U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2006, 10:50 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,062,390 times

Advertisements

I don't know what company you work for, UB50, but I will agree with you that no legal human being would put up with that kind of treatment. I think the illegals put up with it because they don't have the right to speak up. They shouldn't be working there in the first place and they know it. Would Americans do the work?--yes. Would they allow less than humane treatment?--no. Would your company need to raise prices? Probably not. No, the CEOs wouldn't make several, several billions of dollars profit for themselves, but I think they could survive on just several billions. Would they raise prices anyway? Probably. But probably we legal Americans could afford to pay the extra because we would have more jobs and they would be better jobs because they would have to treat us like humans. My husband and I have always been hardworking blue collar workers. Yes, we would do the work, but we would need to be treated with respect. This again is one of the many problems concerning illegals. I don't like the fact that many companies in the US are going back in time with the way they treat their employees. I will also agree with you that we must start cracking down on companies that hire illegals. That too is breaking the law. Enough with laws not being inforced!
Thanks for info about Hanson's book, fastfilm. I will certainly look it up. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would agree with Pat Buchanan on anything, but on this subject I do. I worry about whether people will listen to him. People have to start listening. We all have to become one voice so we're heard loud and clear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2006, 11:00 AM

692 posts, read 2,376,360 times
(How about 40 million Americans show up in Mexico City, and live for free off Mexicans. Let's see how they like it!)

Yeah! That will show them.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:15 AM

231 posts, read 464,535 times
Default shoe on the other foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancocal View Post
(How about 40 million Americans show up in Mexico City, and live for free off Mexicans. Let's see how they like it!)

Yeah! That will show them.

Ok, let`s assume 40 million Americans went to Mexico. Why did they go? Because they needed work. They were dirt poor and felt they had no other option. Maybe some wanted a "free ride". Mexican employers had a bunch of low paying jobs that they were offering, which these Americans were snatching up, and why wouldn`t they? Now Mexico is infested with hard-working, job stealing gringos. But some of these gringos are violent and/or criminals, most want rights and social benefits. What should Mexico do about the problem? Should they deport some or all (some wouldn`t be fair) of those Americans? They can`t put them in jail- there are 40 million of them. Secure the borders so that it becomes even more dangerous to try to get at those jobs? Help America get on its feet so they won`t need those jobs anymore? (but how?) or seriously crack down on the employers that are offering the jobs?

Last edited by gringo istmeño; 09-01-2006 at 11:30 AM..

Old 09-01-2006, 11:22 AM

313 posts, read 746,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Yorker View Post
Illegals want to protest? Let's do the same. Let's take a day off from work to protest. What will our government do when the middle class doesn't show up?
Haha, I told my husband this just last week! Our government needs to wake up and listen to its people. This issue has got to be addressed and a sensible plan put into action.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:24 AM

692 posts, read 2,376,360 times
Yeah ..uh gringo,
I was being facetious and cracking back on New Yorker.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:50 AM

it`s cool Dancocal, I also was focusing on New Yorkers comment, although I did think you were supporting it, but now I got it- should`ve just quoted his/her part.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:23 PM

104 posts, read 353,384 times
Here's another little fact that the government doesn't want you to know: 1/3 of prisoners are illegal immigrants. Again, the tax payer foots the bill.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:44 PM

9,715 posts, read 12,970,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
I don't know what company you work for, UB50, but I will agree with you that no legal human being would put up with that kind of treatment. I think the illegals put up with it because they don't have the right to speak up. They shouldn't be working there in the first place and they know it. Would Americans do the work?--yes. Would they allow less than humane treatment?--no.
This company tried hiring other varieties of legal people (other than immigrants). They tried hiring women going back to work off welfare, handicapped people, teenagers, ex-felons -- any type of person they could get that would work for minimum wage and put up with the 80-hour work week. Guess what? They all either quit or got fired. I tried taking things off one of those conveyor belts a few times and it was worse than that "I Love Lucy" episode where she worked in the chocolate factory. It's really hard work! I was making triple what the highest paid floor worker was making and I absolutely refused to work more than 65 hours a week. It was just too much. It's easy to work an occasional 80 hour week, but when it becomes week after week, year after year -- It's really just too much.

Also, from a company standpoint, it is cheaper paying people overtime rather than paying for two people. The company only has to pay benefits for one person, unemployment insurance for one person, workers comp insurance for one person, etc. They only pay 1 1/2 times the pay rate for hours over 40.

Once the company got rid of all the illegals and only had legal employees, we still had mostly people who didn't speak English. That was the real shocker! If you would have asked me, I would have thought that most of them would have been illegal but they weren't.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:48 PM

9,715 posts, read 12,970,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Yorker View Post
Here's another little fact that the government doesn't want you to know: 1/3 of prisoners are illegal immigrants. Again, the tax payer foots the bill.
Yeah, but the problem is: If they deport them, their government just lets them out of prison and they come back to the US. So now you have criminals on the street. Personally, I'd rather have the criminals locked up. Look at all the MS-13 gang members that have been deported and came back.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:50 PM

New Yorker- I`m a little confused- Isn`t that where you want the illegal immigrants? I realize they are there for different crimes, but jail is jail. So what do you suggest doing about those guys?

This is where I`m confused:
Most people are saying "illegal" and that the laws need to be enforced, so what punishment are you calling for when an illegal immigrant is apprehended? I`ve read that they should be considered felons, so I assume that would call for prison sentences (costly and way over-crowded). Or are most people in favor of deportation?- which would call for REAL border security, otherwise, those folks will just try to come back tomorrow, which they probably would anyways. Maybe an international law where the offending illegal immigrants are shipped back to their original country where they would serve their serve a prison sentence? (that would never fly). What do you guys suggest we do with those caught? Wouldn`t it be easier, cheaper, and more effective to just crack down on the American employers who are handing out cheap jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or