U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:13 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,240,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weenr View Post
Moderator cut: personal It's not a negative thing if people in this country are multi-lingual. There are countries in Europe and Africa where people know 5-7 languages. Most Americans can't even speak proper English, and you expect immigrants to learn it?

Its not the "Anchor Babies" you have to worry about. Worry about young Hispanic Professionals, as myself, taking your jobs. I'm the son of a LEGAL immigrant from Mexico and a WHITE mother from the good ol' US of A. To get you going, I'm multi-lingual, and was hired to replace 3 uneducated idiots!
No one is saying that being multi-lingual is a bad thing. But no native born American should have to compete for regular jobs in this country because they don't speak Spanish. Spanish is not our language! "Most" Americans can't speak proper English? You got a cite for that? What difference does that make anyway just as long as one can communicate in English? Yes, we do expect "immigrants" to learn our langauge. I don't care if they aren't completely proficient in it or that they speak it with an accent just that they can at least communicate in English. Is that too much to expect?

I see, so if a native born American can only speak English they are an idiot? What a rotten thing to say!

Last edited by Yac; 10-17-2011 at 05:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 10:23 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,167,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No one is saying that being multi-lingual is a bad thing. But no native born American should have to compete for regular jobs in this country because they don't speak Spanish. Spanish is not our language! "Most" Americans can't speak proper English? You got a cite for that? What difference does that make anyway just as long as one can communicate in English? Yes, we do expect "immigrants" to learn our langauge. I don't care if they aren't completely proficient in it or that they speak it with an accent just that they can at least communicate in English. Is that too much to expect?

I see, so if a native born American can only speak English they are an idiot? What a rotten thing to say!
Most Spanish speakers can't speak proper Spanish if he wants to criticize English.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:40 AM

4 posts, read 3,010 times
Default A leader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why does everyone always compare continents instead of Countries?

We are a leader not a follower.

If you are legal as well as your parents its not you we are talking about.

Its anchors who parents should not be here.

We are a nation of hypocrites! We are a nation full of crooked politics run by a facde of wealth. This country is well indebted to China and many other countries, but yet we claim to be one of the wealthiest?

Old 10-14-2011, 10:41 AM

Default Not me?

Quote:
We are a nation of hypocrites! We are a nation full of crooked politics run by a facde of wealth. This country is well indebted to China and many other countries, but yet we claim to be one of the wealthiest?
Also, my father came in to this country illegally to build a better life. He then took a legal path to becoming an AMERICAN CITIZEN. So maybe you are writing about me.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:

I dont remember ever saying that if somebody can only speak English they are an idiot. Maybe you saw something I didn't.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:48 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,240,876 times
Quote:
I dont remember ever saying that if somebody can only speak English they are an idiot. Maybe you saw something I didn't.
Try your post #18.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:50 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,912,911 times
anchor babies are americans. our passive dysfunctional congress has insured it.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:52 AM

2,447 posts, read 2,600,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Will anchor babies take all of Americans Jobs?

Over the years I have noticed a greater & greater increased for Bilingual jobs, schooling etc. All catered to Foreigners & anchor babies. The majority of Americans speak English. Many jobs are advertised to anchor babies and few people who are bilingual.

Most Americans don't have the option from Elementary school to take Spanish or another language as a course every school year to become bilingual. Most if any has to be paid for. Usually its 1 or 2 classes we are allowed to take.

As the trend of illegal immigration continues & more non English speaking people enter this country Illegally will anchor babies take all the jobs?
Please tell me you understand the insanity of this argument?

Old 10-14-2011, 11:16 AM

15,756 posts, read 32,703,803 times
Quote:
The problems are all three that you listed. When illegal alien parents give birth on our soil, they more than likely only know the language of their homeland and that is all they are able to teach their anchors. This creates a problem when they enter school.

Illegal immigration is the number one reason that jobs are requiring a potential hire to be bi-lingual Spanish/English these days. Hispanic Americans for the most part know how to speak English so there would be no reason for an employee to have to deal with them in Spanish.
Not really. The residental housing construction industry in the SW is basically a spanish speaking industry. It does employ illegals but mostly citizens or LPRs. Even the caucasian contractors and foreman are fluent in construction spanish.

To a large degree it happened because of the rise of the non-union contractors and sub-contractors who went to the hispanic community for their non-union workers. Now they dominate.

Also true in the house keeping departments in the hotels...you have to speak spanish to manage such an operation.

Economic forces at work...not simply catering to illegals.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:41 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,265,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Not really. The residental housing construction industry in the SW is basically a spanish speaking industry. It does employ illegals but mostly citizens or LPRs. Even the caucasian contractors and foreman are fluent in construction spanish.

To a large degree it happened because of the rise of the non-union contractors and sub-contractors who went to the hispanic community for their non-union workers. Now they dominate.

Also true in the house keeping departments in the hotels...you have to speak spanish to manage such an operation.

Economic forces at work...not simply catering to illegals.
You make some very good points. Seems that Mexico and Mexican-Americans youth know they need to work and are going into these lower level jobs, not to say you can't raise higher.

American youth are to busy watching Jersey Shore, American Idol etc... waiting to be discovered or their 15 mins of fame, to even think of starting an entry level jobs.

Infiltrate the system, is a good thing to those who plan on destroying us with our own system.

Wonder if one day people will look at Americans like Americans look at the Romans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration