104 times
Quote:
I don't think we have a relaxed attitude about it. the trouble is we have lots of issues that are as pressing as this. the news has an hour to tell the public about the world events, national events and then local events. thats a lot of stuff to cram into an hour or less. the problems in bringing change or awareness to a population is only a small segment of the population really cares, and depending on the individual, the interest is either acute, passing or nil.

the costs have been covered well in the news. in the last few years with Az. law, more and more people are aware of what is really going on. I can't see the news agencies devoting anymore time to the issue than they do now. you are correct in that unless our law makers start enforcing the laws we have the situation will only get bigger in the years to come. I wondered in a posting a few months back about a tea party like group that want to bring more awareness to the issues but was told that was a stupid idea by a few people here. change comes from awareness. the tea party, agree with them or not, have come a long way in a very short amount of time. I can't imagine a group like that couldn't be effective for this issue. part of the problem is most people like to gripe about the troubles in our country, very few of us actually go out into the community and work for the change we think is important.

the barn door is already open and some of the trouble we face will not go away even if we are able to stop things from here on out. spanish speakers for one. there are enough spanish speaking people in our country now that we/employers want people who speak spanish because they feel it is an asset. in this I have no problems. just like some jobs you need a degree or experience, these employers want spanish speaking. get educated in spanish, get a degree if you want to apply for a job that requires these things or look for another job.

if you could show that illegals were taking away skilled jobs like doctors, lawyers, teachers, then I think more people would care. as it is not many people are gonna get their panties in a bunch about the job at the taco bell. like in my first posts it is about priorities, or when you parent a teen. you pick your battles. I would battle if a school teacher was shut out but not so much for a taco bell worker. true or not many people believe a lot of "legal" kids wouldn't take the taco bell job to begin with.
the principle may be the same but a teacher's job is worth far more people's time to fight for than that of a fast food worker.

I am all for HUGE fines for the employer that hires illegals
Thanks, makes sense. However, the only thing I have to comment about is what you said about lawyers, doctors, etc. Most people aren't doctors or lawyers, so wouldn't that mean that the people left over after doctors, etc. are those who are affected be illegal immigration? I am kinda surprised by your concept that "Taco Bell workers" shouldn't be battled for. A lot of people can't do anything but work in service-based jobs, those jobs are being shared with undocumented workers. Most of the US isn't rich, doctors, lawyers, etc. and especially now, people wouldn't mind working in a full-service restaurant or fast food restaurant. Those who are legal residents, high school students and those without higher education didn't mind working those fast food jobs in the past, so what makes you think it is different now? The truth, in my opinion, is that the allowance of illegal immigration over all those years and illegal employment has conditioned us into thinking that those jobs are jobs that non immigrants won't do.

No one had a problem with working in food service, factories, until they started trying to tell us that we were too lazy to do them or uninterested in them. If a restaurant was well-managed, paid fair wages and had the standards of the old days, legal residents would be working in them. (That's why illegal immigration is like slave labor. They put them in these sub-par environments to work in and that turns off the legal residents from working in them.) When I was in high school (8 years ago), we didn't have a problem with working in fast food ... that is what you did. When you went to college, you worked another service job. So, it was never, "Eww, food service." People don't have a problem working in these places. The illegal immigration supporters want to try to make it look like we don't want to work them. In some places that have a high population of undocumented workers, you couldn't even get a job if you walked in and wanted one. The reason could be they have way too many workers already or because they don't hire anyone but Hispanic, Spanish-speaking people who are probably cousins or brothers of the undocumented worker that is already working there.

Last edited by SoEdible; 09-18-2010 at 05:38 PM..

Old 09-18-2010, 05:37 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
What about the folks in the construction industry? Roofers, drywallers, and masons? Housing might be down but home repairs still need to be done.
Where I live it is the H.S kids who work in the fast food resturants, for landscapers cutting grass, pool companies cleaning and installing pools etc.
As a tax payer anyone and everyone should care about the huge cost of illegals.
As a licensed driver we should all care about non-english speakers on our roads but most especially about unlicensed uninsured illegals.
Anyone with a credit card should care because illegals using your name and ssn can destroy your credit causing you untold hours of aggrivation getting it straightened out.
As I said before most who don't care fall under just a few catagories.
I have a friend or family member who is an illegal.
Ain't that the truth.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:46 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
I used taco bell as the question posed to me was about fast food and why I thought people wouldn't care as per this topic. yes, add in roofers and the construction industry and people would be more sympathetic. I have no problem and often wonder why we are not fining our employers who hire illegals. I would hope this would at least deter employers from hiring illegals but we don't seem to bother with that for some reason. I don't see how you will ever get rid of the individual who takes advantage of the cheap help waiting for a cash day job. that goes to the character of the person looking to save 20 bucks when he has his lawn mowed. shame on them.

the non english speaking on the roads doesn't overly bother me as most of our road signs are obvious as to what they mean. I would put the uninsured or unlicensed american citizen in the same category as the illegal in this case.

credit cards fraud I agree it is a huge problem, it is a huge problem with the american criminal element as well. criminal activity like this cross the color and ethnic line. in fairness to any statics the illegal contribution should be measure in % of the overall activity not as a blanketed reason for the problem in general. sometimes when you are passionate about things it is easy to overlook. crime crosses all boundaries, it is a mind set not an ethnic thing.

adding to your great list I would add
I have a friend or family member who is an illegal
apathetic about everything in life.
FYI, many employers have been caught, fined and jailed although not on a large scale as it should be. That is why I am an advocate for e-verify in every workplace. That way neither the employer nor the employee can get away not following our immigration and labor laws.

Crime may cross all bounderies such as I.D. theft but do we really want to add illegals to the mix? It is enough to have to deal with our home grown criminals. Same goes for the unlicensed and uninsured American. We are stuck with them and should deal with them as they are caught but we don't need to be adding illegal aliens to that mix either through turning a blind eye to an unsecured border and only enforcing the law against hard core criminal aliens rather then catching, detaining and deporting all of them as they are found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration