U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 04:48 PM
JD. JD. started this thread

198 posts, read 433,600 times

Advertisements

Some good news on the illegal immigration front:

Link:FOXNews.com - Arizona Governor Signs Law Making It Crime to Hire Illegals - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287955,00.html - broken link)

PHOENIX Beginning in January, employers in Arizona could face having their business licenses suspended or revoked if they get caught hiring illegal immigrants.

A new law signed Monday by Gov. Janet Napolitano created the state crime of hiring illegal immigrants and requires all businesses to verify the employment eligibility of workers through a federal database.

It's intended to remove the economic incentive for immigrants to sneak across the border and help lessen Arizona's role as the busiest illegal gateway into the nation.

The Democratic governor said she signed the bill because the federal government has failed to overhaul the country's broken immigration policies, though she believes the new law contains flaws that should be fixed.

"I signed it, too, out of the realization that the flow of illegal immigration into our state is due to the constant demand of some employers for cheap, undocumented labor," Napolitano wrote in a letter to lawmakers.

The law should have provided exceptions for hospitals, nursing homes and power plants to prevent them from closing as a result of violations, Napolitano said.

It also lacks an anti-discrimination clause to ensure fair enforcement, and its overly broad punishments could lead to the closure of multiple locations of a business based on a violation at a single location, Napolitano said.

Advocates for tougher border enforcement said state punishments were needed becausident of the Arizona Contractors Association, said the state is trying to turn employers into de facto immigration agents and that the new law could have adverse effects on certain businesses, such as car washes and farming operations.

"If it remains in effect (a year from now), then the economic engines of Arizona will come to a slow grind," Jones said.

Last year, Napolitano vetoed an immigration bill that included employer sanctions. She said it would have given amnesty to employers because businesses that heed warnings to stop illegal hirings could have continued operating as if nothing happened.

As the Legislature was crafting this year's employer sanctions bill, advocates for tougher immigration enforcement began an effort to bring a stricter employer sanctions proposal to voters next year.

Under the proposed ballot measure, first-time violators would face the permanent revocation of their business licenses.

Pearce, a leader in the effort to bring such a measure to the ballot, said he and other supporters would likely continue to push as a way to head off attempts at weakening the new law.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step number one in our deportation through attrition goal. I just hope this isn't another law that will be pushed aside by the corporate elite when it's convienient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 05:05 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,004,847 times
I saw this on the news. The governor signed the bill only because it passed with enough votes to override her veto.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:29 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,346,735 times
Quote:
Advocates for tougher border enforcement said state punishments were needed becausident of the Arizona Contractors Association, said the state is trying to turn employers into de facto immigration agents and that the new law could have adverse effects on certain businesses, such as car washes and farming operations.
It's not that big of a deal to do checks on people, we do it at the hospital all the time.

I'm glad to see this bill pass. Now I better get Kansas to do the same thing or we're going to get all of OK's and AZ's illegals

Old 07-03-2007, 05:40 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,376,904 times
Good for Arizona is all I have to say...oh and MORE states should be doing the same thing.

FOR every citizen who agrees, we should each make it our goal to refuse to do business with anyone who hires illegal aliens. AND be vocal about it.

Don't support what you SAY you don't believe in.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:11 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Good for Arizona is all I have to say...oh and MORE states should be doing the same thing.

FOR every citizen who agrees, we should each make it our goal to refuse to do business with anyone who hires illegal aliens. AND be vocal about it.

Don't support what you SAY you don't believe in.
Do not forget to write,call or fax our own Governors too!

Old 07-03-2007, 06:52 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I saw this on the news. The governor signed the bill only because it passed with enough votes to override her veto.
Yep, Nappy Janet is definitely no friend of the pro-LEGAL immigration movement. She's another defiantly open borders politician who was afraid that her own legislature was about to hand her her head on this one.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:20 PM

398 posts, read 1,265,332 times
we need to push local authorities to take similar actions.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:08 PM

186 posts, read 494,045 times
AZ is off to a good start but how are they going to replace those workers? They still have a bottle neck for skilled workers, but of course most illegals are not skilled workers. Example I am a licensed electrician. for me to work in states like TX I need a state license. However TX does not recognize my license from OH, WV, VA, and NC so I will have to pay money which is no problem then take an exam and in 6 months once all the paper work clears I can take it, But I have to be in TX to take that exam. Coming from PA that would be hard. Then what if I fail that exam I have to wait another 3 months to retake it. Some states need to research actions like this before they get all fired up and go buck wild.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:13 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,136,339 times
I doubt that Arizona and other states would have difficulty replacing the workers. There are plenty of displaced workers from LA that still need work along with a hugely bloated welfare roll of folks that could work in kitchens, clean hotel rooms, pick fruit work as landscapers etc. You would be surprised what Americans can do when faced with issues like these. We have a large mass of soon to retire Baby Boomers that will not have enough money to fully retire on. I am sure they will be in line for some of the service jobs. And please, dont go into a "quality of work" debate. I live in one of the tract houses that they spit up. I think it would be nice to import some Danish carpenters for a change.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:13 PM

786 posts, read 4,228,082 times
Just having a new law on the books about illegal immigration will not help unless the Governor actually enforces the law. She will not and it will be ignored just like the federal laws regarding immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or