U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 PM
 
25 posts, read 39,817 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

so what's your point? people who come to the US need to assimilate, bottom line, learn to speak, read, and write english.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-27-2008, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Chicago metro
3,375 posts, read 7,048,108 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea boy View Post
so what's your point? people who come to the US need to assimilate, bottom line, learn to speak, read, and write english.
My point is English is not the official language, so therefore you can't make people speak it in public.They don't call America the melting pot for nothing. And why you trying to get at spanish speakers so bad? There are other people in other ethnic/race groups that don't know english. And beside, some states have two dominant languages by law like Hawaii for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 03:56 PM
 
25 posts, read 39,817 times
Reputation: 13
because in california everything is translated in to spanish. why? because the illegals can't speak english. jobs are taken by low income illegals, and the legal resident pay for their illegalities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
English is the dominant language, but it was never declared as the official language, look it up yourself. Spanish been in this country for a long time. At one time, Hispanics and other spanish speakers was not allowed to speak spanish in public. Spanish is just one of the many languages in this country that make America such a melting pot. Btw, English was influence by many several languages including spanish, so basically English is a mutt.
Did I say that English was the 'official language'? Never mind it should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Chicago metro
3,375 posts, read 7,048,108 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea boy View Post
because in california everything is translated in to spanish. why? because the illegals can't speak english. jobs are taken by low income illegals, and the legal resident pay for their illegalities.
What city do you live in ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
My point is English is not the official language, so therefore you can't make people speak it in public.They don't call America the melting pot for nothing. And why you trying to get at spanish speakers so bad? There are other people in other ethnic/race groups that don't know english. And beside, some states have two dominant languages by law like Hawaii for example.
I have no problem with making illegal immigrant speakers of any language look bad Maybe if they were truly made to feel unwelcome here---------they would self deport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 04:07 PM
 
25 posts, read 39,817 times
Reputation: 13
i live sf bay area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Chicago metro
3,375 posts, read 7,048,108 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I have no problem with making illegal immigrant speakers of any language look bad Maybe if they were truly made to feel unwelcome here---------they would self deport.
Just accept the fact Spanish isn't going anywhere. America is a melting pot and spanish is just one of the many languages spoken in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Chicago metro
3,375 posts, read 7,048,108 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea boy View Post
i live sf bay area.
If I'm not mistake, Sf bay area have more people speaking a Asian language( like Chinese, Tagalog, Japanese) than spanish speakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 04:13 PM
 
25 posts, read 39,817 times
Reputation: 13
i'll accept it if your accept that immigrants, illegal or not, should assimilate into the american culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top