U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 07:16 PM

231 posts, read 463,918 times

Advertisements

It is also a primary source of legal, as well as illegal immigrants. But how is it Mexico`s fault? Because the government is corrupt? Because everyone is poor? Just because immigrants come from there doesn`t mean Mexico is to blame. Mexico isn`t offering to pay them to stay. Well, maybe they should, and maybe they can`t. You think teachers in America have shabby pay? I`m a university professor down here- I make top dollar on this coast, and that`s about 5 bucks an hour. So what are the poor farmers making? The gas station attendants? counter-clerks? To you these are just excuses. But to many people, it`s a reason. To me, it`s the reason why not to blame the country or the people. They are the ones with their backs to the wall, living in tin, mud and cardboard shacks.
And these conditions are all over the world, but only Mexico is in walking distance.
I`m going to a REAL gross speculation: If Fast Film were born into these conditions, she would think differently- she might even be that "bank-robber". But lucky for her she wasn`t, now all she has to do is point fingers.

Anyways, for the record, I say throw drug dealers, murderers, drunk drivers, abusers, rapers, molesters, etc in jail. That to me is real criminal activity. Stop offering illegal immigrants jobs if you don`t want them there. If it`s going to be against the law to be an undocumented worker, why not focus on the employers as the criminals? Aren`t they also the ones trying to make the "easy money" by paying minimum wage or less? Stop blaming Mexico because it is not their problem.

Last edited by gringo istmeņo; 08-28-2006 at 07:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2006, 07:33 PM

alright red- i agree with all that, except for I see on this forum a lot of yelling at the mice. And my kitchen in Mexico is filthy- I wouldn`t even know where to start the clean up, I don`t think anybody does. I mean you said you haven`t been "allowed" to keep the kitchen clean due to the greedy government, well, neither have the poor people in these corrupt third-world nations.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:01 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,018,519 times
Just as a note of comparison, the rich here in America would be the only ones agreeing with you gringo istmeno. The poor, working poor (moi) and middle classes are the ones who do not use the services of illegals, and in fact are in competition for the same jobs, only now with depressed wages. Don't blame the good guys here for the greed of those engaging in criminality and illegality.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:18 PM

9,716 posts, read 12,940,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
I take exception to that statement. In order to obtain citizenship one MUST have a "working knowledge of English".
This is only if you want to become a citizen. You don't have to become a citizen to be here legally.

Also, if you are over 50 or 55 and have lived here legally for over 15 or 20 years, you can become a citizen without passing the English test.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:57 PM

311 posts, read 549,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo istmeņo View Post

And to RedNC- All I said was to take the statue down because it represents a gross double-standard. You can`t praise the Statue of Liberty, and what she stands for, and at the same time call for closed borders. I`m not saying what is right or wrong, just saying what it is- a double-standard. How is it not?
Yep, take the statue down (we know where it came from ) sell it for scrap and apply the money for fences and better border patrol. No matter how you look at it, illegal means "against the law." Refer back to post #10 and the illegal woman who is so concerned about her child. She was here illegally, deported, returned (illegally) and was thoughtful enough to have a child....wonder why? I'm sure any taxpayer could answer that question. One other thing I don't understand in that "pitiful" situation where the mother is afraid of being separated from her child....why is a minister supporting a lawbreaking person and saying the law is a bad one therefore she can break it. I personally think welfare for the masses of illegals is bad, but do you REALLY think the church will stand behind me if I refuse to pay taxes? We have to support the MM and people who want to stop illegal aliens. Each state should take part in rounding up and sending back to Mexico a certain number of illegals......

Old 08-29-2006, 02:07 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,301,728 times
This will be short because this topic angers me so much that my heart starts to pound at the thought (as it is now)...

"Serious crimes should be treated seriously and i dont think someone being here illegally is serious."
This is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever seen in my life to the point where it should almost be treated as treason!!!

If I were president, there would be a wall acoss the border, ANYONE trying to enter would be sent back immediately!!! ANYONE employing/helping/assisting ANYONE here ILLEGALLY would be JAILED!!!!!!!!!! IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!

Oh-one of the other most ignorant statements I have ever seen was the BS about AMERICAN CITIZENS not taking 9/10 dollar an hour jobs! Well guess what? That's what I make. And I'm AMERICAN born & raised & registered REPUBLICAN!!!!!!!! It is my choice - as someone so wonderfully expressed on the TN boards, "money doesn't matter-I work so that I can live on the days I don't work"!!! That wasn't an exact quote & I don't remember who said it. But it was WONDERFUL!!!

Oh-and if I was president YOU COULD NOT BE A CITIZEN WITHOUT SPEAKING ENGLISH!!!!!!! Not only that, but there would be NO SUCH THING AS A "PERMANENT RESIDENT"!!!!!!!! What the hell is that??????!!!!!!! If you don't want to become a citizen-GET OUT!!!!!!!!!!! And you SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO WORK HERE IF YOU DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH!!!!!!! I DARE someone to go to Mexico, China, Russia, Germany-ANYWHERE BUT HERE & get a job without speaking the local language! YOU WON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DO NOT WANT TO BE ASKED TO PRESS ANYTHING FOR SPANISH!!!!!!!!!
IT'S A GODDAMN DISGRACE THAT THIS COUNTRY CATERS TO PEOPLE WHO DO NOT EVEN HAVE THE RESPECT TO LEARN THE LANGUAGE OF THE COUNTRY THAT THEY ARE BENEFITTING FROM!!!!!!!!!!!!

And if I had a PENNY for every time I heard someone say "In MY country" & I wanna say "So what the f@#k is THIS then"????????? If it's not "your country" WHY ARE YOU HERE?????????!!!!!!!!!!

OK-I can't go on without needing a valium so I will end this.

But I want it to be CLEAR...I am NOT RACIST!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T CARE WHERE YOU'RE FROM OR WHAT LANGUAGE YOU SPEAK. COME HERE LEGALLY, SPEAK ENGLISH AND BECOME A CITIZEN.

Is that too much to ask???!!! (Apparently, unfortunately)
So much for a brief post...

Old 08-29-2006, 07:57 AM

"I DARE someone to go to Mexico, China, Russia, Germany-ANYWHERE BUT HERE & get a job without speaking the local language! YOU WON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Actually Elfyum, I live and work in Mexico, and most of my collegues here don`t speak Spanish- I guess it depends what you are doing for work, but in ESL, you can go all over the world, get a job, and not speak the language.

And I can`t really come across that quote you used to start your message. Who said that?

Old 08-29-2006, 08:07 AM

9,595 posts, read 22,898,648 times
Elfyum;
You wouldn't need a wall at the U.S./Mexico border if most people and employers feared the notion of hiring illegal or undocumented workers, just as most people would be afraid to knowingly getting into a car with a few kilos of cocaine.

If the U.S. passed laws of how employing someone who isn't allowed to work there, holding that as similar to 'treason' or even 'habouring possible terrorists,' either of which are criminal and could send the boss or anyone associated with the hiring processes to prison, then they wouldn't need increased border patrols just for 'migrant workers.'

Did you know that no one is allowed to become a citizen until they have lived in the U.S. for at least 5 years? I would like to become a U.S. citizen too, but how would someone like me be able to stay and work until that 5 year period is up. Gaining U.S. citizenship has nothing to do with just wanting to be an American and being able to speak English. If it was, I would have become one years ago.

Furthermore, someone was mentioning about sponsoring family members. This in my experience doesn't make it easy to move there. Almost half of my extended family is American and two of my dad's uncle's worked for NASA, and I have second cousins who are professors in American universities. Perhaps it doesn't seem to make it easier, since no family members offered to let me live with them. But besides that, all of my American relatives mean almost nothing to the U.S. immigration, as far as helping to make it easier for me to live and work there legally.

BTW, New Zealand has a policy that to be even allowed permanent residence, you still have to pass an English literacy test. I think the main difference is for citizenship they might have an even tougher exam.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:43 PM

26 posts, read 59,947 times
Bottom Line:

NO Mexican is ever "illegal" in any of the territory STOLEN from Mexico. And that includes California.

All of you complaining so loudly are the johnny come lately squatters.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:22 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,301,728 times
pauscott-another amazingly ignorant statement!!!
Yes, war is stupid. But well, hey-that's how the human race seems to work.
According to your theory "Americans" are all here illegally because we "stole" this country from the Indians. (Native Americans)
Sorry, but war works like this...if someone invades & wins, it's theirs. Until someone else tries & wins. Then it's THEIRS! Silly? Yes. Reality? Yes.
That's why anyone who thinks Israel should "give back" anything is mistaken.
They should not give back what they "won". We should not give back what we "won". That's why we need a strong military to protect us since there are many who want to come here & "win".
Don't ask me-I didn't make society. I didn't make the rules.
But there have been so many wars, takeovers, invasions, overthrown governments, etc. that it's just the way it is.
And if a bunch of aliens come down & "take over" the earth, well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or