Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 06:41 AM

4,865 posts, read 5,659,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weenr View Post
Also, my father came in to this country illegally to build a better life. He then took a legal path to becoming an AMERICAN CITIZEN. So maybe you are writing about me.
Boohoo.

My father also came here to build a better life but unlike yours, he did so LEGALLY. My father was poor, with no education, from a 3rd world country. Sorry but your sympathy card is just not working.

The fact that your dad became a citizen does not excuse nor "erase" how he got here in the first place. He still broke the law and this country was stupid enough to give him citizenship.

The United States will never stop rewarding law breakers and it is a SAD thing. The more you reward them, the more they WILL come....1986 should have taught as a lesson but unfortunately millions still haven't learned anything from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 10:23 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,368,601 times
Our last couple generations have learned to reach high and to avoid starting low.
Their afraid to get their hands dirty.
If you think about, to the new generations, manual labor is an insult and Embarrassment.
What they don't realize is, without Blue collar jobs, white collar jobs wouldn't exsist.
The newer generations are taught to be self centered.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:38 AM

4,865 posts, read 5,659,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Our last couple generations have learned to reach high and to avoid starting low.
Their afraid to get their hands dirty.
If you think about, to the new generations, manual labor is an insult and Embarrassment.
What they don't realize is, without Blue collar jobs, white collar jobs wouldn't exsist.
The newer generations are taught to be self centered.
Speak for yourself.

I work my behind off, always have: fast food, retail, you name it. I haven't done construction because I have back problems! My boyfriend has worked at the grocery store, as a truck driver, laborer...even though he was more than 10 years of experience in the Army as an Aviations guy. He took any job he could to support his family.

I do not know any lazy Americans. Not a single one. Everyone I know has a job and have put themselves through school.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:08 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,368,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Speak for yourself.

I work my behind off, always have: fast food, retail, you name it. I haven't done construction because I have back problems! My boyfriend has worked at the grocery store, as a truck driver, laborer...even though he was more than 10 years of experience in the Army as an Aviations guy. He took any job he could to support his family.

I do not know any lazy Americans. Not a single one. Everyone I know has a job and have put themselves through school.
Calm down please, I'm on your side:.
"corrections"
I wasn't implying that anyone was lazy.
I should have specified what class of workers ofr families I was referring to,
which was the "High" class, and not so much in the Middle or Low class .

Old 10-15-2011, 12:10 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,881,181 times
Quote:
chicagonut..........The reason you might see more minorities working the fields (and mostly Hispanics) is because many of them are here illegally and work cheap. Come on you know that. Americans value education and a middle class life style. Crop picking doesn't provide that and it is the kind of work where the body breaks down fast. It isn't a career job. Why in the world would a college educated person pick crops at minimum wage? Kind of a waste of thousand of dollars for college and the chosen field that have studied for, isn't it?
They should pick a field that isn't going to be saturated, no one is promised anything in life. College students choose a field and it's now everyone's fault they have no work........ Oh, pity them!!......I didn't get my field job either, so move along to the next money maker.

Quote:
Much of our youth don't live in rural areas. They live in the cities. You are being unrealistic to expect them to drive long distances to pick crops. There is no need for illegals where American workers can't be found to pick crops. How many times do I have to repeat that their are unlimted H-2A visas for that?

As for having to speak a language other than English to get a job in this country it is nearly always about Spanish. How many jobs have you seen in the paper that say must be able to speak Chinese? Only perhaps if it is in an ethnic business neighborhood. Spanish is being required simply because of the number of Spanish speakers here illegally. Most Hispanic-Americans are bi-lingual and know how to speak English. I resent Americans having to learn Spanish to cater to illegal aliens and therefore being discriminated against in hiring practices. Why doesn't that bother you?
^^^^^^I never said I didn't resent it, what I'm saying is our government isn't stopping it. If you want to work in certain areas of the work field you're going to have to compete. We see it in construction, we don't hire Spanish speaking, but we encounter them on the job sites and HAVE to communicate with them.

They are the workers and we HAVE to know how to tell them where we are working and the plan. We don't even speak Spanish, my crew knows enough to fake it. If your job doesn't involve another language you're lucky, some of us not so much. Should we dissolve our business, because we are unwilling to learn some of their language?? Were in a small town, the people here are legal, they just don't speak English yet. I don't think we can stereo-type all of them.

When a person gets out of HIGH SCHOOL or needs a summer job, their qualifications are not much. These jobs are available to those with not much education. Yes, they would NOT want this as a career job. It gives you some work ethic and money in your pocket.

For those in the city they have retail and fast food places to apply. I realize these are low paying jobs, it's what makes people get an education to further their selves in life. Of course, these are not jobs to make a good living. The hours do work with a person that is going to college.

I worked out of high school at a humane society cleaning up after dogs during the day and going to college at night. By some weird coincidence, I paid my power bill and could afford an apartment. With no help from student loans or my parents. No one promised these kids out of college a job at top paying level or to take out loans they couldn't afford to pay back.

If you look closely at your post, sounds like those field workers are nothing but slaves, who bring food to the American table. American kids are just to good and it's to hard on them to work like that.

Hard work makes one appreciate a good education. American kids go to college straight out of high school, most have never held a job, no work ethic, just paper knowledge.

Bottom line, if Americans would cover these jobs, and do them as well as cheap labor, the farmers and ranchers were to pay decent wages, there would be no need for illegals to come here........there would be NO JOB OPENINGS!!

Old 10-15-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Calm down please, I'm on your side:.
"corrections"
I wasn't implying that anyone was lazy.
I should have specified what class of workers ofr families I was referring to,
which was the "High" class, and not so much in the Middle or Low class .
Agree, Agree.......... not sure how either posting is implying we want Americans to "have" too speak Spanish and Americans are lazy!!

Last edited by wildflower82; 10-15-2011 at 12:24 PM..

Old 10-15-2011, 12:19 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,384,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The more immigration from Spanish speaking countries whether they be coming legally or illegally the more likelyhood there will be towards this trend. That is the result of catering to illegal alien Spanish speakers and not insisting that all immigrants assimilate to the English language which is the language of this country. I hope our English speaking politicans who are supporting this fiasco are going to be ready to be displaced by Hispanic politicians in the future. We will become just another Latin American country with all of its ills.

Always spoken like a champ. And so true your words ring out. It is so unbelievable the way this Country and it's leaders bend over backwards catering to illegals, yes from Mexico. Worse thing we can do is to bend over backwards for them, the more we give to them, the more they will come to expect more from us. I would think as so many of you say on here, they come here for a better life, yeah yeah heard it all before. Yet they cannot learn our language, but can and do expect all benefits from us, please.

The way this country is leading itself too, it shall become another Latin American Country, and our fault, who else is to blame.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Always spoken like a champ. And so true your words ring out. It is so unbelievable the way this Country and it's leaders bend over backwards catering to illegals, yes from Mexico. Worse thing we can do is to bend over backwards for them, the more we give to them, the more they will come to expect more from us. I would think as so many of you say on here, they come here for a better life, yeah yeah heard it all before. Yet they cannot learn our language, but can and do expect all benefits from us, please.

The way this country is leading itself too, it shall become another Latin American Country, and our fault, who else is to blame.
Exactly and why are Americans allowing them to come in and take our jobs. If they're not hired, they wouldn't be here.

When you go to a hotel, how many English speaking people do you encounter in housekeeping?? I've done this "low paying job", in California, when I was 20. Happened to be 15 girls, all white maids . Most of our friends would make comments on how "low paying, they'd never do, that job". Guess, that's why you don't see many white maids any more. Doors have been left wide open for others that will do "that" job.

Some Americans, think they're to good to start low and end high. The I want to be better and first at everything, ends when they walk out of high school.

Workers are needed in these "low paying job fields", if Americans won't step up, who do you want to fill these jobs?

Old 10-15-2011, 02:16 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,277,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
They should pick a field that isn't going to be saturated, no one is promised anything in life. College students choose a field and it's now everyone's fault they have no work........ Oh, pity them!!......I didn't get my field job either, so move along to the next money maker.

^^^^^^I never said I didn't resent it, what I'm saying is our government isn't stopping it. If you want to work in certain areas of the work field you're going to have to compete. We see it in construction, we don't hire Spanish speaking, but we encounter them on the job sites and HAVE to communicate with them.

They are the workers and we HAVE to know how to tell them where we are working and the plan. We don't even speak Spanish, my crew knows enough to fake it. If your job doesn't involve another language you're lucky, some of us not so much. Should we dissolve our business, because we are unwilling to learn some of their language?? Were in a small town, the people here are legal, they just don't speak English yet. I don't think we can stereo-type all of them.

When a person gets out of HIGH SCHOOL or needs a summer job, their qualifications are not much. These jobs are available to those with not much education. Yes, they would NOT want this as a career job. It gives you some work ethic and money in your pocket.

For those in the city they have retail and fast food places to apply. I realize these are low paying jobs, it's what makes people get an education to further their selves in life. Of course, these are not jobs to make a good living. The hours do work with a person that is going to college.

I worked out of high school at a humane society cleaning up after dogs during the day and going to college at night. By some weird coincidence, I paid my power bill and could afford an apartment. With no help from student loans or my parents. No one promised these kids out of college a job at top paying level or to take out loans they couldn't afford to pay back.

If you look closely at your post, sounds like those field workers are nothing but slaves, who bring food to the American table. American kids are just to good and it's to hard on them to work like that.

Hard work makes one appreciate a good education. American kids go to college straight out of high school, most have never held a job, no work ethic, just paper knowledge.

Bottom line, if Americans would cover these jobs, and do them as well as cheap labor, the farmers and ranchers were to pay decent wages, there would be no need for illegals to come here........there would be NO JOB OPENINGS!!
The problem is that because of outsourcing many white collared jobs are disappearing also. It is still important to get a college education and as I said I wouldn't expect college educated Americans to graduate and then pick crops.

Why would anyone have to communicate with a Hispanic citizen or legal immigrant in Spanish? Most here legally are bi-lingual at least. You know damned well it is the illegal kind that has to be communicated with in Spanish. Why even hire someone who can't speak our nation's language? Are we to accomodate every foreigner in their native tongue by learning their language to communicate with them?.....Please.

Many of our American youth live in cities. They can't even get a job at a fast food place because they are full of illegals and Spanish speakers. The employers want a crew that can communicate with each other. Should our American youth learn Spanish to accomodate them? It should be the other way around! It is nonsense that Americans (particulary our youth) that live in rural areas won't pick crops. I don't want food put on my table picked by an illegal alien worker when a legal immigrant or American can do that.

There already IS no need for farmers to hire illegal aliens. If an American can't be found there are unlimited H-2A visas for legal foreign crop pickers. What part of that aren't you getting?

Last edited by chicagonut; 10-15-2011 at 02:27 PM..

Old 10-15-2011, 02:24 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,277,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Exactly and why are Americans allowing them to come in and take our jobs. If they're not hired, they wouldn't be here.

When you go to a hotel, how many English speaking people do you encounter in housekeeping?? I've done this "low paying job", in California, when I was 20. Happened to be 15 girls, all white maids . Most of our friends would make comments on how "low paying, they'd never do, that job". Guess, that's why you don't see many white maids any more. Doors have been left wide open for others that will do "that" job.

Some Americans, think they're to good to start low and end high. The I want to be better and first at everything, ends when they walk out of high school.

Workers are needed in these "low paying job fields", if Americans won't step up, who do you want to fill these jobs?
It isn't "Americans" that are allowing them to come here and take our jobs. It is our corrupt government in collusion with the greedy employers and not securing our borders that is enticing them. They are hired because they work cheaper, bottom line. If they were paid the same as an American then the employers would have no reason to hire them. How does this simple concept escape you?

Many blue collared jobs such as housekeeping use to be done by white and black Americans until the arrival of cheap, illegal labor. Guess that concept escapes you also? Americans ARE willing to "step up" but just not at slave labor wages that the illegals get. This whole concept does really escape you, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration