U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:43 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan k View Post
All good points Macmeal. Now where do we see this country in the future.Well, I see this country going to the same thing that is happening in alot of countries where we are fighting right now, people are going to get fed up and either arrested or there will be alot of bloodshed.
Our next civil war will happen unless we get some people in the government that step up and take our Constitution to heart and stick to what are founding fathers wanted and i dont remember them saying that everyone could come here and make their own ideas and laws, but i do remember the word "assimilate".
Yes Dan, don't know if you've checked my other "rants", but I don't predict the end of the US; what I do predict (say in a few decades) is an increasingly Balkanized nation where life is hard and mean, and where there is no agreed-upon culture and no cultural or ethnic majority- a sort of a diverse collection of various minorities, something on the order of the former Yugoslavia. It will be held together by a sort of grudging truce, and we'll have to tread very carefully to avoid conflicts with our neighbors. Fascinating in a sort of science-fiction way, I suppose, but probably won't be much fun to live in day-to-day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 08:25 PM

105 posts, read 291,015 times
Well sir you are alot like me, ive got a real problem with this immigration garbage and have stated it in many of my rants also.I want our leaders to stand up just once for our country and quit helping all these other countries that mean nothing to us.Alot of the time i get a little too carried away but i just hate seeing what has happened to the U.S.A, our kids dont know what they missed and if i was thinking about having kids , i would no longer bring a child into this.
I also wrote a post in "where do you see the us in 2057", i see this country and most of the world being real close to the movie"Mad Max'.We will fight for food, water, gas, clothes and anything else you can think of.We are headed somewhere that i dont want to be around for!Sorry, i ramble everytime i post

Old 07-09-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan k View Post
Well sir you are alot like me, ive got a real problem with this immigration garbage and have stated it in many of my rants also.I want our leaders to stand up just once for our country and quit helping all these other countries that mean nothing to us.Alot of the time i get a little too carried away but i just hate seeing what has happened to the U.S.A, our kids dont know what they missed and if i was thinking about having kids , i would no longer bring a child into this.
I also wrote a post in "where do you see the us in 2057", i see this country and most of the world being real close to the movie"Mad Max'.We will fight for food, water, gas, clothes and anything else you can think of.We are headed somewhere that i dont want to be around for!Sorry, i ramble everytime i post
From one rambler to another, you are excused. I too have tendency to get a little "wordy" at times. I guess it's because we both have a lot to say!

Old 07-09-2007, 09:20 PM

5 posts, read 16,636 times
Default Assimilation

er.....I honestly believe some people are missing the point here.
As a Southern California native whose parents lands were within spitting distance of Tecate, I think I know why there is no assimiliation.
If you sneak into a country, you have feelings or loyalty to that country. If you don't speak the language you cannot begin to understand the country you are in.
If the benefits are handed to you, then you have no concept of earning rights or benefits, or even thoughts of staying in the country you have snuck into.
I remember yelling at one illegal woman in Spanish, "you are a parasite!" because she was recounting all the benefits she was receiving while breaking the laws of my country: housing, clothing, food, medical and dental benefits, education for herself and her children. "Que suerte." '-what luck,' she replied, with no remorse whatsoever.
At the time my best friend Concha, who was also an illegal "alien" and I both agreed that this "flojera"..-lazyone-was milking our system beyond repair. This woman was a parasite, a con artista, and she was a horrible mother, a lazy worker, a drug addict, and an idiot, and one year she was featured on the front page of our newspaper, showing her receiving goods and services from well-meaning and generous American idiots. We both had a good laugh, because we both knew her true nature.
OK. Here's the truth! Illegals do not want to assimilate because they are Mexicans! hahaha.
Is that so hard to understand?
I have personally known thousands of illegals. Our lands were fertile and noted on some sort of universal ancient "wet back" map of travel tips, as a place to visit for food or water or some work. Our family's backdoor was always opening to an exhausted, dusty, brown face. Never was anyone turned away without a chance for survival. My father even got in trouble for giving a few of the workers a ride to Escondido ages ago. That was when there were but a trickle of illegals coming into California.
Now there is a TIDAL wave of illegals entering our country, which will destroy this country because they will never be Americans! Not in their hearts or minds! I am not talking about the few who really do want to become Americans.
My best friend Concha came and lived with me for 9 years. I insisted she learn English, and two years later I was speaking fluent Spanish!
Bele was 25 and worked a few years, saved her money and built five small houses in Mexico to rent. The illegals live really poorly here so they can send all their money to Mexico. Or, they bring all their kids here, so they can go to school.
We need to cut all benefits, medical, dental, educational, and citizenship benefits to illegals, and immediately jail them if we truly want them to stop flooding into our country. period. We need to deport all illegal people from our country. President Bush is insane with his plan.
Or, all the illegals who have been here for awhile, should be allowed to perhaps stay here with a guest and tax card and to labor for a few years to EARN, citizenship, and fix our roads and bridges. No one born in the USA should be an automatic citizen! If someone pays or earns something, then that something has value and is cherished. If one sneaks and uses and lies and steals resources, then one has no loyalty, and their children and children's children will have no loyalty. Why is this so hard to understand? Then we have the stupid million illegals march in L.A. where people who are criminals voiced their rights? What?!
As a California native whose parents were heroes in WW Two, and legal immigrants, and as someone who has watched the trickle in California, become a tsunami over the last 50 years, I know this is the only solution. As a kid of eight years, I had bad Mexicans hold knives up to my jugular vein and threaten to kill me. Just a few bad apples. In California these bad apples are now in the five and six figures. It is hurting my country and state.
For the illegals it is, "QUE SUERTE," but for the American who is really an American, it is a disaster which will bring down our country. There is no loyalty in the illegals, nor is there any wish or heart to become an American.
This is what I have seen every dayaround me, for the past 50 years.
I lived in Mexico for a year. I know I would never consider it my home either. I had to pay for everything. I also know perhaps, if I went to a country where I had all the benefits, I would stay there, but I would not have my heart or allegiance or soul there.
We need to get real in this country, or this country will not survive! Also, I don't want to hear about Mexicans doing jobs Americans would not do. B.S.! Before the Mexicans laborers, those jobs were held by poor Americans! Remember Grapes of Wrath?
I have seen Mexican illegals give our kids and our working poor a hard time in "their" jobs and drive them out. They were bullies. That is one myth that needs to go, and so do they! This is OUR COUNTRY! Their country is rich in resources. They need to stay in their country. We need a Great Wall!
In this past year, after the illegal million criminal march in L.A., I have been subject, as an older white woman living in San Diego, to many racist remarks and actions. At first I thought it was just my imagination. As the incidences became more blatant, I have become more vocal. I can speak Spanish, and that is why I was finally unable to look the other way as the rascist actions by illegals escalated.
How dare people who break our laws believe they have any rights?
Tell me how in their wildest of pea brains do they even conceive of being allowed to continue to break our laws?
g.g. schaumburg

Old 07-10-2007, 08:08 AM

12,925 posts, read 24,048,548 times
Solution to 3 problems:

1. Dig a moat along the US/Mexican Border
2. Use the dirt from the moat to shore up New Orleans levees
3. Fill the moat with all those nasty alligators wrecking havoc in Florida

Just trying to lighten the thread up....I very much agree with what most have posted

Old 07-10-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Definition of Terms

Geeegee, your frustration is understandable. Like you, I have deep roots in California, and family ties with the Hispanic community. Like you, I have some fluency in Spanish. The problem will never be solved as long as we can't even politely address it. THe immigration problem is a legal and cultural issue, not a racial one.
If you favor the slowing-down or "turning around" of the massive flow of illegals, will you find yourself in the company of white racists? Of COURSE you will! White racists are very much in favor of stopping illegal immigration; that's beyond discussion. White racists are also, no doubt, in favor of indoor plumbing, electric lights, low-fat food, and regular showers. Does this mean that these are also "racist" concepts. Of COURSE not! What nonsense!..yet that is the sort of thinking of those who make immigration a racial issue.
In our massive societal upheaval back in the 60's (my teenage years) we were so determined to put behind us our shameful history of racial segregation that we found it impossible to even calmly discuss any situation even remotely connected with "race".
Is the problem of illegal immigration a racial issue? No, it is not- it's a legal issue, compounded by vast cultural differences. Does the conflict attract the attention of racists? Certainly it does- I'm sure the KKK has strong feelings about this. So do many other racist groups, such as MEChA. After all "Viva la Raza" certainly isn't a very inclusive slogan. These groups also, no doubt, have feelings about global warming, the price of gas, and police accountability. This does not make these things "racial" issues. The problem will never be solved until all of us (of all races) in this country can at least BRING UP the subject without inciting hysteria.
Honestly ask yourself this..would this huge conflict be going on if the arriving illegals were from Germany or France? Of course not. We'd all simply sit down, discuss the matter calmly, decide what course of action to take, and probably put the whole thing behind us in six months. It would be addressed as a legal issue, calmly and without hysteria....

Last edited by macmeal; 07-10-2007 at 09:41 AM..

Old 07-10-2007, 03:28 PM

105 posts, read 291,015 times
I like your ideas njkate. Honestly, i still think if people want to be citizens here they can be drafted into our armed forces for 2 years.Then once their tour is up then they may bring their wife and kids into the country with the understanding that they do assimilate to the full letter of the constitution and not just what they want.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:16 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,775,631 times
macmeal and geeegee make some very good points I haven't read elsewhere. I too grew up with a lot of people who described themselves as 'Tex-Mex' and their parents would not allow them to speak Spanish. Now the kids can even take all their tests in Spanish until high school - so - then they drop out.

Tidal wave and tsunami is a good description. People who aren't affected just don't understand the vast numbers. I don't care if they were coming from Sweden, 20 million people and their numerous offspring cause trouble.

Try TV or the Radio -- you have to try to find a station in English. Why would Mexicans ever need to learn English?

Yep it seems ok for them to call Anglos 'gringos' and 'gabachos' - they are laughing at how stupid we are. And what is the deal these days - every time I pass someone or a group of what appear to be illegals they stare at you with some sort of burning laser vision...

Old 10-26-2008, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 12,467 times
Angry They need to go back to their superior, beloved cultures

Oh oh, now you got me going.

IMO, much (not all) of what is wrong with our country is a result of allowing anyone and everyone to move in & maintain their own culture, while they collect welfare, social security, etc., etc., etc., all the while desperately clinging to their "cultures" and language - in short, refusing to assimilate.

This is America, folks. Our language is English. Our businesses do not give numerous "prayer breaks" a day.

To all immigrants living here, collecting welfare or trying to collect welfare, while clinging tightly to their cultures I say:

If where you came from and how you lived is so great, why did you leave it and why not go back, where you'll fit in? Because you do not fit in here, dressed in your native garb, speaking your native languages out in public and making demands of employers, to accommodate your native customs.

I've heard about all the moaning I can stand to hear about Americans not accepting immigrants and about the woes and mental problems of immigrants, due to them now dealing with a different culture.

And I've heard all the stories I can stand to hear from county financial workers who have to deal - daily - with immigrants who show up regularly, looking for any kind of a government handout they can get. I hear some of them go back over and over and over, argue and become nasty and insulting, when they are advised they do not qualify for assistance - or for as much assistance as they think they should be given. I'm told some of them get nasty and insulting.

I hate to generalize, but I've seen too many immigrants who are only here for the government handouts, not because they love or respect America and not because they want to become Americans.

Possibly if they made an effort to learn the language, act like Americans, dress like Americans work hard like the majority of Americans do, they would notice a difference in "acceptance". I personally have no time for the ones who won't assimilate and I do not believe it is my responsiblity to support them financially, through the high taxes I pay.

I don't see where I owe these people a darn thing!

Old 10-26-2008, 04:45 PM

1,435 posts, read 3,505,889 times
Illegals have brought more alot more cons than pros to this country. Can anybody here name just one city/state in this country that has a very large illegal population and at the same time is still able to maintain a very low crime/murder rate ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or