U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2010, 04:09 PM
 
166 posts, read 212,198 times
Reputation: 117

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
If I wasn't clear enough the first time...let me try again.

You are asserting that Hispanics only want amensty for HISPANIC illegals. I am asking for evidence this is true.

Pictures at a rally prove nothing one way or another. So someone carrying a Mexican flag is proof that same person would deny amnesty to an Irish illegal? I don't think so.

As far as I can tell, I am the only person that has posted any actual data in this entire thread. You may agree or disagree with my source or the conclusion but at least I am trying to have a legit debate.

Seems like quite a few of you in this thread think you can read the minds of every Hispanic in America by watching news footage of protests on Fox News.

Ok, now calm down and re-read that...the statement began "MY GUESS......
See what I did there? I never asserted it was fact.
Reading comprehension has gone straight to ....well, never mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2010, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
749 posts, read 1,545,151 times
Reputation: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
mom2ten[/b];16006753]Ok, now calm down and re-read that...the statement began "MY GUESS......
See what I did there? I never asserted it was fact.
Reading comprehension has gone straight to ....well, never mind.

Yes, I realize that. Thank you for being honest....

I was replying to your reply to Opeyelie's post which said, "Please feel free to post any pics you may have of illegal supporters marching with flags other than that of Mexico, Guatemala or other Hispanic countires..."

to which you replied, "LOL. I sincerely hope he does! You have any idea how many bets (I hypothetically) could win with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2010, 06:15 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
I think the evidence is quite clear that although Hispanics would want other ethnic groups included in any amnesty (because it would show biasness otherwise) their main concern is for Hispanic illegals who are ethnically like themselves. This from the Pew Hispanic site:

".The survey finds that Hispanics oppose these enforcement measures, often by lopsided margins. Three quarters (75%) disapprove of workplace raids; some 79% prefer that local police not take an active role in identifying illegal immigrants; and some 55% disapprove of states checking for immigration status before issuing driver's licenses. By contrast, non-Hispanics are much more supportive of all these policies, with a slight majority favoring workplace raids and a heavy majority favoring driver's license checks."

I am sure I can find many more surveys conducted that prove that illegal immigration to Hispanics is mostly about their concern for their own ethnic group. Also every single Hispanic I personally have talked to is pro-amnesty, pro-illegal. The fact that every single Hispanic politician is also an advocate speaks volumes. During the marches all you saw was a sea of Hispanics with a few other ethnic groups sprinkled in. Many of these Hispanics were citizens. Come on, this is no mere coincidence.

Last edited by chicagonut; 09-23-2010 at 06:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2010, 07:27 AM
 
3 posts, read 3,082 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Good question. I would much rather have more Haitians here who don't have an axe to grind about "stolen land" and some reconquista agenda. They are much more deserving and destitute than Mexicans.
You certainly cannot judge ALL Mexicans like that. Come on now...

Mexicans have as much right to immigrate here as much as any other nationality. Your last sentence was showing racism against Mexicans. When other people immigrate here(French, Russian, Italian, Greeks, etc), it's no problem. But when a Mexican or any other nationality of Hispanic heritage immigrate here we are unwanted and people assume we have an "axe to grind about stolen land", or that we are automatically illegal just because we are of Hispanic heritage. Then you go on to assume that we, every single one of us, is in full support of illegal immigration. Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? This way of thinking that we are in favor of illegal immigration just because we are hispanic makes me sick.

Robert Byrd is white politician that was a affiliated with the KKK. Do I go on an assume whites, every single one of them, is affiliated with the KKK? Of course not! That notion is just ridiculous, and you know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2010, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingLatina View Post
You certainly cannot judge ALL Mexicans like that. Come on now...

Mexicans have as much right to immigrate here as much as any other nationality. Your last sentence was showing racism against Mexicans. When other people immigrate here(French, Russian, Italian, Greeks, etc), it's no problem. But when a Mexican or any other nationality of Hispanic heritage immigrate here we are unwanted and people assume we have an "axe to grind about stolen land", or that we are automatically illegal just because we are of Hispanic heritage. Then you go on to assume that we, every single one of us, is in full support of illegal immigration. Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? This way of thinking that we are in favor of illegal immigration just because we are hispanic makes me sick.

Robert Byrd is white politician that was a affiliated with the KKK. Do I go on an assume whites, every single one of them, is affiliated with the KKK? Of course not! That notion is just ridiculous, and you know it.
No we have no issue with Mexicans who immigrate here legally. We do have issue with those who are here illegally. Especially the ones demanding special rights and a free pass.
The reasons hispanics might be tagged as being here illegally might be due to the fact that the vast and overwhelming majority of illegals in fact come from south of the border. Now add to this that illegals demanding amnesty and prtesting also happen to be hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2010, 08:01 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingLatina View Post
You certainly cannot judge ALL Mexicans like that. Come on now...

Mexicans have as much right to immigrate here as much as any other nationality. Your last sentence was showing racism against Mexicans. When other people immigrate here(French, Russian, Italian, Greeks, etc), it's no problem. But when a Mexican or any other nationality of Hispanic heritage immigrate here we are unwanted and people assume we have an "axe to grind about stolen land", or that we are automatically illegal just because we are of Hispanic heritage. Then you go on to assume that we, every single one of us, is in full support of illegal immigration. Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? This way of thinking that we are in favor of illegal immigration just because we are hispanic makes me sick.

Robert Byrd is white politician that was a affiliated with the KKK. Do I go on an assume whites, every single one of them, is affiliated with the KKK? Of course not! That notion is just ridiculous, and you know it.
Did I say that all Mexicans are raving reconquistas? Did I say that all Hispanic citizens of Mexican ancestry are pro-illegal? No, I didn't but far too many do hold that view. That isn't a racist statement but a fact.

I didn't say that Mexicans don't have just as much right as any other nationality to migrate here legally. In fact, Mexicans are second only to Asians in our quotas for legal immigration by a few percentage points. I nor anyone else is implying that all Mexicans here are here illegally either.

As for your remark about Robert Byrd, read my first paragraph again. What does the KKK have to do with illegal immigration anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2010, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 10,948,309 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingLatina View Post
You certainly cannot judge ALL Mexicans like that. Come on now...

Mexicans have as much right to immigrate here as much as any other nationality. Your last sentence was showing racism against Mexicans. When other people immigrate here(French, Russian, Italian, Greeks, etc), it's no problem. But when a Mexican or any other nationality of Hispanic heritage immigrate here we are unwanted and people assume we have an "axe to grind about stolen land", or that we are automatically illegal just because we are of Hispanic heritage. Then you go on to assume that we, every single one of us, is in full support of illegal immigration. Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? This way of thinking that we are in favor of illegal immigration just because we are hispanic makes me sick.

Robert Byrd is white politician that was a affiliated with the KKK. Do I go on an assume whites, every single one of them, is affiliated with the KKK? Of course not! That notion is just ridiculous, and you know it.
Same old spin - when you don't like the message that Americans and legal residents are fed up to the back teeth with illegals demanding "rights", pull out the "racism" card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2010, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
749 posts, read 1,545,151 times
Reputation: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post

1) I think the evidence is quite clear that although Hispanics would want other ethnic groups included in any amnesty (because it would show biasness otherwise) their main concern is for Hispanic illegals who are ethnically like themselves. This from the Pew Hispanic site:

".The survey finds that Hispanics oppose these enforcement measures, often by lopsided margins. Three quarters (75%) disapprove of workplace raids; some 79% prefer that local police not take an active role in identifying illegal immigrants; and some 55% disapprove of states checking for immigration status before issuing driver's licenses. By contrast, non-Hispanics are much more supportive of all these policies, with a slight majority favoring workplace raids and a heavy majority favoring driver's license checks."

2) I am sure I can find many more surveys conducted that prove that illegal immigration to Hispanics is mostly about their concern for their own ethnic group.

3) Also every single Hispanic I personally have talked to is pro-amnesty, pro-illegal. The fact that every single Hispanic politician is also an advocate speaks volumes. During the marches all you saw was a sea of Hispanics with a few other ethnic groups sprinkled in. Many of these Hispanics were citizens. Come on, this is no mere coincidence.
The survey you posted is about ENFORCEMENT measures...it says NOTHING about a path to citizenship for ILLEGALS. The survey I posted was about support for a path to citizenship which most directly addresses the OP's fundamental question.

The survey I posted showed a wide MAJORITY of Americans support a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants with jobs who agreed to pay back taxes (including Hispanics, Blacks, and non-Hispanic Whites).

It is YOU who seems to want to DIVIDE the country into groups of them against us.

So let me understand the bolded parts from your post above:

1) you say that Hispanics support amensty for other groups b/c they don't want to LOOK biased. So presumably they won't tell pollsters the truth that they are really just for amenstry for Hispanic illegals.

2) Yet, in the very same post you say there are numerous surveys that shows Hispanics are only concerned for their own group? Can't have it both ways.

3) Are you kidding? Oh sure, your personal (unbiased?) experience is scientific evidence and proves your case. That is a TOTAL joke. You are smart enough not to post such nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2010, 10:28 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
The survey you posted is about ENFORCEMENT measures...it says NOTHING about a path to citizenship for ILLEGALS. The survey I posted was about support for a path to citizenship which most directly addresses the OP's fundamental question.

The survey I posted showed a wide MAJORITY of Americans support a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants with jobs who agreed to pay back taxes (including Hispanics, Blacks, and non-Hispanic Whites).

It is YOU who seems to want to DIVIDE the country into groups of them against us.

So let me understand the bolded parts from your post above:

1) you say that Hispanics support amensty for other groups b/c they don't want to LOOK biased. So presumably they won't tell pollsters the truth that they are really just for amenstry for Hispanic illegals.

2) Yet, in the very same post you say there are numerous surveys that shows Hispanics are only concerned for their own group? Can't have it both ways.

3) Are you kidding? Oh sure, your personal (unbiased?) experience is scientific evidence and proves your case. That is a TOTAL joke. You are smart enough not to post such nonsense.
There are surveys out there that do not support your survey and it depends on how a question is asked as to what the answers will be. Since the results of the Pew Hispanic site indicate that Hispanics do not support the enforcement of our immigration laws then it only makes sense that they support a path to citzenship for these illegals also.

It will always be "us vs them" when it comes to immigration law breakers or any other law breakers. Is that a surprise? But to claim that "we" are just against Hispanics whether they be legal or illegal is just another attempt at pulling the race card.

1. Yes, you understood me correctly. If all these illegals were Asians or some other ethnic group, Hispanics would be just as opposed to illegal immigration as we are.

2. Don't get your reply. I am not having it both ways. What I am saying is that sure there are some Hispanics opposed to these illegals but far too many are not.

3. I have worked with and live around many Hispanics. Not one that I have met is for the enforcement of our immigration laws and they also want amnesty for those already here. Call me liar if you wish but I will stand by what I said by my experiences. As I said nationwide they aren't all that way though. We have had Hispanics posting in here that did not follow the ethnocentric line but stood up for our laws instead and I applaud them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2010, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
749 posts, read 1,545,151 times
Reputation: 421
[quote=chicagonut;16014030]

Did I say that all Mexicans are raving reconquistas? Did I say that all Hispanic citizens of Mexican ancestry are pro-illegal? No, I didn't but far too many do hold that view. That isn't a racist statement but a fact.

I didn't say that Mexicans don't have just as much right as any other nationality to migrate here legally. In fact, Mexicans are second only to Asians in our quotas for legal immigration by a few percentage points. I nor anyone else is implying that all Mexicans here are here illegally either. quote]

I will give you credit. You are masterful at dodging the question and diverting the issue. You are as deceitful as those ethnocentric Hispanic politicians you hate with such passion.

This is in fact what you said in the prior post:
"I would MUCH RAHTER have MORE hatians here who don't have an axe to grind about "stolen land" and some reconquista agenda. They are much more deserving and destitute than Mexicans."

That is a pretty clear PREFERENCE for Haitians over Mexicans.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top