U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:30 PM

684 posts, read 710,434 times
Malamute, "Hispanic" is someone that have a culture that traces to Hispania (europe, the iberian peninsula).

Mexicans, argentines, brazilians, canadians, greenlanders, etc are all Americans.

Last edited by Edu983; 09-22-2010 at 09:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 09:35 PM

47,586 posts, read 32,295,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
Why Antis like to use the word Hispanic? Where is Hispanicland located? Is that a continent? brazilians, canadians, cubans, and US nationals, etc.. ARE ALL Americans.

Hispanics this... "Hispanics" that... Blah blah blah... they are American immigrants.
The "hispanics" like the term ever since affirmative action and the hispanic check box guarantees financial aid and special rights or lowered admission standards.

I know of non-hispanics who checked the hispanic box when apply for scholarships and college - and it worked out quite well for them.

Otherwise, you're right - why wouldn't people just use ethnicity like people of German, Italian, Greek, Irish, etc descent do? A lot of Native Americans (aka Indians) prefer to call themselves by their tribe instead of the lump-together term but Cubans, Mexicans, Colombians, etc like to lump themselves together.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 PM

15,909 posts, read 11,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
If you remove Hispanic Americans and others of Hispanic Ancestry out of the equation, what percentage of support for Illegal Aliens would you find from non Hispanics???

Does anyone know of a study on this? It seems that the most vocal and biased support comes from Politicians and groups with Hispanic ancestry.

Maldef,NCLR,Pew HISPANIC Ctr,Hispanic American Caucus and other Ethnocentric entities. Ironically they claim to have solid representation when in reality a large percentage of Americans of Hispanic ancestry also oppose Illegal Immigration.

In reality when you remove Hispanic support for Illegals the rest of America is strongly opposed to Illegal Aliens coming here.
According to you,
This is simple scapegoating, especially in Arizona, where JT Ready, Frau Brewer, Russ Pearce and Joe Arpaio want to blame hispanics for the mess they have made. I am not hispanic or latino I'd feel the same if they were scapegoating Jews

Old 09-22-2010, 09:47 PM

2,689 posts, read 1,594,700 times
[quote=Benicar;15985596]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post

I gave my response. Apparently, you missed it.
Yes, I apparantly did miss it
sounds like fuzzy math. You say that you don't use or don't need statistics to know whats going on, but then you state as "fact" that the "vast majority" of American hispanics are anti-immigration.
I want to believe your story, but it doesn't add up. You can't say that something is a fact and not back it up
But you and I both know that 42.7% of all statistics are just made up

Old 09-22-2010, 09:51 PM

2,689 posts, read 1,594,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
According to you,
This is simple scapegoating, especially in Arizona, where JT Ready, Frau Brewer, Russ Pearce and Joe Arpaio want to blame hispanics for the mess they have made. I am not hispanic or latino I'd feel the same if they were scapegoating Jews
Good point, but you can't dismiss it entirely. If we want to "take out" the hispanics opinion from this hypothetical poll, then we also need to look at the Hispanics opinion, and then combine all Americans. To take out 1 subgroup, but never acknowledge them at all is a waste of time

Old 09-22-2010, 09:53 PM

684 posts, read 710,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The "hispanics" like the term ever since affirmative action and the hispanic check box guarantees financial aid and special rights or lowered admission standards.

I know of non-hispanics who checked the hispanic box when apply for scholarships and college - and it worked out quite well for them.

Otherwise, you're right - why wouldn't people just use ethnicity like people of German, Italian, Greek, Irish, etc descent do? A lot of Native Americans (aka Indians) prefer to call themselves by their tribe instead of the lump-together term but Cubans, Mexicans, Colombians, etc like to lump themselves together.
that lump-together term was invented by the US media to refer to other Americans as if they were from a different continent/planet/race.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:01 PM

47,586 posts, read 32,295,799 times
Quote:
that lump-together term was invented by the US media to refer to other Americans as if they were from a different continent/planet/race.
No. People call themselves however they wish. For example on the census and most forms I check no box or if they require, then I go with other because I don't believe in race categories.

People who check off "hispanic" or call themselves that do so for a reason. For some it's money - television and radio for example - they're trying to promote a "pan-hispanic" culture here that's rather fake but for the money. And of course politicians love big large groups of people no matter how artificial.

No one is preventing "hispanics" from referring to themselves as Americans, or even checking the "white" box when it comes to race.

Race is so arbitrary in the USA, your race pretty much is just whatever you want to say it is - they never make you get a DNA test to prove it.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:07 PM

3,137 posts, read 1,424,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
According to you,
According to a lot of people .Yoe mention "Frau Brewer" there you go again painting the opposition as Nazis. Here's another one for you by Immigration Atty. Reyes another self serving Latino opine Birthright citizenship is settled law - latimes.com

The facts remain that the loudest,most vocal support comes because it is self serving,try asking convicted felons what they think of prisons and the law and I'm sure they would be overwhelmingly against it also.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:19 PM

3,950 posts, read 1,858,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I love that being Hispanic and very anti-illegal immigration, I get called race traitor and a bunch of other things. Oh well, if caring about the integrity of the US means I'm a race traitor, then so be it
It's the same thing as a black person being called an "Uncle Tom." I've met and seen a lot of Hispanics who don't support illegal immigration.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:19 AM

14,307 posts, read 5,668,183 times
Quote:
Malamute, "Hispanic" is someone that have a culture that traces to Hispania (europe, the iberian peninsula).

Mexicans, argentines, brazilians, canadians, greenlanders, etc are all Americans.
Oh not this BS again. Everyone knows that "American" is the common word for U.S. citizens. Mexicans, etc. are not called Americans they are referred to by their nationality not the continent they inhabit. Geesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration