U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-27-2010, 07:03 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,581,657 times
Reputation: 1270

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Because the migrating Scots-Irish, followed by the Southern Irish, made this country the place that it was and were heavily ingrained in this society. In fact, I don't know how many Presidents we've had of Irish heritage, but there have been quite a few, including my favorite, Old Hickory.

By the same token, I would not mind a Mexican team called the Fighting Hispanics, Fighting Aztecs, Fighting Mestizos, or something of the sort, because that is perfectly appropriate for the country of Mexico.
Funny you say that because I was thinking about all the teams and stuff that we DO have in the US that have Spanish names. My school in Kentucky had a team called the Aztecs and even professional sports you have Spanish names. So, I don't think people are understanding that every objection to stuff like this is not racist or xenophobic. We didn't have a problem with Spanish before did we? No, it's the impact of undocumented immigration that is really the problem that people have.

If people were racist, then they would have been racist since before all of this. But no, they weren't and aren't, people are just pissed at the amount of undocumented immigration and what's going on with it. The ranchers or people in Texas weren't racist against Mexicans that were there years ago, but now that so much undocumented immigration is happening and people are fed up with it, it is easy to call people racist because they are opposing it.

 
Old 09-27-2010, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Southern California
15,088 posts, read 16,932,393 times
Reputation: 10273
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Not even all of the ads were in English. There were some that were completely in Spanish. I always think of how I speak Spanish, but I do see the forcing of Spanish and "Hispanic" culture on the nation. It makes no sense to put stats and ads in Spanish when the majority of your audience is not Spanish-speaking. Therefore, there is obviously an agenda going on there. The NFL isn't even made up of a majority or significant Hispanic-background player list, it is 4% Hispanic.

It is Hispanic Heritage Month though.

Every industry, a ton of companies are going after the "Hispanic" (whatever that means, it is such a misunderstood and misused term) demographic in order to make money.
The number one reason why it is happening and the number one reason why it won't stop.
 
Old 09-27-2010, 08:17 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,581,657 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
The number one reason why it is happening and the number one reason why it won't stop.
Yep, that's why this can't have much energy spent on it because these companies are going to advertise to whoever they want to. The real effort needs to go towards forcing our government to enforce immigration laws and to punish the employers that are employing undocumented immigrants. Also, contacting our legislators and hope, pray that they listen and aren't caught up in the money chase themselves.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=%22...UTF-8&fr=moz35

Check out all the links showing other people who noticed the commercials and what they've said about it. One of those links is to NBC's message board where a thread was started about it.
 
Old 09-27-2010, 09:14 PM
 
1,368 posts, read 1,627,376 times
Reputation: 1111
I think hispandering of the NFL by trying to sell it as "Futabol Americano" is lame.
 
Old 09-27-2010, 11:34 PM
 
Location: texas
155 posts, read 146,143 times
Reputation: 23
Spanish has more enrollments than all other foreign languages put together.

listen and hopefully most of you dont take this comments as insulting.
latin america as a whole
america imports...432,820,000,000 from latin america
compare to europe 281,800,000,000 from europe

americans who are going to be the professionals of tomorrow are studying spanish
WHY?!!
1. latin america is growing at a fast pace, and american products need to find markets there.
2. our military is growing weaker, instead of having our armies protecting our assets all the way to
asia, or africa, they could right next door.
3. we have the bilingual population to turn americas future towards a young vibrant latin america.

simple the facts are there, america is turning not because of the influence of some 11 million illegals from latin america, 20% of illegals come from asia, africa, canada, europe

america is changing because of its dependency of latin america,
its music, slowly were listening to enrique igleseias, reaggeton, salsa, merengue,
in general
americas is being SUCK BY LATIN AMERICAS INFLUENCE.


http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/46.pdf
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/row/98-840.pdf
http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/...ns/exh13tl.pdf
The Most Popular Foreign Languages: Foreign Language Enrollment in U.S. Schools
Language Log » U.S. college language enrollments
News: More Students, More Languages - Inside Higher Ed
 
Old 09-28-2010, 01:22 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
They would have no choice but to. I don't have a problem with the ads themselves, it's just all of the politics over this. It's not even beneficial to have the Spanish commercials and it is REALLY dumb to put your program graphics and text in Spanish when the majority of your audience is English speaking and most likely doesn't speak enough Spanish to know what is on the screen. I imagine they think it is "trendy" "cute" or "modern" to do that. I think someone in a board room brought it up and they went with it. Besides, Spanish-speaking people have the SAP option on their tv to get Spanish commentary, so why put Spanish on the English feed?
There sure is a lot of that. Even in areas where there are more Spanish channels than English, what's left for the English speaking Americans do the same - they have Spanish ads and shows but of course the Spanish channels don't do the same with English. It makes no sense - and it sure does seem there is a deliberate attempt being made to eliminate English because the immigrants have no intention of ever learning it.
 
Old 09-28-2010, 03:12 AM
 
Location: SXSW
640 posts, read 1,514,007 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
NFL marketing analyst point of view:

"More audience, more money"

Real facts:

Immigrants in general (excluding those where rugby/Australian rules football is played in their homelands) do not watch US American football because they are already adults and did not grow up being fans of that sport. Now, first generation US nationals, offsprings of immigrants, like the sport. They speak perfect english.

The NFL does not need to use different languages. That wont increase the audience.

I think the NFL owners are just too greedy. A US football game without the massive amount of Ads has barely 11 minutes of actual gameplay. It is no longer a sport, it is becoming more like a TV show filled with Ads. What a way to destroy a popular sport. The NFL should look more how Australians and British play football and rugby. They dont inject a bizillion Ads in 1 game.

Dont blame immigrants. Blame the NFL money making machine that doesnt know when to stop.
You're exactly right and it really makes no sense considering that Latinos who are big fans of American football had to have had some level of American acculturation. They don't want things in Spanish and are probably more comfortable in English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top