Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 01:48 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I am all for capitalism that makes for profit acquired morally. Learn to know the difference. Not all businesses are corrupt and would sell their soul to the devil for a profit.
Here is what I think happens: these networks and all kinds of companies get their reports of demographics. It is provided by the Census Bureau (the Census Bureau publicly declares that their data collection is also for companies to make decisions) and other research groups. When they notice a potential market based on population or habits they try to capitalize on that group. Yea, it is messedup how they are profiting off of undocumented immigration, but Hispanics are a market and companies don't care how they got here. It's shady, but we know better than to think that companies are going to miss out on a chance at money.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:53 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
this isnt illegal immigration related; but ill still chime in.

this is economics. the Jets game was also telecast on televisa or some spanish language channel. at least here in LA it was. on the spanish channel it was the english broadcast (audio at a lowered volume) with spanish commentating.

i didnt really tune in. so there was no time to catch the commercials. the reason there was a couple of spanish language commercials is because they probably used the same nat'l advert formatting. they most likely sent the same signal to the various stations regardless of language. that being the case, of course they had to include a couple of spanish language commercials. its cheaper than figuring out two different language/advertising formats.

the larger question: why was the game telecast in spanish anyways? why not? hispanics like Football also. its Hispanic heritage. the NFL wants to reach out to that segment of the pop.

its makes sense...only if you dont jump to silly conclusions about some spanish language takeover of the USA/NFL.
No one is saying that Spanish language is taking over the NFL. Even I said that it was because it was Hispanic Heritage month. I will say that Spanish language is on the PATH (that's the operative word) to taking over the USA. If undocumented immigration goes ignored then the Spanish-speaking population grows and it's common sense that the group that is the largest (especially when the aren't learning English at a good rate) will have an influence on language. So, in 10 years, the presence of Spanish will have grown, in another 20 and so on. Once again, for me, taking into consideration what is happening now, I can see where the country is going as the result of undocumented immigration.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:50 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I'm not completely sure how I feel about this, but ...

I actually think a European Heritage month would be a great idea. The older I get the more I wonder why White people aren't able to celebrate their heritage in that way. I think that there are good reasons for black people having a month and other groups, but I don't think it would be bad if European-Americans had a time of celebration.

I think it would be the factor that would help in making us all equal. People should have to answer the question of why there is no European-American month. Is there one? If there is, I know there isn't one that is nationally recognized.

Blue Spark, how is Anglo-Heritage month everyday of the year? That's the problem man. We live in this mindset that "White people run everything, so why do they need a month?" That's just not true. The moment when we realize that everyone has a chance to run this world and we give White people more room to celebrate their heritage and aren't so insecure to see them have a month, is when we will ALL be better off. I think the heritage months were created out of the misunderstandings and injustices of the Black American and Hispanics (who can also be black) as the results of being the "minority," in the country. Since they weren't getting recognition or being understood, the government allowed the months. I believe that both groups asked the federal government to recognize a month of celebration.

I think the only problem with a White American month is being careful not to try to segregate people during that time. Black and Hispanic people have alwys welcomed others during the months of recognition.
Thanks for understanding my point. Those of white European ancesty shouldn't be made to feel ashamed of their heritage just because of the past. "We've come a long ways, baby". I think most whites would welcome minorities to join in a celebration of white heritage also. I would rather that this nation didn't set apart a whole month celebrating anyone's heritage however including whites. It is divisive and I think we should all just celebrate being Americans regardless of our heritages.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:02 PM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
hy don't we just make all the Budweiser billboards in L.A. in spanish as well?
They almost are.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:05 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
You gotta to be kidding me.

Now we have to read this crap on our TV.

What the hell is Spanish heritage month?

When will this crazy spanish crap stop?

Its on my signs on the roads, in the stores, on the drive through screens, on my phones. Time to end this crap.

Learn and only use English, it is our language period.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:06 PM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
There is even a college team called the FIGHTING IRISH. Why must we tolerate that. I mean this is NOT Ireland...this is the USA.
Because the migrating Scots-Irish, followed by the Southern Irish, made this country the place that it was and were heavily ingrained in this society. In fact, I don't know how many Presidents we've had of Irish heritage, but there have been quite a few, including my favorite, Old Hickory.

By the same token, I would not mind a Mexican team called the Fighting Hispanics, Fighting Aztecs, Fighting Mestizos, or something of the sort, because that is perfectly appropriate for the country of Mexico.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:26 PM

278 posts, read 621,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I guess it's time to learn Spanish. Sunday Night f'ball displayed graphics, team names in Spanish. The ads were still in English, though.
NFL marketing analyst point of view:

"More audience, more money"

Real facts:

Immigrants in general (excluding those where rugby/Australian rules football is played in their homelands) do not watch US American football because they are already adults and did not grow up being fans of that sport. Now, first generation US nationals, offsprings of immigrants, like the sport. They speak perfect english.

The NFL does not need to use different languages. That wont increase the audience.

I think the NFL owners are just too greedy. A US football game without the massive amount of Ads has barely 11 minutes of actual gameplay. It is no longer a sport, it is becoming more like a TV show filled with Ads. What a way to destroy a popular sport. The NFL should look more how Australians and British play football and rugby. They dont inject a bizillion Ads in 1 game.

Dont blame immigrants. Blame the NFL money making machine that doesnt know when to stop.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:37 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post

Real facts:

Immigrants in general (excluding those where rugby/Australian rules football is played in their homelands) do not watch US American football because they are already adults and did not grow up being fans of that sport. Now, first generation US nationals, offsprings of immigrants, like the sport. They speak perfect english.

The NFL does not need to use different languages. That wont increase the audience.

I think the NFL owners are just too greedy. A US football game without the massive amount of Ads has barely 11 minutes of actual gameplay. It is no longer a sport, it is becoming more like a TV show filled with Ads. What a way to destroy a popular sport. The NFL should look more how Australians and British play football and rugby. They dont inject a bizillion Ads in 1 game.

Dont blame immigrants. Blame the NFL money making machine that doesnt know when to stop.
Isn't soccer the most popular sport in Mexico? The NFL is clueless.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:52 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post

Real facts:

"...it is becoming more like a tv show filled with ads".
Of Course, like that's the only show
Why should football be immune?
Guess you'll just have to practice ff'g through them on your remote, like the rest of us

Old 09-27-2010, 06:05 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Isn't soccer the most popular sport in Mexico? The NFL is clueless.
Not as clueless as one might think. Mark Sanchez on the Jets gets hyped like he is a top quarterback when he is barely in the 2nd tier. Talk about overrated. He has not proven anything yet. He has had a few good games, but that commercial with Drew Brees? Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration