U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2010, 08:34 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,911 posts, read 30,173,166 times
Reputation: 17739

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Show me where I said that...
Haven't you said over and over that you would like to see legal immigration made easier, as in more? Isn't that supporting changing our laws?


To a point I also agree, but only for ag jobs that require a sponsor so the workers can't sponge off social services I pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2010, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,893 posts, read 12,280,039 times
Reputation: 2531
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Haven't you said over and over that you would like to see legal immigration made easier, as in more? Isn't that supporting changing our laws?


To a point I also agree, but only for ag jobs that require a sponsor so the workers can't sponge off social services I pay for.
You do understand that people who are employed with employment authorization cards have the same deductions on their paychecks that you do, correct? They pay into federal and state taxes, social security and medicare just like anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2010, 08:48 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,911 posts, read 30,173,166 times
Reputation: 17739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
You do understand that people who are employed with employment authorization cards have the same deductions on their paychecks that you do, correct? They pay into federal and state taxes, social security and medicare just like anyone else.
A contract worker doesn't get a pension , in most cases, from a Govt job. In many cases contract workers get nothing more than a check. IMO ag jobs should be taxed for everything but SS or healthcare. I think the healthcare should be covered by the employer. The worker should have to pay for services outside of healthcare provided by the employer.

I also think ag job Visas should be a notch below a green card as far as taxes or benefits. They are temp workers, pay them cash or wire the pay, record it and be done with it. If we are going to rework the system we need to get these workers set up with sponsors who can be held responsible and keep the workers out of the SS and health system. The business should be responsible for that, not the tax payers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2010, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,893 posts, read 12,280,039 times
Reputation: 2531
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
A contract worker doesn't get a pension , in most cases, from a Govt job. In many cases contract workers get nothing more than a check. IMO ag jobs should be taxed for everything but SS or healthcare. I think the healthcare should be covered by the employer. The worker should have to pay for services outside of healthcare provided by the employer.
I don't know much about ag jobs but I'd be really damn surprised if many of those places offered their employees health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,836,058 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Yeah how silly. Clearly they should fight to change America's government instead. Because nothing says realistic like demands that Americans allow every single Mexican with a sixth grade education, no skills, not a word of English and five children to come here and get subsidized education, housing and meals.

That'll work.

I reiterate: Americans are not responsible for making sure that Mexicans have an ideal country. That problem is Mexico's not ours. No rational human beings can possibly expect otherwise. Mexicans need to fix up their own country instead of attempting to screw the American taxpayer to suit their own highly selfish needs.
Crazy, isn’t it? They CAN’T fight for change in their own country, yet they somehow muster the nerve to march their illegal butts in OUR streets demanding we change OUR laws to accommodate them. What a group of arrogant parasites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,836,058 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Show me where I said that...
Donít you want them legalized? If that isnít changing our laws I donít know what is. What a pathetic group. Their own country doesnít want them, so they flee to another country that doesnít want them. Well, they will have to either accept the conditions they refuse to fight in Mexico, or grow a pair and fight for change IN Mexico. The decision is theirs. But, they canít remain here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 08:21 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I don't know much about ag jobs but I'd be really damn surprised if many of those places offered their employees health insurance.
When the farmers follow the laws to obtain legal foreign workers under the H-2A visas they indeed are responsible for their health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 03:22 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,911 posts, read 30,173,166 times
Reputation: 17739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I don't know much about ag jobs but I'd be really damn surprised if many of those places offered their employees health insurance.
It is possible to walk into a clinic, get help and actually pay with cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,893 posts, read 12,280,039 times
Reputation: 2531
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It is possible to walk into a clinic, get help and actually pay with cash.
Yeah although I don't know of any clinic that charges any of that upfront, besides the co-pay. It's always a bill that gets sent in the mail a month later. I'm just picturing somebody walking out of a surgery, walking up the front desk where a cashier is sitting and she telling the patient, "Ok, so 1 open heart surgery, medication and lodging with 24 hour nursecare for 2 weeks, would you like anything else today? Ok, that will be $58,240 please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2010, 10:21 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,911 posts, read 30,173,166 times
Reputation: 17739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Yeah although I don't know of any clinic that charges any of that upfront, besides the co-pay. It's always a bill that gets sent in the mail a month later. I'm just picturing somebody walking out of a surgery, walking up the front desk where a cashier is sitting and she telling the patient, "Ok, so 1 open heart surgery, medication and lodging with 24 hour nursecare for 2 weeks, would you like anything else today? Ok, that will be $58,240 please.

So you would rather US taxpayers pay for it vs the home country of the individual?

I also don't think clinics do heart surgery do they?


And yes, people do sneak over here just to have us pay for those types of surgeries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top