U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 10:10 PM

948 posts, read 1,203,858 times

Advertisements

I have a thought on how to eliminate the so called "need" for undocumented workers who take jobs we "won't do" because of low pay and working conditions.
Provide the job information to welfare recipients at welfare job banks and homeless shelters. Mandate that welfare recipients and homeless receiving state benefits take the jobs when offered. Supplement any lost income between working pay and welfare pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 02:31 AM

1,150 posts, read 992,108 times
I've long thought that was a good idea. No work=no welfare.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:17 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,182,665 times
It looks good on paper, but how successful will it be? I know a lot of them wouldn't work if their lives depend on it.

IMO, there are more welfare slugs than the truly needy on the dole. What I don't is, urban welfare recipients. They have so many options.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:52 AM

216 posts, read 198,834 times
well it would work if the employers were'nt so spoiled by those low wages the pay to the ills.

Last edited by InThemiddleToo; 09-20-2010 at 10:16 AM..

Old 09-20-2010, 09:37 AM

Lariat: that is one of the goals. No work = no welfare pay

InThemmiddletoo: Low wages would be eliminated because welfare would subsidize lost pay.
IE: Welfare says that you should receive $300 per pay week, Job only pays $200 per pay week, Welfare would add $100 per pay week to equal $300.
Saving the welfare system $200 per person per pay week.

Last edited by Dewmik; 09-20-2010 at 10:24 AM..

Old 09-20-2010, 10:26 AM

216 posts, read 198,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
Lariat: that is one of the goals. No work = no welfare pay

InThemmiddletoo: Low wages would be eliminated because welfare would subsidize lost pay.
IE: Welfare says that you should receive $300 per week, Job only pays $200 per week, Welfare would add $100 per week to equal $300.
an incentive to train them skills should be payed by the gov, this would
help both the employer and employee giving a path off welfare?

Old 09-20-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InThemiddleToo View Post
an incentive to train them skills should be payed by the gov, this would
help both the employer and employee giving a path off welfare?
Excellent point. Considering that there are more welfare recipients then undocumented workers (37 million on welfare including food stamps, 4 million on cash assistance alone), (7.2 million undocumented workers). So if the welfare recipient has no work offered then s/he would be required to attend job advancement classes offered by the welfare program. Cash assistance receivers having the priority.
Increased education would put the person into a higher work category and eliminate his/her need for the program. Of course this would require a work schedule so people receiving education from the system would not be available for on demand worker.
I would add that the education program be based on the recipients willingness to advance. A recipient would have to be in the program for reasonable amount of time before education is offered.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:21 PM

233 posts, read 390,146 times
Sounds good on paper, however from personal experience the following....back in the late 1990's-2002 I was still a resident of NYC and working at a social services agency. We worked with seniors, children and the homeless, also with people needing job training who were also collecting welfare. Back then (it might have changed since) there was put into place a 2 year cap on all welfare benfits to anyone, supposedly. When the people were getting close to their cutoff times they would complain about how unfair it was, the social service counselors would then set them up with appointments to see mental health doctors who would then reccomend that their benefits not be discontinued as it would cause them mental stress. I found that no matter how many rules are put in place there are those that will always aid and abett anyone in getting around those same rules, one woman who worked directly for me had played this game for years on the system. I would prefer that ALL benefits are paid to only citizens and LEGAL immigrants, after all I believe that is what they were set up for in the first place, why should we ever have to supplement someone who by coming here without following legal channels broke our laws, why should they be rewarded for doing so in any way shape or form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or