U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2010, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 10,946,003 times
Reputation: 3083

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Regarding jobs, the only Americans that need to worry about losing their jobs out to uneducated and unskilled immigrants are those Americans working low-skilled and jobs which don't require an education.

And with the enactment of the DREAM Act our govt would flood our job market with how many former illegals that have their eye on those jobs that DO require an education and skills?

and AGAIN, it's not immigrants that concern us - it's those here illegally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2010, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I can learn about other cultures without having to learn their language. We already have many cultures living among us. I can also travel abroad. It is ridiculous to learn languages you will hardly ever use. How many languages would you expect Americans to learn and again for what reason?
That's weird because I use my Spanish every day, including for my job, and I live in Minnesota. If I lived in Southern California or Chicago I'd probably be using my Spanish even more. I kind of wish I took the time to learn Arabic too because it is heavily used in some Minneapolis neighborhoods. Unfortunatley currently the only Arabic I know is a couple vulgar words Besides that, the US Gov't is constantly looking for people to work as Arabic translators in their efforts in anti-terrorism, etc. so it would likely lead to additional job opportunities.

Quote:
You failed to answer my question as to how increasing our legal immigration quotas would stop illegal immigration when plainly there are millions of potential immigrants across the world that we wouldn't be able to accomodate through the legal process.
I fail to understand the correlation between expanding legal immigration and blocking out potential legal immigrants in other countries.

Quote:
I find it sad that you think that jobs such as construction should be beneath Americans to do. Many Americans like blue collar work and aren't cut out for a white collar job. Many of those jobs use to pay a liveable wage until the illegals came and took them. Many of our youth used to be able to work in restaurants, etc. for spending money and that is no longer available to them either. Why so little concern for our American workforce? Why aren't you pushing for the homelands of these millions of poor immgrants to create an economy whereby they would want to remain in their homelands instead?
Yeah, nobody is saying that Americans can't work construction anymore. I know some white American born guys who are kicking butt in construction right now and charge a premium for it, even during the economic recession. Why is this? Because they do a really excellent job and are able to provide services that other people can't and that allows them to get more contracts and charge a higher price. Maybe these American blue collar types should learn to deal with a little competition. If they suck at what they do they won't survive with or without competition coming from immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2010, 02:44 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
That's weird because I use my Spanish every day, including for my job, and I live in Minnesota. If I lived in Southern California or Chicago I'd probably be using my Spanish even more. I kind of wish I took the time to learn Arabic too because it is heavily used in some Minneapolis neighborhoods. Unfortunatley currently the only Arabic I know is a couple vulgar words Besides that, the US Gov't is constantly looking for people to work as Arabic translators in their efforts in anti-terrorism, etc. so it would likely lead to additional job opportunities.



I fail to understand the correlation between expanding legal immigration and blocking out potential legal immigrants in other countries.



Yeah, nobody is saying that Americans can't work construction anymore. I know some white American born guys who are kicking butt in construction right now and charge a premium for it, even during the economic recession. Why is this? Because they do a really excellent job and are able to provide services that other people can't and that allows them to get more contracts and charge a higher price. Maybe these American blue collar types should learn to deal with a little competition. If they suck at what they do they won't survive with or without competition coming from immigrants.
Or

Immigrants (poor) should learn to deal with a little competition at home. If they suck at what they do they won't survive with or without competition coming from other poor. Fleeing to another Country, stealing identities and jobs will garner them a boatload of hatred. So be it. They asked for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2010, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Or

Immigrants (poor) should learn to deal with a little competition at home. If they suck at what they do they won't survive with or without competition coming from other poor. Fleeing to another Country, stealing identities and jobs will garner them a boatload of hatred. So be it. They asked for it.
It seems like every one of your posts comes from the standpoint of somebody living in their own little fenced in dreamworld, it's laughable. How about you go tell this to a group of poor immigrants and see if they listen to you. Then go tell this to the guys selling micas on the street corner down the street and see if they listen to you and stop selling micas....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2010, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
And with the enactment of the DREAM Act our govt would flood our job market with how many former illegals that have their eye on those jobs that DO require an education and skills?

and AGAIN, it's not immigrants that concern us - it's those here illegally
Let's not flood this with redtape. The same people who are so adamantly against illegal immigration are the same ones who want to severely control/put a stop to legal immigration as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2010, 02:57 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,385,436 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Regarding jobs, the only Americans that need to worry about losing their jobs out to uneducated and unskilled immigrants are those Americans working low-skilled and jobs which don't require an education. they have all the opportunity in the world to get an education or learn a skilled trade.
You're really not very in touch with our economy are you? The economy sucks right now for pretty much all people. But it is true that illegal migrants are lower skilled than most Americans. Tell me why should we import low skilled workers when we already have too many here?

Quote:
If those systems were cleaned out and corrected and everyone had to be documented and could be held accountable alot of those issues wouldn't exist.
Everyone does have to be documented. The problem is that some people believe such laws do not apply to them.

Quote:
Well, because those illegal immigrants would be going through the legal process. Many people forget that the majority of the people who are immigrating illegally are doing so because outside of marrying an American citizen it is physically impossible for them to legally immigrate here. Many of these people would go through the legal process if they could.
Here a thought: if you can't do something legally DON'T DO IT! If Americans collectively decide that we do not need anymore very poor people who do not speak English or have job skills then don't come here. No country (including Mexico which is the country of origin for most illegal migrants) has unlimited immigration. Why should America be the first?

Quote:
It's a shame that you don't see the value in learning additional languages and about other cultures.
It's a shame that some people think that because they've decided to break the law and move here that others are somehow obligated to learn their language.

Bilingualism is admirable. Moving to American without English skills is despicable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2010, 02:58 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
It seems like every one of your posts comes from the standpoint of somebody living in their own little fenced in dreamworld, it's laughable. How about you go tell this to a group of poor immigrants and see if they listen to you. Then go tell this to the guys selling micas on the street corner down the street and see if they listen to you and stop selling micas....
I pay a lot of tax dollars for BP, ICE and LE to remove them. They will listen to ICE. As a matter of fact I bet the criminals scatter when approached. Sorry but your buddies are fair game for removal. Until they get caught they can just hide in the shadow. That will be even more fun once other States pass immigration laws aimed at the criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2010, 03:00 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,385,436 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
It seems like every one of your posts comes from the standpoint of somebody living in their own little fenced in dreamworld, it's laughable. How about you go tell this to a group of poor immigrants and see if they listen to you. Then go tell this to the guys selling micas on the street corner down the street and see if they listen to you and stop selling micas....
If he's here illegally he isn't paying taxes. He's breaking the law. Chances are he doesn't speak English, overcrowds local housing, either overcrowds public transportation or drives without a license and racks up large medical bills at the local emergency room if he gets sick.

He needs to go home. The American taxpayer is not responsible for providing economic opportunities for all the poor people of the world. We are most certainly not responsible for providing for Mexico's underclass because their government wants that from us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2010, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 10,946,003 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Let's not flood this with redtape. The same people who are so adamantly against illegal immigration are the same ones who want to severely control/put a stop to legal immigration as well.
Not true at ALL from what I've seen here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2010, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I pay a lot of tax dollars for BP, ICE and LE to remove them. They will listen to ICE. As a matter of fact I bet the criminals scatter when approached. Sorry but your buddies are fair game for removal. Until they get caught they can just hide in the shadow. That will be even more fun once other States pass immigration laws aimed at the criminals.
Once again I hate to say it but I think you're still in your dreamworld. If you're referring to the Arizona law you're sadly mistaken....go talk to any intelligent attorney and they'll tell you that the Arizona bill has no teeth in its current state...it's nothing more than symbolic at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top