U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 10:55 AM

86,093 posts, read 70,054,393 times

Advertisements

It will give them a voting majority. Not only voting but such a big group of similar people can influence many local/state/federal laws and how the country is governed.

Spanish is our defacto second language and in some places the first and in a few places the only language spoken.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:22 AM

749 posts, read 1,549,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post

1) Your poll results are wrong. Most Americans do not want the illegals to remain here. There are many polls out there that contradict yours.

2) Everytime amnesty or the Dream Act is brought up in congress the phone and fax lines are jammed with objecters and the fact that neither has passed is proof enough of how most Americans feel about it.
1) It's not my poll. But here's another one from the Pew Center also from July 2010 which showed 68% support for a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants provided they pay back taxes, pass a criminal background test, etc.

Poll: Views Mixed on Arizona Lawsuit, but Action Desired on Immigration | The Rundown News Blog | PBS NewsHour | PBS

2) Yes, the extremists come out when those proposals start to gain traction but that doesn't mean that is how most Americans view the issue.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:05 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,836,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
1) It's not my poll. But here's another one from the Pew Center also from July 2010 which showed 68% support for a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants provided they pay back taxes, pass a criminal background test, etc.
Poll: Views Mixed on Arizona Lawsuit, but Action Desired on Immigration | The Rundown News Blog | PBS NewsHour | PBS

2) Yes, the extremists come out when those proposals start to gain traction but that doesn't mean that is how most Americans view the issue.

Extremists? So, only radicals oppose amnesty? We will see where the support lies when Congress attempts to pass another amnesty bill. I assure you, there will be more opposition than support.

Given their propensity for document fraud and multiple aliases, there is absolutely no feasible method for even determining the identities of most illegal aliens. How does one pay back taxes on unknown earnings? Should the IRS require citizens to have “verifiable” wages, yet permit illegal aliens to pay according to the honor system? Furthermore, the current CIR bill does NOT “require” the payment of back taxes. In any case, most illegals are low-wage earners. Consequently, no taxes would be paid even if required.

Read Title IV “Earned Legalization of Undocumented Individuals” of the CIR ASAP bill (H.R. 4321). You can locate it at Thomas Library of Congress. You will NOT find a requirement for illegals to pay back taxes. This is simply another lie being fed to the public in an attempt to garner support for amnesty.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Extremists? So, only radicals oppose amnesty? We will see where the support lies when Congress attempts to pass another amnesty bill. I assure you, there will be more opposition than support.
Are you suggesting that the 68% of Americans who supported a path to citizenship in that poll ARE THE EXTREMISTS?

Old 09-26-2010, 01:12 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,836,058 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that the 68% of Americans who supported a path to citizenship in that poll ARE THE EXTREMISTS?
No, I was responding to YOUR #2 comment below. BTW, who are the extremists? And, 68% only applies to the poll respondents, not the majority of U.S. citizens. BIG difference.

Quote:

Old 09-26-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
No, I was responding to YOUR #2 comment below. BTW, who are the extremists? And, 68% only applies to the poll respondents, not the majority of U.S. citizens. BIG difference.
The margin of error on that poll was 3%....it was in fact a poll reflecting the views of the American public.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:29 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Quote:
The margin of error on that poll was 3%....it was in fact a poll reflecting the views of the American public.
Dream on. It is only one poll and doesn't reflect how the real majority feel.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Dream on. It is only one poll and doesn't reflect how the real majority feel.
I've posted two recent polls asking the same question regarding a path to citizenship. Both have shown two-thirds or more of the majority in support.

If you want to post a poll showing the opposite go right ahead.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:15 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,663,703 times
Quote:
I've posted two recent polls asking the same question regarding a path to citizenship. Both have shown two-thirds or more of the majority in support.

If you want to post a poll showing the opposite go right ahead.
And those amnestied will show their gratitude by forcing non spanish speakers to learn spanish to qualify for bilingual job positions in places like Miami, El Paso and Los Angeles. Yes I am all for amnesty.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:19 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,138,599 times
Quote:
If Hispanic citizens do not overwhelmingly support illegal alien causes, their purported leadership (La Raza, MALDEF, LULAC, CHC, CASA) has done them a grave disservice. The massive “immigrant” marches have also done nothing to dispel this belief. Naturally, when we constantly see massive numbers of Hispanics marching alongside illegal aliens, it is not farfetched to assume they are receiving the support of the majority.

I know for a fact there are many Hispanics who do not support illegal immigration. Unfortunately, their voices are muted by the vociferous support from the majority. Some Hispanics have even been ostracized for opposing illegal immigration, and are frequently referred to as “coconuts” and other derogatory terms. I don’t know how anyone can deny this.

Can anyone name even ONE Hispanic politician or advocacy group opposing illegal immigration? Are there ANY who support the enforcement of our current immigration laws? Are there ANY who do not support a moratorium on deportations? Are there ANY who do not label opposition as racist or xenophobic? Are there ANY who even dare refer to these foreign interlopers as ILLEGAL, as opposed to the popular euphemisms? I don’t know of one.
Marco Rubio of Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or