U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 01:23 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,058,533 times

Advertisements

My point exactly, UB50. Noone should be expected to work 80 hours a week for minimum wage. That's like going back a hundred years. That's why we created legislation and unions to protect workers. Companies feel they can treat people that way because illegals put up with it and bring down the quality of a job. Do you think your boss is hiring these people so he can pass the savings on to the consumer? No--it's greed. He's passing the savings onto himself and, yes, he should have consequences for such greed. I definitely believe we need to start cracking down on companies that hire illegals and it must be more than just a fine of a few thousand dollars. As I said before--they too are breaking the law!
I also believe we must have Real border security. We need to close off the borders. I'm sorry if that sounds cold, but that's what we need and we need to send people back. We don't have room for them here. Let the Border Patrol and the National Guard do their jobs.
The title of this thread is "Immigration." I found it interesting when UB50 said that even after they got rid of all the illegals they still were left with a workforce that didn't speak the language. Now maybe you can understand our frustration here in Florida. I'm sure just about all the immigrants that live near me are here legally. My great- grandparents were French Canadians and immigrated to this country. The difference? My grandparents came here to be Americans. That meant they spoke English and followed US laws. My neighbor has been in this country for 27 years. Doesn't speak a word of English. If you want to come to my country respect it--come here legally, learn our language, work hard, don't expect our government to take care of you and follow the laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2006, 06:51 PM

692 posts, read 2,372,295 times
Watch your language New Yorker or your mommy will
take away your online privilege and maybe your allowance too !

(I know if you don't get your way you'll take your country and go home)

Old 09-01-2006, 09:56 PM

311 posts, read 549,391 times
[quote=dancocal;78249]Watch your language New Yorker or your mommy will

dancocal, the point is we WANT to take our country....back to the point where we are not supporting every illegal who makes his way across the border. Back to the point where our schools are not overcrowded because we "owe" people who break the law and then have children here that taxpayers must educate; where the hospitals are not over run by illegals who get free medical care while our medical costs soar; where the local newpaper, which prints accidents/arrests, is not filled with names that I can't pronounce since I don't speak spanish; where signs and labels are printed in English/Spanish; where those same illegals can protest our laws as being "bad" while waving the Mexican flag in the country that is paying their way....I've said this before...ILLEGAL is just that, no other way to look at it. Yes, the people who hire them are wrong, but that doesn't make the ILLEGALS right.
I don't think Pat Buchanan is too far off the mark. It is time to face the problem and secure the borders.
As for prices going up, I think not having to support more people would offset that. Deportation could be and should be done.

Old 09-02-2006, 04:44 AM

104 posts, read 352,804 times
Thanks Whitney for seeing my point. dancocal must be sleeping to not see it.

I'm all in favor of having immigrants come to America, as long as I don't have to pay for them, and as long as they do it LEGALLY.

[quote=whitney;78386]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancocal View Post
Watch your language New Yorker or your mommy will

dancocal, the point is we WANT to take our country....back to the point where we are not supporting every illegal who makes his way across the border. Back to the point where our schools are not overcrowded because we "owe" people who break the law and then have children here that taxpayers must educate; where the hospitals are not over run by illegals who get free medical care while our medical costs soar; where the local newpaper, which prints accidents/arrests, is not filled with names that I can't pronounce since I don't speak spanish; where signs and labels are printed in English/Spanish; where those same illegals can protest our laws as being "bad" while waving the Mexican flag in the country that is paying their way....I've said this before...ILLEGAL is just that, no other way to look at it. Yes, the people who hire them are wrong, but that doesn't make the ILLEGALS right.
I don't think Pat Buchanan is too far off the mark. It is time to face the problem and secure the borders.
As for prices going up, I think not having to support more people would offset that. Deportation could be and should be done.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:52 AM

Good morning Whitney, New Yorker.
Yes I slept well, thank you. Hope you did as well.

Here is little more of my take on our "immigration issues"
This has been a long time in the making, yet people were
for years looking thru it as they gladly accepted the benefits
of cheap labor, workers who would show other Americans
(that were on the bottom rung of the social ladder) "we will
get someone else who will". This allowed for a policy that allowed
big business to do the same to the middle class so they could
get even richer in the world market. Double jeopardy really, as we
also shouldered the burden of the tax liability to subsidize back door
labor. To top it off - greed never sleeps - they are offshoring even
more decent jobs. Now we notice and we are pist. My concern
is for the innocents that will be caught up in the backlash. There
are some incredibly hard working good people out there (learning
English) that will make great Americans. My wish (sigh...) is for
an administration that can stand up to big business.
Don't get me started on crime, here I can be brutal.
Like Barreta (ironical) said.. "don't do the crime if you can't do the
time" ! Could you imagine if white collar criminals had to serve in a
general population prison. Personal responsibility starts at the top.

On a personal note, I too get fighting mad when (I used to live in Chicago)
I see our country insulted by car loads of punks honking the horn and waving
the flag of country there not in. To them I say "Why are you here than ?"

Old 09-02-2006, 07:32 AM

Don't care ? That's not the American way.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Good morning Whitney, New Yorker.
Yes I slept well, thank you. Hope you did as well.

Here is little more of my take on our "immigration issues"
This has been a long time in the making, yet people were
for years looking thru it as they gladly accepted the benefits
of cheap labor, workers who would show other Americans
(that were on the bottom rung of the social ladder) "we will
get someone else who will". This allowed for a policy that allowed
big business to do the same to the middle class so they could
get even richer in the world market. Double jeopardy really, as we
also shouldered the burden of the tax liability to subsidize back door
labor. To top it off - greed never sleeps - they are offshoring even
more decent jobs. Now we notice and we are pist. My concern
is for the innocents that will be caught up in the backlash. There
are some incredibly hard working good people out there (learning
English) that will make great Americans. My wish (sigh...) is for
an administration that can stand up to big business.
Don't get me started on crime, here I can be brutal.
Like Barreta (ironical) said.. "don't do the crime if you can't do the
time" ! Could you imagine if white collar criminals had to serve in a
general population prison. Personal responsibility starts at the top.

On a personal note, I too get fighting mad when (I used to live in Chicago)
I see our country insulted by car loads of punks honking the horn and waving
the flag of country there not in. To them I say "Why are you here than ?"
I will agree with you on some points..."some incredibly hard working good people out there (learning English) that will make great Americans" is certainly true, but that should not bypass the fact that they should be LEGAL in order to be here!!
I am glad you disapprove of the flag waving "punks" waving the flag of a country they are not in...I'm with you on that!
I do disagree with "personal responsibility starts at the top." At face value, it may be correct, but ultimately personal responsibility should have no limits...it is each person, no matter what standing in life, taking responsibility for there own life, living according to the law of both man and God...even though I may not always agree with some of those laws!
And yes, thanks, I did sleep well.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Don't care ? That's not the American way.
You lost me on that one!! Care to explain?

Old 09-03-2006, 01:04 AM

9,595 posts, read 22,898,648 times
I thought that crack about sending all the Mexicans to Canada was because we have so many immigrants that have moved here legally due to lower immigration standards. We have approximately as many new legal immigrants per year as the U.S. does, (hundreds of thousands) but our population is 1/10th of yours, around 30 million. We have a new Prime Minister from a different party and hopefully our immigration won't be as loose.

So many people I heard had refugee status from countries that were not at war. I thought "refugee" meant that your life was threatened in your home country.

One time there was a Jamaican guy who came here and murdered someone here. Instead of sentencing, they deported him. He came back, he murdered someone else and I believe they deported him again. Then he came back and re-offended again and perhaps the third time they might have done something. Insane, isn't it?

I think for non-violent offenders it might be all right to deport them, but deporting murderers seems stupid to me.

When I meant we only have English/French labels, that would be on our regular grocery items and on our official signs and documents. It is legal to sell products with other languages on them, in fact I've seen some packages that have no English or French on them. But these packages without English or French were not in a regular store, it was in a Chinese grocery store.

In Quebec they past tough French sign laws (to protect their language mostly from English Canadian influence) that all signs must have French and if there is other languages beside it, the other languages must be in smaller lettering than the French lettering.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:21 AM

338 posts, read 1,298,009 times
Default Finally Hit Home...

This issue has finally hit way up North! We have Spanish speaking neighbors but their children speak English...neither the Mother or Father work--not sure where they get their money for rent, bills, 2 cars ect...any ways- in school at kindergarten registration there was a Spanish speaking only 5 year old girl. Her and her mother came with an interperter (county job). Now our Spanish teacher for our school has to find time in her schedule to come into this classroom and interpret for this child. As the little girl sat there with the other kids and the teacher read a book she was fidgity, looking all around, getting up and walking around- because she didn't know what was being said and she became bored-- it set off two boys that thought if she could get up and move around so could they-- I felt as sorry for the teacher(s) as I did for her being lost in our area- it should prove to be an interesting year. Anyway- our town is small (less than 5000 people) but its here and only going to get worse for everyone involved...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or