U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:56 PM

749 posts, read 1,546,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I don't know you, I don't know your background, I don't know your experience and I don't know where you live, but it is BOGUS that you are declaring these statements that lack truth.

I am Black American and I grew up in a city that would be considered a sanctuary city. I observed first hand just as an every day person, a young person, the way in which illegal immigrants moved into neighborhoods in massive, overbearing rates and also begin to take jobs from low-income, low-skilled residents of all races, which unfortunately included a large number of Black Americans. If this happened in my mid-western city, I am sure it happened in California, in fact, I know from knowledge that it did.

SoEdible: I don't know you either but I won't judge you just because you are Black and apparently strongly opposed to immigration. It is a free country so the more power to you!

I am White (non-Hispanic) but I did grow up in LA and have studied its economy and pop. trends for a long time.

You claim what I say is NOT true but you provide nothing to back up that claim.

"Black Flight" is a very real migration trend with many middle-class and educated blacks LEAVING inner-city areas for suburban areas.

Black flight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This trend occurred in places from LA to Washington, D.C and started as early as 1970. In D.C. many Black residents have been "replaced" by affluent whites (same thing in San Francisco). By and large the outward migration of Black Americans has been driven by increased education levels and increased incomes (among blacks), along with enduring fair housing laws.

Should we kick out all the affluent whites out of DC and San Francisco and send them to Mexico? Or at least ban them from moving into inner-city black areas in cities like DC and SF?

I think we'd both agree that isn't a very good solution. Better solution is to increase educational and economic opportunity for unskilled blacks (and whites) so they can move up the economic ladder.

According to the Calif. Employment Dev. Dept, about 50% of the job losses suffered in LA's aerospace industry in the aftermath of the cold war were minority households. See link from 1993 study below. Trust me I grew up in SoCal, most of those minority households were Black. Those were good paying jobs. You can't blame Mexicans or illegal immigration for the end of the cold war and the implosion of the defense industry in LA.

PPI: The Los Angeles Riots by Joel Klotkin and David Friedman (http://www.ppionline.org/ppi_ci.cfm?knlgAreaID=114&subsecID=236&contentID=2 102 - broken link)

Again, I believe the evidence suggests that voluntary out migration of middle class blacks combined with structural economic changes in the economy (and political economy) have had as much or more to do with Blacks leaving So. Central LA than immigration (legal or otherwise).

Last edited by BluSpark; 09-21-2010 at 11:31 PM..

Old 09-21-2010, 11:12 PM

749 posts, read 1,546,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I can't say I'm returning to the South because I was never born there.
Some returned to the South, others moved "West of Encino" or to other parts of the San Fernando Valley or Riverside County, etc.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:22 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,098,930 times
My gues is they moved to getteo areas like most new arrivals. If they took over its because they could.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:17 AM
Yac

5,875 posts, read 6,297,498 times
This is the Illegal Immigration forum, not the Race forum.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or