Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 05:24 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times

Advertisements

So who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 05:27 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
A few years back a friend of ours who worked in the poultry business was prosecuted and taken to trial for hiring illegal immigrants. He was found innocent because he had no knowledge that the people were illegal, but if he had been found guilty he faced years in prison. Are you telling us that this man admitted to breaking the law? When will this corruption stop in our government? Don't our laws mean anything anymore?
Yea, that's how employers get away with it, they can just say that they didn't know and the IRS sends them a headsup that numbers and names don't match, so they can just fire the employee or ignore it until the next letter comes. Also, they get all this time between receiving the letter and when they are supposed to handle the problem. Even then though the letter isn't telling them that they are employing an undocumented worker, it just tells them that something isn't right with an I-9. It is an unfair process because employers keep working the system (because they get their workers as a result) and the undocumented employee benefits from that as they also work the system.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:31 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
So who cares?
Well, people who look up to their leaders to not undercut them. Also, people who are active within the effort to reduce illegal immigration. People who might want to find out who does work at Colin Powell's home and then want to report that company for employing undocumented people. There also are the people in the city that Colin Powell lives in who are unemployed and seriously looking for work that might care that his work is being done by undocumented workers (they might be on their last leg and have family to feed, must suck knowing someone who isn't even supposed to be here is taking that job). Those are some people that I could think of who might care.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:10 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Agreed.

I used to think that Powell might be a good man for the job of POTUS. Now I just think he's a slime bag like the rest of 'em.
Have to agree, it's very disappointing to say the least.

Do we no longer have people of integrity who are willing to run for office in this country anymore? (not that Australia does much better I have to say)

Old 09-20-2010, 12:30 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WASHINGTON – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell says illegal immigrants do essential work in the U.S. and that he has firsthand knowledge of that — because they fix his house.

A moderate Republican, Powell urged his party on Sunday to support immigration generally because those who come from abroad are, in his words, "what's keeping this country's lifeblood moving forward."

Powell says illegal immigrants do his home repairs - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100919/ap_on_bi_ge/us_powell_illegal_immigrants - broken link)
O yeah a Moderate Republican that knowingly lied for Bush,abandoned "his friend' John Mc Cain and endorsed and voted for an extreme Liberal Obama and is too cheap to hire Americans and employs Illegal Aliens.

Someone that held as many Military positions and high paying ones at that should know how to screen out Illegals and their employers. Poweel is yesterday's news.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:36 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Have to agree, it's very disappointing to say the least.

Do we no longer have people of integrity who are willing to run for office in this country anymore? (not that Australia does much better I have to say)
Yes Colin has integrity??? He showed this when he helped downplay and cover up the Mai Lai massacre in Vietnam The Consortium
another one who just follows orders when he knows they're wrong (his WMD speech for Bush) ,integrity indeed.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:42 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times
What would you expect from a moderate republican a.k.a RINO like general Colin Powell?

Old 09-20-2010, 01:36 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
oops....colin changed his mind

then:
Quote:
"They're all over my house, doing things whenever I call for repairs, and I'm sure you've seen them at your house," he said.
now:
Quote:
"I don't hire illegal immigrants," Powell said in a statement Monday.
Colin Powell says he doesn’t hire illegal immigrants | The Upshot Yahoo! News - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100920/us_yblog_upshot/colin-powell-says-he-doesnt-hire-illegal-immigrants - broken link)
apparently they just sneak into the house at night to do their good deeds. kinda like santa's elves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration