U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-20-2010, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Armsanta Sorad
5,660 posts, read 6,577,056 times
Reputation: 2429

Advertisements

In the late 1980s and 1990s, Hispanics came to Southern California in large numbers and into Black American communities like South Los Angeles, Compton, and Inglewood. As a result, blacks lost their jobs and homes to Latinos which created tension between the groups.

I'm still trying to understand. Why was in the black communities that Hispanics chose to move in those areas?

 
Old 09-20-2010, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
749 posts, read 1,544,804 times
Reputation: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post

1)In the late 1980s and 1990s, Hispanics came to Southern California in large numbers and into Black American communities like South Los Angeles, Compton, and Inglewood.

2) As a result, blacks lost their jobs and homes to Latinos which created tension between the groups.

3) I'm still trying to understand. Why was in the black communities that Hispanics chose to move in those areas?
I don't quite agree with your view of history:

1) Hispanics did move into traditionally black neighborhoods like So. Central and Compton.

3) Why did Hispanics move there? Because those areas were among the most affordable neighborhoods in an otherwise very expensive metro area. Also, you can't rule out some white/anglo racism from discouraging Hispanic newcomers from moving into more suburban white areas.

2) HISPANICS did NOT take BLACK jobs: The job losses suffered in black areas like So. Central were primarly in high skilled manufacturing sectors like aerospace and aircraft manufacturing. Latinos were filling unskilled positions. In particular, the end of the Cold War DECIMATED those black neighbohroods because So. Calif. lost about 400,000 high paying defense related jobs from the late 80's to the ealry 90's. It also hurt a lot of white neighborhoods. Many other high-skill manufacturing jobs got off-shored during that time.

HOUSING: Latinos did NOT take BLACK housing. Many black families FLED So. Central for MORE suburban areas like Riverside, CA or the San Fernado Valley. Some left the state to places like the deep south. That trend started in the 1970's but accelearated in the 80's and 90's. A lot of middle class blacks wanted out of high-crime areas like So. Central. Prior to 1970 they could NOT live in suburban white areas (due to restrictive real estate covenants / racism). Fair Housing Act passed in 1968 and as time rolled on more and more blacks that could afford to simply wanted out of So. Central to find better schools and escape crime, etc.
 
Old 09-21-2010, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
I don't quite agree with your view of history:

1) Hispanics did move into traditionally black neighborhoods like So. Central and Compton.

3) Why did Hispanics move there? Because those areas were among the most affordable neighborhoods in an otherwise very expensive metro area. Also, you can't rule out some white/anglo racism from discouraging Hispanic newcomers from moving into more suburban white areas.

2) HISPANICS did NOT take BLACK jobs: The job losses suffered in black areas like So. Central were primarly in high skilled manufacturing sectors like aerospace and aircraft manufacturing. Latinos were filling unskilled positions. In particular, the end of the Cold War DECIMATED those black neighbohroods because So. Calif. lost about 400,000 high paying defense related jobs from the late 80's to the ealry 90's. It also hurt a lot of white neighborhoods. Many other high-skill manufacturing jobs got off-shored during that time.

HOUSING: Latinos did NOT take BLACK housing. Many black families FLED So. Central for MORE suburban areas like Riverside, CA or the San Fernado Valley. Some left the state to places like the deep south. That trend started in the 1970's but accelearated in the 80's and 90's. A lot of middle class blacks wanted out of high-crime areas like So. Central. Prior to 1970 they could NOT live in suburban white areas (due to restrictive real estate covenants / racism). Fair Housing Act passed in 1968 and as time rolled on more and more blacks that could afford to simply wanted out of So. Central to find better schools and escape crime, etc.
Having never lived in CA, I have no firsthand knowledge of the impetus for the Black exodus. However, I have heard that Mexicans did in fact create a hostile environment for blacks, and they moved because they feared for their lives. Similar incidents have been reported throughout this country.

Quote:
Anthony Prudhomme was slain by members of the Avenues, a Latino street gang. But he was not a rival gang member, or a police informant, or a drug dealer. The Avenues did not target him for the content of his character, or even the contents of his apartment.

They targeted him for the color of his skin.

Prudhomme was murdered because he identified himself as black (he was in fact mixed-race) in a neighborhood occupied by one of the many Latino street gangs in Los Angeles County. Incredibly, even though these gangs are fundamentally criminal enterprises interested mainly in money, gang experts inside and outside the government say that they are now engaged in a campaign of "ethnic cleansing" -- racial terror that is directed solely at African Americans.
L.A. Blackout | Southern Poverty Law Center

Quote:
Racist Mexican gangs are indiscriminately targeting blacks who aren't even involved in gang culture, as part of an orchestrated ethnic cleansing program that is forcing black people to flee Los Angeles. The culprit of the carnage is the radical Neo-Nazi liberation theology known as La Raza, which calls for the extermination of all races in America besides Latinos, and is being bankrolled by some of the biggest Globalists in the U.S.
Racist Mexican Gangs "Ethnic Cleansing" Blacks In L.A.
 
Old 09-21-2010, 12:45 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,582,217 times
Reputation: 1270
Because they could not afford to go anywhere else. There in lies a common issue, illegal immigrants are pushing other people out of neighborhoods.
 
Old 09-21-2010, 12:47 PM
 
Location: John & Ken-ville
13,692 posts, read 15,115,240 times
Reputation: 9491
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
In the late 1980s and 1990s, Hispanics came to Southern California in large numbers and into Black American communities like South Los Angeles, Compton, and Inglewood. As a result, blacks lost their jobs and homes to Latinos which created tension between the groups.

I'm still trying to understand. Why was in the black communities that Hispanics chose to move in those areas?
#1. They couldn't move to Brentwood.

#2. The real estate/rent is cheaper in Compton.

#3. The low wage, skilled/unskilled jobs - cleaning/janitorial, gardening, light manufacturing apparel, construction, handyman, food service/production... etc.. those jobs which some blacks in the area once held became undercut (by working cheaper/non-union) by illegal latino immigrants.
 
Old 09-21-2010, 12:52 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,582,217 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post

2) HISPANICS did NOT take BLACK jobs: The job losses suffered in black areas like So. Central were primarly in high skilled manufacturing sectors like aerospace and aircraft manufacturing. Latinos were filling unskilled positions. In particular, the end of the Cold War DECIMATED those black neighbohroods because So. Calif. lost about 400,000 high paying defense related jobs from the late 80's to the ealry 90's. It also hurt a lot of white neighborhoods. Many other high-skill manufacturing jobs got off-shored during that time.

HOUSING: Latinos did NOT take BLACK housing. Many black families FLED So. Central for MORE suburban areas like Riverside, CA or the San Fernado Valley. Some left the state to places like the deep south. That trend started in the 1970's but accelearated in the 80's and 90's. A lot of middle class blacks wanted out of high-crime areas like So. Central. Prior to 1970 they could NOT live in suburban white areas (due to restrictive real estate covenants / racism). Fair Housing Act passed in 1968 and as time rolled on more and more blacks that could afford to simply wanted out of So. Central to find better schools and escape crime, etc.
I don't know you, I don't know your background, I don't know your experience and I don't know where you live, but it is BOGUS that you are declaring these statements that lack truth.

I am Black American and I grew up in a city that would be considered a sanctuary city. I observed first hand just as an every day person, a young person, the way in which illegal immigrants moved into neighborhoods in massive, overbearing rates and also begin to take jobs from low-income, low-skilled residents of all races, which unfortunately included a large number of Black Americans. If this happened in my mid-western city, I am sure it happened in California, in fact, I know from knowledge that it did. Also, you are darn right black people fled those neighborhoods. In some places, you had an apartment complex full of four families, no one wants to live around that. So, people fled and that in itself is how illegal immigrants are taking housing away from legal residents. If you are overloading people and leaving them no choice to leave then they ae going to leave. Sometimes, that seems to be the illegal immigrant plan: overload the US people so they have no choice but to leave.

Also, let's say that those things didn't happen during those times as you say, but we can say that they sure are happening today.
 
Old 09-21-2010, 12:57 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,051,757 times
Reputation: 14878
The same reason that every new immigrant group moves into the "ghetto" of the previous immigrant group.

LOW RENT!
 
Old 09-21-2010, 01:38 PM
 
3,847 posts, read 3,161,032 times
Reputation: 2439
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
In the late 1980s and 1990s, Hispanics came to Southern California in large numbers and into Black American communities like South Los Angeles, Compton, and Inglewood. As a result, blacks lost their jobs and homes to Latinos which created tension between the groups.

I'm still trying to understand. Why was in the black communities that Hispanics chose to move in those areas?
Simple answer...Economics. Those neighborhoods were mostly poorer areas in the city therefore more affordable and also more rundown and generally less stringent Landlords willing to rent to whomever as long as they got paid. The more upscale ares were generally higher priced with better police and code enforcement.

Also Illegal aliens would gravitate toward areas that also had poorer Illegal and Legal first generation immigrants already there.

As the areas became more run down and overcrowded. More affluent Blacks moved out.Another thing to consider is cultural and language differences when these neighborhoods took on a more foreign flavor with signs and stores in another language the character of the neighborhoods also changed and with an underground economy and competition from Illegal workers many of the areas youth had problems finding employment.
 
Old 09-21-2010, 01:44 PM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Reputation: 2199
Blacks should have stood up then. Now they are at war with Hispanics in their hoods.

Same **** with harlem.

They follow Al Sharpton like fools sticking up for illegals.

Blacks used to be against immigration in the 1800's. Now they let them in and they are competing with them
 
Old 09-21-2010, 01:46 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,582,217 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Blacks should have stood up then. Now they are at war with Hispanics in their hoods.

Same **** with harlem.

The follow Al Sharpton like fools sticking up for illegals.
You're right.

[sarcasm]But you know it is racist to stand up against a group of people making your life worse and uncomfortable.[/sarcasm]

Yes, Al Sharpton is a fool for doing what he does in favor of illegal immigrants.

What's going on in Harlem? I know that Harlem has been experiencing a loss of black influence for a while, but what is going on in regards to illegal immigration?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top