U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 10:18 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,021,654 times

Advertisements

Here's the difference, Heathersmom, between people I've known my age who started similarly in California. These friends told me they had one very, very difficult year at the inception, then, everything worked out. They are, all of them, highly educated, unaccented individuals. Nowadays, your neighbor child will have little change in the Spanish language dominating her life. I hope for her sake she does not have activists in your town pushing for her education continuing in Spanish rather than English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 06:24 AM

286 posts, read 1,506,163 times
Default Movie

I haven't read all of this thread so if anybody has already mentioned this, please forgive my repeating of it. There is a movie coming out called Border War. If you're interested in hearing more you can go to border war movie dot com.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:38 AM

338 posts, read 1,298,744 times
Default fastfilm

No- nobody in town has "pushed" one way or the other. I know the school was falling all over themselves the other night to accomodate this child and her mother...needless to say our district is approx. 98.5% white students. The rest are either malotto(maybe 4) or adopted from China. The only problems I have heard about the immigrants in town- were when they went to a local bar and for what-ever reason they fought amongst themselves and one pulled a knife...now that was big news for our small town and our police. The farmer that hired them went to court for them-I don't know what ever came of it? One judge in our town stepped down because people said he was impartial to the "mexicans" -- the most I see of their presence other than in the store is when they go out with girls in town that are not the best girls- welfare mothers, over-weight girls ect...once in awhile you will se about 6 of them in one little car with a girl...reminds me of the clown cars in a circus... BTW heres part of an article I read:
"...Hispanic births are skyrocketing in the Southeast, where an increase of at least 40 percent was recorded in five states between 2000 and 2003, according to a new government report.
Among the states with the largest increases were Kentucky (80 percent), South Carolina (62 percent), Alabama (53 percent), Tennessee (53 percent) and Arkansas (40 percent), the report found...California and Texas continue to have the largest Mexican populations, North Carolina and Georgia had the highest fertility rates for Mexican mothers.
In North Carolina, there were 181 births per 1,000 Mexican women ages 15 to 44 in 2000. In Georgia, the fertility rate was 180 per 1,000 Mexican women.
In contrast, the U.S. fertility rate for Mexican-American women was 105 per 1,000. California's was 112, and Texas' was 124."

Old 09-04-2006, 07:45 AM

9,595 posts, read 22,919,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
I hope for her sake she does not have activists in your town pushing for her education continuing in Spanish rather than English.
What does that mean? I hope it does not mean if you live in a certain school district, all your courses will be taught in Spanish. (ie. kids who only understand English probably will fail every class and grade?) I suppose that would mean English people would mean going to English private schools or home schools. Or parent teacher meeting with a teacher who only speaks Spanish...

In a way, this seems a little funny to me. Most countries in the world, like in Europe or Japan, make their students also learn English so they can have an edge in the business world. I'm often impressed to listen and talk to people from those countries. Yes they usually have an accent, but they can understand more than half of what anyone says to them, even if they just moved here. Although it is harder, it would be beneficial for the Spanish immigrant children in America to be taught in English schools. Up here almost all public schools are English, but they usually hire some ESL teachers too.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:23 AM

Clarification: here in Los Angeles, despite statewide lawful mandate for English immersion, there are movements against it from elected officials and assorted misguided ethnic activists. Mayor Villaraigosa has said, in his personal takeover of all of the school districts here, that he wishes Spanish speaking children to continue their education in Spanish. My teacher husband claims having teaching assistants helping the non-English speakers for a few hours a day is far more beneficial to the students, whereupon they learn English far more rapidly. This is extremely important in a metropolis where 40% of everyone here is foreign born, and 60% of students do not come from English speaking households.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:03 PM

9,595 posts, read 22,919,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
This is extremely important in a metropolis where 40% of everyone here is foreign born, and 60% of students do not come from English speaking households.
Yes, but wouldn't many of them like the opportunity for a good job that could be outside of Los Angeles?

Like I said before, most European countries teach more English to their students than we teach other languages to ours because they believe it helps them be competitive. Or how about the Japanese? They have many successful businesses and there are very few Japanese who don't speak at least a little English. Even if 50 million spanish speaking immigrants moved to the U.S. and became citizens, there will still be a lot more work opportunities to those who understand English, especially since it seems almost all the other immigrants want to learn it or have already done so.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:33 AM

You'd think so, ColdCanadian! With over 110 different languages spoken in Los Angeles and 15 used routinely on government correspondence, one would think these immigrants would consider it essential to learn English to communicate with one another as well as the rest of the United States. But no.

There is now an ingrained, divisive CHOICE of ethnic insulation in L.A., wherein instead of offering the best aspects of the immigrants' cultures to contribute their know-how to the country to which they moved, they fight to keep that insulation forever entrenched. 15 languages, as I wrote earlier, are used in all civic correspondance to the general populace from this pressure. When you read in the American press of "Balkanization," it's not an archaic term loosely applied: here in L.A., it's real.

On the Los Angeles forum, check out the thread "10 Kids!" which relates a recent news story here about a woman from Mexico living in L.A. for 22 years, never off welfare, who indeed had 10 kids with fertility drugs, on the taxpayers' dollars, and has zero English skills. It's a primer for what has happened here. The article investigated her attititude, which unfortunately osmosed to her kids, with a fascinating comparison. This woman's own siblings emigrated to other parts of the U.S., learned English, and rose up the economic scale from factory labor to white collar jobs within 10 years of arrival.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:30 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,059,851 times
I read about that article on another post this morning. I found it very interesting! Thanks for pointing it out to everyone, fastfilm. I hope they take the time to read about it.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:02 AM

26 posts, read 59,983 times
Default Bottom Line

After all is said and done and all of you are through speculating:

No Mexican is ever "illegal" in any of the territory STOLEN from Mexico.

And that includes California, along with Arizona, New Mexico, Texas. Nevada, and Utah. Also, parts of Oklahoma and Colorado.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:36 AM

This childish and inane statement was addressed with the actual facts of history in posts 71 through 75 on this thread, including Mexico's infinitesimal governance of Calif. for 25 whole years, and the moderators don't like posts to be repeated.

Paulscott, would you PLEASE give everything you own to the Tongva Native Americans and abide by their 500 years in the past ruling governments to prove the veracity of your prattle? Southern California was occupied by them before Spain "stole" it (Mexico had nothing to do with initial colonization.) But then again the Tongva superceded the Clovis people, who superceded the Cro-Magnons, who superceded... wait a minute, the Asians walked here over the Bering Strait in the first place. It's theirs! ... but then again, they evolved from those pesky Europeans, who evolved from people and their earlier Homonid forms in Africa. Give Mexico back to Africa! (with no disrespect intended towards Africa.)

Paulscott, modern history has fixed, legal borders. Illegally crossing them and illegal residence in modern countries is against their laws. Deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or