Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 07:38 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,289,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Why would you find it strange that Spanish is being spoken? It's a widely spoken language in this country and those who know it are getting an edge in jobs in all kinds of fields. Just go to Careerbuilder or Monsterjobs and search for jobs with keyword "bilingual" or "Spanish." You'll find tons of results of jobs that prefer a candidate who is bilingual.
It isn't strange for Spanish to be spoken in this country. What is strange is requiring bi-lingual workers for any normal job. As I have said numerous times Hispanic citizens know how to speak English so what is the need to communicate with them in Spanish? The preference for Spanish speaking workers is directly due to the massive numbers of non-English speaking or limited English speakers who are in our country illegally from Mexico and other Spanish speaking countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 07:44 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,322,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It’s sad that so many illegal alien apologists lack compassion or even a modicum of concern for the low-skilled U.S. worker. Don’t they also deserve to have the means to support their families without competing against people who have no right to even be here?
I'm totally on board with the governement creating a stronger E-verify system and requiring all employers to use it for hiring and then effectively enforcing it. That would solve this problem as the VAST majority of illegal immigrants come here to work.

Quote:
You never know what the future may hold. Don’t think you are immune to unemployment simply because you have an education and a decent job. There are millions of skilled and educated citizens who are currently unemployed or underemployed due to our current economy. They probably also felt their jobs were safe. Under dire circumstances, I’m sure they’d be willing to work in a kitchen rather than lose their homes or allow their children to suffer. I simply do not understand the mindset that justifies illegal immigration by belittling U.S. citizens.
First of all, this is mutually exclusive to the issue of uneducated low-skill illegal immigrants...none of those people would take the job I currently have, nor would they be given any job I would potentially seek going forward.

Secondly, there is probably no way I'd make more in a kitchen of a restaurant than I'd be making on unemployment...most unemployed Americans would be on this same boat.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It isn't strange for Spanish to be spoken in this country. What is strange is requiring bi-lingual workers for any normal job. As I have said numerous times Hispanic citizens know how to speak English so what is the need to communicate with them in Spanish? The preference for Spanish speaking workers is directly due to the massive numbers of non-English speaking or limited English speakers who are in our country illegally from Mexico and other Spanish speaking countries.
Well, don't shoot the messenger.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I'm totally on board with the governement creating a stronger E-verify system and requiring all employers to use it for hiring and then effectively enforcing it. That would solve this problem as the VAST majority of illegal immigrants come here to work.

First of all, this is mutually exclusive to the issue of uneducated low-skill illegal immigrants...none of those people would take the job I currently have, nor would they be given any job I would potentially seek going forward.

Secondly, there is probably no way I'd make more in a kitchen of a restaurant than I'd be making on unemployment...most unemployed Americans would be on this same boat.
Well lucky you that an illegal alien can't take your job. However, that isn't the case for American construction workers and some other blue collar workers. I don't know what you do but many white collar jobs are being outsourced also. Hiring cheap foreign labor whether they be in this country or in their own homelands is another thing that is hurting American jobs all in the name of greed.

You're right that most Americans make more in unemployment than working a minimum wage job but there is still no shortage of Americans to do those jobs.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Well lucky you that an illegal alien can't take your job. However, that isn't the case for American construction workers and some other blue collar workers. I don't know what you do but many white collar jobs are being outsourced also. Hiring cheap foreign labor whether they be in this country or in their own homelands is another thing that is hurting American jobs all in the name of greed.

You're right that most Americans make more in unemployment than working a minimum wage job but there is still no shortage of Americans to do those jobs.
Yep, and you're referring to globalization, which is a completely different topic. I just choose to accept these things and learn to deal with them instead of complaining about it while curled up in the fetal position like a lot of Americans seem to be doing these days.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Yep, and you're referring to globalization, which is a completely different topic. I just choose to accept these things and learn to deal with them instead of complaining about it while curled up in the fetal position like a lot of Americans seem to be doing these days.
Well you can have a defeatist attitude if you so choose. To me THAT is what equates to being curled up in a fetal position. I suspect for many that hold your views there is another ulterior agenda and some of these arguments are just smoke and mirrors to hide it. Those of us who want to fight this corruption and greed and protect our sovereign borders from illegal invasion will carry on and use all measures available to us to do so. There are many more of us than you realize.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Those of us who want to fight this corruption and greed and protect our sovereign borders from illegal invasion will carry on and use all measures available to us to do so. There are many more of us than you realize.
Measure huh? What might those be? I hope you're not referring to E-verify or the toothless Arizona law, because neither of those are going to do anything to mitigate the problem.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:40 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,821,367 times
Quote:
Why would you find it strange that Spanish is being spoken? It's a widely spoken language in this country and those who know it are getting an edge in jobs in all kinds of fields. Just go to Careerbuilder or Monsterjobs and search for jobs with keyword "bilingual" or "Spanish." You'll find tons of results of jobs that prefer a candidate who is bilingual.
and yet you claim that it's ONLY the unskilled, uneducated Americans that have to "fear" job loss to illegals? I'd hazard a guess MOST of those jobs you see REQUIRING Spanish are NOT at that level.

While knowing a foreign language is an asset it shouldn't be FORCED on people in order for them to get a job in their OWN country.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
and yet you claim that it's ONLY the unskilled, uneducated Americans that have to "fear" job loss to illegals? I'd hazard a guess MOST of those jobs you see REQUIRING Spanish are NOT at that level.

While knowing a foreign language is an asset it shouldn't be FORCED on people in order for them to get a job in their OWN country.
Before hazarding a guess maybe you should take a look at the available jobs. This isn't rocket science. A bilingual uneducated American is an oxymoron.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:15 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,523,553 times
Quote:
There is some theft of tax dollars when you talk about what's goes on in emergency rooms, etc. but there is also a massive gift of free medicare and social security money and in many cases, state and federal tax dollars that all these people have deducted from their paychecks. Since these people can't file tax returns and verify their ID in the vast majority of cases they never see any of these benefits....the amount of money the government gets from this is massive.
Massive gift? Tell that to the countless citizens whose credit has been ruined because narcissistic illegals are “borrowing” their SSN, not to mention, creating a false tax liability. I can only imagine how blessed they must feel to have the IRS breathing down their necks, emptying their bank accounts, and garnishing their wages.

Let’s not forget the unemployed citizens denied benefits because illegals are using their SSN, thus, state records indicate they are still employed. Or, the patients denied medical coverage because their benefits have been fraudulently exhausted by illegals. The list goes on, but I’m sure in your world, this illegal and unethical behavior can be justified.

The government may receive a massive amount from illegals, but it is but a drop in the bucket compared to the obscene amounts illegals receive in return. The average illegal does not earn enough to pay $15,000 or more in taxes; which, by the way, is the average annual tax burden for each illegal alien child enrolled in our public schools.

What a wonderful “gift.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration