U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:40 AM

344 posts, read 153,040 times

Advertisements

Why did you guys start with the personal attacks? I think it may be because you're so outraged at the situation it's easier to attack a person. You can go through the posts. I didn't start the attacks.

Why continue on the divisive nature of our political climate? I guess I hoped for too much...

Old 09-19-2010, 02:07 AM

mom2ten apparently feels that it's better to be divisive. That's a great start for our nation. I pray for your 10 kids.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:45 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,197,890 times
There's really nothing extreme about following the law.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:10 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
In any civil debate the rule of thumb is to not attack the messenger but the message instead. That is what we anti-illegals did initially since this issue came to the forefront in this country. However, when the other side does the reverse and we counter and defend ourselves we are accused of being the ones who started it instead and that they are the victims. I have seen these tactics used time and time again in many blogs and forums by the pro-illegals. Best to ignore these kinds of people.

Last edited by chicagonut; 09-19-2010 at 07:19 AM..

Old 09-19-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
In any civil debate the rule of thumb is to not attack the messenger but the message instead. That is what we anti-illegals did initially since this issue came to the forefront in this country. However, when the other side does the reverse and we counter and defend ourselves we are accused of being the ones who started it instead and that they are the victims. I have seen these tactics used time and time again in many blogs and forums by the pro-illegals. Best to ignore these kinds of people.
Another thread I posted how you attacked me first. The moderators even stated on another thread that your side shouldn't attack me on age, ideology, etc. This is exactly why I'm calling you a liar. You lied. You stated that you didn't attack first. It shows how you conduct your research. This is a reflection of your stance and credibility.

If you want to be civil, then start acting civil. Otherwise you can take your wax nationalism and shove it. Your superficial stance can only last so long.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:48 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,313,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
...you can take your wax nationalism and shove it.
LOL....the very reason we don't want illegals coming here.
F all illegal migrants.
F'em all for coming here illegally....lol

They're not American, they do not want to be American and they resent us for being American.

You've actually proved our point....thank-you...lol I hope I've given you some fodder to snack on while writing your blog...

Old 09-20-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
LOL....the very reason we don't want illegals coming here.
F all illegal migrants.
F'em all for coming here illegally....lol

They're not American, they do not want to be American and they resent us for being American.

You've actually proved our point....thank-you...lol I hope I've given you some fodder to snack on while writing your blog...
So you wax nationalism? That's the point? The blog, btw, is actually a series for students to understand the extremist values that may influence policy as well as how fallacies are committed in political discourse. I like to draw parallels on current discourse from the media and how the general public uses those same techniques. It's astonishing the responses I get. It's a goldmine. It all follows the same parallels. Initially the more extremist sides are reluctant of change in the status quo (think when Air America launched on AM radio). Then the initial ad hominem attacks from the same group are hurled (again the parallel is scene is mass media). Afterwards I play my part and take the logical argument. Which is then followed by an appeal to emotion (the two can be compared to when Rachel Maddow and Bill O'Reilly...Bill insinuated ad hominem attacks then Maddow came back with strong policies, which was met with an ad populum fallacy and an appeal to emotionality...in this case nationalism). Then the initial group denies the ad hominem attack (Hannity has repeatedly done during the Shirley Sharrod incident). Then finally there is a resolution. This coincides with greater sociopolitical forces, as well as economic forces. In our current climate, the general public sides with more conservative causes due the recession and a nostalgia for a simplified notion of the past. In better economic times, the public is more swayed by appeals to an end of disparity and notions of an idealized future.

This has only confirmed my initial premise. The formula...even on other forums...been confirmed.

It's a bittersweet thing. On the one hand it's good to actually teach this information (I don't plan on working with kids forever, I want to get my advanced degrees). On the other hand, it's sad that our society is this polarized. It really is sad that dissenting voices (even mildly dissenting voices) are subjected to this. Argumentum ad populum is still a fallacy. Typically its marked with the phrase: most Americans feel xyz. It's then punctuated by not look at any contradictory data and later denounced as not being good for the public since the public feels a certain way. A majority of people isn't always correct. We know this. Regardless, it's good and bad that you've confirmed what I thought.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:45 AM

Wow, way to go Chicagonut. You are following the pattern.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:26 AM
Yac

5,874 posts, read 6,292,130 times
This thread is silly, I don't see any reason for it other than starting a fight.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration