U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:00 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,587,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
Not really. It can have benefits. They're not invaders. That's a little on the dramatic. Again, and what I get flack for, is stating the obvious...it's not a morality issue and it's really a complex topic. Apparently, many people feel that is a an insult to their views.

Not to mention that deportation would create a whole host problems. So there has to be some amnesty with some punitive measures as well as deportation of those who have committed felonies. It's impunity. I think that there can be a good temperate solution.
So, if illegal immigration is NOT a morality issue then why are you getting so emotional and bent out of shape about it? Deportation itself wouldn't create a whole host of problems and even I agree that a complete deportation is really unrealistic and if is to be done would take forever. So, what amount of deportation would you be OK with? "Punitive measures?" Do you realize how awesome it is to be a citizen of this country? The doors that it opens for you, the opportunities you have and the benefits, services and assistance you then have available to you? Do you really think all undocumented immigrants who aren't felons deserve to have that or should have that before anyone else, all because they were able to sneak into the country or lie to their employer and stay beyond their visa? The punishment of being here undocumented will mean nothing to an undocumented immigrant once they are a year, two and three years into their newly-acquired legal status. That's basically no punishment, basically, the ability to be on your way to become a citizen here blows ANY punishment out of the water.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:24 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,388,471 times
Quote:
Not really. It can have benefits. They're not invaders. That's a little on the dramatic. Again, and what I get flack for, is stating the obvious...it's not a morality issue and it's really a complex topic. Apparently, many people feel that is a an insult to their views.

Not to mention that deportation would create a whole host problems. So there has to be some amnesty with some punitive measures as well as deportation of those who have committed felonies. It's impunity. I think that there can be a good temperate solution.
Can it have benefits?

Yes. But such benefits are not to most Americans.

Are they invaders? Well yes. What else do you call a group of people who willfully ignore a country's laws and move there against the will of the majority of citizens?

How is anything but immoral to disregard another country's laws?

Does deportation create problems? Some, yes. Does it create a tenth as many problems as illegal migration? No, not really. Communities are left to grapple with all kinds of effects from illegal migrants including increased pressure on social services, a large non-English speaking population and a group of people who don't feel the need to comply with many laws including those governing residency and employment.

This issue is complex. It's certainly a lot more complex than those evil racists and their simplistic agenda the way you've so blithely implied.

The temperate solution is to say look we have laws on immigration. We're going to enforce those laws. You don't like those laws? We don't care. Obey them and come here legally or suffer the unpleasant consequences.

Every other nation on the planet behaves that way. We should too.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:55 PM

166 posts, read 212,433 times
Quote:
This is what I'm talking about. So when I get attacked, it's okay. But when I bring up a fallacy. This happens. It's your problem.

Thank You. You just proved my point. However, I am certain that one day you'll mature into a thinking adult. We'll be patient.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:29 AM

344 posts, read 153,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ten View Post
Thank You. You just proved my point. However, I am certain that one day you'll mature into a thinking adult. We'll be patient.
What are you talking about? You just attacked me. I pointed out that you're mad because I have ladysovereign, AnnieA, Chicagonut, 1AngryTaxpayer, Malamute, you, and probably a half dozen other people, calling me names...and when I treat them just as "well", I'm the bad guy. Or when I state that a particular point is illogical because of xyz, I'm bad. What on earth sense does that make?

Old 09-19-2010, 12:38 AM

166 posts, read 212,433 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? You just attacked me. I pointed out that you're mad because I have ladysovereign, AnnieA, Chicagonut, 1AngryTaxpayer, Malamute, you, and probably a half dozen other people, calling me names...and when I treat them just as "well", I'm the bad guy. Or when I state that a particular point is illogical because of xyz, I'm bad. What on earth sense does that make?
Son, a piece of advice. When you find yourself in a hole it's time to quit digging.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:56 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,652,671 times
Default What about the other thread you started?

What happened to your other thread?...Did you lose interest?...Or were some posts just too hard to simply dismiss?...

Why didn't you just post your agenda and points and make it a discussion rather than a game?

Old 09-19-2010, 01:13 AM

932 posts, read 1,642,673 times
What was the point of this thread anyways?

Old 09-19-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ten View Post
Son, a piece of advice. When you find yourself in a hole it's time to quit digging.
Quit digging what? The truth?

Old 09-19-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
What happened to your other thread?...Did you lose interest?...Or were some posts just too hard to simply dismiss?...

Why didn't you just post your agenda and points and make it a discussion rather than a game?
I tried to have a discussion, but a discussion requires that both sides have to come in a non-hostile way. I initially held my end of the deal. I can't quite say the same of your end.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
What was the point of this thread anyways?
Initially it was a call stating that the divisive and frankly extremist tactics and language of this forum are truly a poor reflection of how politics occurs in our nation. That it was hopefully a wake up call to say "hey, maybe this isn't the best way to conduct yourself online." Apparently, it turned into more evidence of the original thesis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration