U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 11:27 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,909,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
I can only laugh at your total lack of understanding of the seriousness of illegal immigration.
RedNC, you are reading too much into my post. Of course it is not okay to steal and use someone else's SS#. What I was responding to was the statement that was made about destroying someone's credit because of using their SS#. IF you had read my response you would understood that. YES it is a crime and the individuals who do this should be prosecuted, however using someone's SS# for work purposes isn't the same as using it to obtain CREDIT that you buy things with, having no intentions of paying it off because the identity isn't yours.

The IRS will work with you. I personally have experienced identity theft and it is not fun, you're right. BUT, it is so rampant now - done mainly by AMERICAN citizens, that most companies and government institutions DO WORK WITH THE VICTIMS. Obviously you are clueless about this. Case in point. I had my SS# used to open a cell phone account, I never even knew about it because the phone company tracked and closed down the account so fast that they never contacted me about it. I learned about it by accident while discussing phone plans with a rep over the phone. The bill had been run up to over $3,000. They NEVER approached me to pay it because they had their own internal fraud department handle it.

I also know someone (my sister to be exact) who had someone use her SS# for a job, and she was informed about it when she filed her taxes!! That's why I know how they contact people who are victims of this type of identity theft. The IRS DID work with her and resolved the issue. Think about it...
If you've never worked someplace, don't you think the hiring manager would be a good person to go to and confirm that in fact you never worked for them?

I'm not supporting or condoning illegal immigrants, I'm just not blaming them for all of the problems everyone on this post is so willing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansmom View Post
So if someone is dead it makes it absolutely okay to use their SS#? Your kidding me right? That's like saying it's okay to rob the local bank today because the security guard is on vacation, no harm no foul.......it's no wonder there are problems in this country with that thought process.
Again, I was not excusing illegal SS# use. RedNc made a comment about the use of a SS# for work and made the assumption that because of this the victim's credit was ruined. There is simply no correlation between the two.

I have had my SS# used for fraud and my credit was not affected because the companies caught it immediately and closed down the accounts. Identity theft is very, very common now and companies are much more adept at dealing with it now than in previous years.

It's not excusable, it is a fact of life. Illegal immigrants are not the main culprit, it is AMERICAN citizens - which I happen to be.

Last edited by Marka; 08-20-2006 at 03:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2006, 08:01 AM

231 posts, read 463,999 times
Default take down the statue of liberty.

The inscription on the Statue of Liberty states, “Send me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free. The wretched refuse of your teeming shores. Send these, the homeless, tempest tossed to me. I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

Old 08-21-2006, 08:23 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,019,301 times
Again, every immigrant espying the Statue of Liberty and coming through Ellis Island was legal. Each was tested for communicable diseases, and had to produce proof that someone other than the U.S. government would be responsible for him or her, usually family already here. If neither was in order, entrance was denied. A MUCH better system than the present one of identity theft, government assistance funded by taxing citizens who will never receive the same benefits themeselves and are in danger of being taxed into poverty themselves.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:23 AM

286 posts, read 1,505,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo istmeņo View Post
The inscription on the Statue of Liberty states, “Send me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free. The wretched refuse of your teeming shores. Send these, the homeless, tempest tossed to me. I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”
I heard somebody say this once: "We're up to our asses in poor huddled masses". LOL

Old 08-21-2006, 09:54 AM

Default take down the statue

You can`t deny the double standard- the statue says one thing and the law says another. It was a better system back then because at least they gave you a chance. You should see these people trying to get in legally these days at the embassy in Mexico City- doesn`t really matter what you can prove, and there is certainly no preference given to the poor. Lets see a homeless person in Mexico be granted legal access to the US- that is what the statue of Liberty is all about. So can you deny the double standard?

Actually, the system then and the system now is really not that different, the difference is that there are more people now that wanted to come in than before, and it is now a lot harder than before. But preference was always given to the richer, more affluent groups. Coming off the boats in Ellis Island, if you were a first or second class traveller, you didn`t need to prove anything- they figured if you had the money to buy the ticket, then you probably wouldn`t be a burdeon later on.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:56 AM

Default take down the statue

Fastfilm: to say that "every immigrant who came through Ellis Island was legal" is like saying "every immigrant who comes through the US embassy in Mexico is legal" which is true- but it doesn`t mean that every immigrant who went to New York was legal......

Old 08-21-2006, 10:25 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,019,301 times
Your take on modern day preference is incorrect. An example: ICE gave my sister-in-law, a Danish pediatric oncology nurse (now there's a heartbreaking but necessary vocation) an incredibly difficult time, even as a wife of an American citizen. Meanwhile my dogs are shot at through the fence, and I'm spat on by illegals here in L.A. And each and every illegal has government services paid for by us, the taxpayers, that we, the taxpayers, will never recieve ourselves. You think this is just to our citizenry?

Old 08-21-2006, 10:36 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,137,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo istmeņo View Post
You can`t deny the double standard- the statue says one thing and the law says another. It was a better system back then because at least they gave you a chance. You should see these people trying to get in legally these days at the embassy in Mexico City- doesn`t really matter what you can prove, and there is certainly no preference given to the poor. Lets see a homeless person in Mexico be granted legal access to the US- that is what the statue of Liberty is all about. So can you deny the double standard?

Actually, the system then and the system now is really not that different, the difference is that there are more people now that wanted to come in than before, and it is now a lot harder than before. But preference was always given to the richer, more affluent groups. Coming off the boats in Ellis Island, if you were a first or second class traveller, you didn`t need to prove anything- they figured if you had the money to buy the ticket, then you probably wouldn`t be a burdeon later on.
I’ll tell you what gringo istmento, since you think there is a double standard then maybe the US should adopt the same guide lines that they use in Mexico. That would be the fairest way to address this issue, don’t you agree? I think this would be the best way to fix this problem.

In brief, the Mexican Constitution states that:
• Immigrants and foreign visitors are banned from public political discourse.
• Immigrants and foreigners are denied certain basic property rights.
• Immigrants are denied equal employment rights.
• Immigrants and naturalized citizens will never be treated as real Mexican citizens.
• Immigrants and naturalized citizens are not to be trusted in public service.
• Immigrants and naturalized citizens may never become members of the clergy.
• Private citizens may make citizens arrests of lawbreakers (i.e., illegal immigrants)
and hand them to the authorities.
• Immigrants may be expelled from Mexico for any reason and without due process.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:04 AM

Fastfilm,- what is my take on modern preference? I said it was easier then than now- a hundred years ago your sister-in-law would have got in easy- now there really is no preference, as she will attest- it is a lotery. The system to legally enter the US is unfair and in some cases humiliating to honest,good-intentioned would-be travellers or immigrants.

And to RedNC- Are you kidding? Mexico is the king of double-standards- why would I agree to adopt Mexican Immigration laws? All I said was to take the statue down because it represents a gross double-standard. You can`t praise the Statue of Liberty, and what she stands for, and at the same time call for closed borders. I`m not saying what is right or wrong, just saying what it is- a double-standard. How is it not?

Old 08-21-2006, 11:24 AM

and I`m sorry, but this is just ridiculous, "I`m spat on by illegals"- c`mon now. Americans spit on people too. Anyone can spit on you, and how do you know that person/people spat on you is illegal? And you make it sound like they did it because they are illegal- maybe they just didn`t like you. To make some kind of correlation between being an illegal immigrant and spitting on people is silly. Hell I`ve been spit on before, and I`m pretty sure that it was by an american citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or