U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:31 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,133,326 times

Advertisements

Will anchor babies take all of Americans Jobs?

Over the years I have noticed a greater & greater increased for Bilingual jobs, schooling etc. All catered to Foreigners & anchor babies. The majority of Americans speak English. Many jobs are advertised to anchor babies and few people who are bilingual.

Most Americans don't have the option from Elementary school to take Spanish or another language as a course every school year to become bilingual. Most if any has to be paid for. Usually its 1 or 2 classes we are allowed to take.

As the trend of illegal immigration continues & more non English speaking people enter this country Illegally will anchor babies take all the jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 08:52 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,185,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post

Over the years I have noticed a greater & greater increased for Bilingual jobs, schooling etc. All catered to Foreigners & anchor babies. The majority of Americans speak English. Many jobs are advertised to anchor babies and few people who are bilingual.

Most Americans don't have the option from Elementary school to take Spanish or another language as a course every school year to become bilingual. Most if any has to be paid for. Usually its 1 or 2 classes we are allowed to take.

As the trend of illegal immigration continues & more non English speaking people enter this country Illegally will anchor babies take all the jobs?
The more immigration from Spanish speaking countries whether they be coming legally or illegally the more likelyhood there will be towards this trend. That is the result of catering to illegal alien Spanish speakers and not insisting that all immigrants assimilate to the English language which is the language of this country. I hope our English speaking politicans who are supporting this fiasco are going to be ready to be displaced by Hispanic politicians in the future. We will become just another Latin American country with all of its ills.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The more immigration from Spanish speaking countries whether they be coming legally or illegally the more likelyhood there will be towards this trend. That is the result of catering to illegal alien Spanish speakers and not insisting that all immigrants assimilate to the English language which is the language of this country. I hope our English speaking politicans who are supporting this fiasco are going to be ready to be displaced by Hispanic politicians in the future. We will become just another Latin American country with all of its ills.

For legal immigrants, its an requirement to know English to immigrate here. no excuse for them

Old 09-28-2010, 10:46 AM

6,611 posts, read 10,986,116 times
Quote:
For legal immigrants, its an requirement to know English to immigrate here. no excuse for them
Except that the English requirement for naturalisation is VERY basic -
Quote:
One of the requirements for U.S. citizenship through naturalization is to take the naturalization test to demonstrate that you are able to read, write, and speak basic English and that you have a basic knowledge of U.S. history and government (also known as “civics”).
In fact the studies materials for the civics test are available in not only English, but also Chinese, Tagalog, Vietnamese and of course Spanish.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:46 AM

804 posts, read 1,177,435 times
Quote:
I do not think this is true. There is no English requirement for getting a Green Card. And the English requirement for Citizenship can be waived for older people who has been a resident for a long time ( 50/20, 50/15 rules). Even when you do have the English requirement, the test is extremely simple.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
I do not think this is true. There is no English requirement for getting a Green Card. And the English requirement for Citizenship can be waived for older people who has been a resident for a long time ( 50/20, 50/15 rules). Even when you do have the English requirement, the test is extremely simple.
But its still a requirement

Old 09-28-2010, 03:13 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,099,086 times
Quote:

I think you have to define a problem, then work to correct it. What is your contention of the problem?

* Anchor Babies ?
* Bilingual Education?
* Illegal Immigration?

To my knowledge, there are no credible studies of the linguistic capabilities of American children born to illegal aliens (anchor babies), Therefore to extrapolate some sort of advantage is not valid.

If not enopugh American school chidren are not recieving Bi-lingual Education, then that is a problem address on the School Board level.

I dont see how Illegal immigration has any tangible effect on Bi-lingual jobs.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:15 PM

21,185 posts, read 15,348,656 times
Quote:

Oh, absolutely, without a doubt

Old 09-28-2010, 03:53 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,185,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I think you have to define a problem, then work to correct it. What is your contention of the problem?

* Anchor Babies ?
* Bilingual Education?
* Illegal Immigration?

To my knowledge, there are no credible studies of the linguistic capabilities of American children born to illegal aliens (anchor babies), Therefore to extrapolate some sort of advantage is not valid.

If not enopugh American school chidren are not recieving Bi-lingual Education, then that is a problem address on the School Board level.

I dont see how Illegal immigration has any tangible effect on Bi-lingual jobs.
The problems are all three that you listed. When illegal alien parents give birth on our soil, they more than likely only know the language of their homeland and that is all they are able to teach their anchors. This creates a problem when they enter school.

Illegal immigration is the number one reason that jobs are requiring a potential hire to be bi-lingual Spanish/English these days. Hispanic Americans for the most part know how to speak English so there would be no reason for an employee to have to deal with them in Spanish.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:14 PM

5,368 posts, read 4,903,756 times
One thing that irritates me is that too many people say illegals take only the jobs that American's don't want. That isn't true.

Sure, they work the fields and certainly do other jobs that are not in high demand by Americans, but they are penetrating into fields that we would enjoy working in. Illegals are soaking up all the busser positions in restaurants here in Florida. Construction they have broken into. These are jobs that pay quite good. They would suit American college students very well, yet many of the openings are filled by illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration