U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 10:21 AM
JD. JD. started this thread

198 posts, read 434,115 times

Advertisements

Happy 231st Birthday America!

The following article from Michelle Malkin in the New York Post (she has been great through this amnesty debacle) raises some interesting points about all those open-border supporters and a historical reference. If you don't read her blog, you should! Link: Michelle Malkin

Link to Article: A NATION OF LAWS | By MICHELLE MALKIN | Opinions | Scott Stringer | Adam Brodsky

July 4, 2007 -- AMNESTY is dead. Now, let's talk about the other "A" word. It's the word and the concept completely abandoned during the immigration debate: assimilation.

Over the last year, hundreds of thousands of illegal-alien demonstrators took to the streets lobbying for amnesty. Marchers waved "Amnestia Ahora!" placards in one hand, the flags of their native countries in the other. Open-borders strategists quickly replaced the foreign flags with Old Glory after militant activists caused a public backlash last year. National newspapers played dutiful propagandists and splashed patriotic photo-ops of the "undocumented" masses wrapped in red, white and blue to drum up sympathy.

But now that they've lost their amnesty fight, will they still embrace American symbols and traditions? Or was it all for show? And what of all that talk of illegal aliens being willing to study citizenship and civics? And take English classes? Why must they be bribed with the promise of a temporary guest-worker visa and mass governmental pardon in order to adapt to our way of life? When did assimilation become the means and not an end in itself?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a great 4th of July, and remember what makes this U.S. of A great.

Last edited by Yac; 07-06-2007 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: copyright protection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 11:50 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,717,538 times
Why do illegals refuse to assimilate?
IMO, assimilation into US society is a goal that should be reserved for those who come here legally, the people who have followed the rules, played fair and have a strong desire to become a US citizen. I have always questioned the wisdom of encouraging the assimilation of millions of illegal aliens who have flouted our immigration laws with impunity, shown disdain for our country and flag, stolen benefits intended for US citizens and displayed an overwhelming attitude of entitlement- this idea that we 'owe' them, all this coupled with the idea that some our rules imply do not apply to them. Why seek to assimilate such people? I have no desire to see any of them 'assimlate' and would simply like to see them returned to their home countries.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:55 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,699,621 times
Default Why we fight.....

Old 07-04-2007, 12:56 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,011,932 times
Illegals refuse to assimilate because they don't want to become Americans. The put on a good show when they have TV cameras around, but make no mistake, they do not want to become Americans. They like to have their mouthpieces spout off about how they want to become part of the American dream, but in reality all they really want is to physically take over the entire southwest and make it part of Mexico.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:42 PM

398 posts, read 1,266,982 times
DANGER! YOU NEED TO KNOW SOMETHING ELSE.

Not only illegals are those who do not wnt to assimilate. A very big portion of LEGAL immigrants from south, central america and caribbean, REFUSE to assimilate into the American culture. ANd bottom line why is the reaosn for that?? simple. Because non of them, legal or illegal, came here dreaming to be Americans. They just came here because they need some money for their fmilies and willing to go back to their countries "when things improve" of course that never happens, and they stay here creating their own underworld and of course doing their best to impose it and erase American culture from their space.

Legal or illegal, unfortunatelly are similar prototypes inside. The only single difference between them is that one of them was able to stay here with assylum or special adjustement and the other didn't have an option to stay here legally. Either way, IT IS WRONG. We don;t need that type of people here. America love it or leave it. And I might take you out of here by mylsef if you don't unconditionally love this country.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:16 AM

12,949 posts, read 24,117,034 times
I read that yesterday. I like Michelle and her writing.
I too am weary weary of that dreaded word....diversity.....what that means to me is I have to put up with somebody else's baggage from another country....you want to be here assimilate!!! As i would do if I moved to another country....

Old 07-06-2007, 11:08 AM
JD. JD. started this thread

198 posts, read 434,115 times
Nice picture, Kele, almost laughable if it wasn't so serious.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:43 PM

105 posts, read 291,511 times
Default Alot of smart Americans on this site

Each and everyone of you that has posted on this thread has all made very good points. The one thing that everyone is missing is that over the years our leaders in government have decided to let our country that was once proud and looked up to , slowly fall apart.Oh dont get me wrong, they arent afraid to send our troops to some stupid country and force our our government on them and try to make our laws work there but they are afraid to stand up to a people that dont have a means to fight back.
They are not even a force to be reckoned with but a bunch of starving, pissed off people that dont have the guts to stand up for their rights in their own country but will come to the United States and destroy what our forefathers fought the British so hard to protect, "Our Way Of Life'.
Until we get someone into office with some balls we will never keep these people from turning our beautiful country into a waste of space like they did in Mexico. They need to assimilate or get out, and when i say assimilate, i mean assimilate to our whole way of life and not just put on a show.If you want to be an American, fine but act like one all the time and not just when you are being watched.I am a proud American and they are proud Mexicans, i would die for my country and they would not thats why they ran here because they are to scared of dying for Mexico.What makes anyone think they would die for America if they wont fight for Mexico.
WHY WONT OUR LEADERS STEP UP

Old 07-09-2007, 08:00 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,633,512 times
Default The Big Picture

I have written several long-winded rants on this (you can check my "other posts" if you wish)- It is all a perfectly predictable result of a cultural collapse. These folks are acting this way, quite simply, because we have allowed it. We are slowly smothering under a crushing load of guilt and political correctness and have lost our objectivity. Our "niceness" makes it impossible to take a firm stand on any issue; the immigration debacle is one symptom. We are quite literally witnessing the end of a great culture. We will know more in the coming years, but you can be sure we're in for some MAJOR changes.....hate to think of it, but it's our fault...anyone who won't "speak up" for himself gets little sympathy from the world out there......
From another angle, it's also our modrn permissive society which is reluctant to "demand" anything of people. When diverse immgrants arrive in past generations, life was tough. They were teased, made fun of, and otherwise "bullied" into dropping their old-country habits. Some never succeeded, but their children did. It was very much akin to the tradition of "hazing"- the new guy got "roughed-up" as part of his "initiation"- very common in a vast array of organizations of all sorts. Once through this "test" period, he became a "member".
All this is gone now. Modern liberal thinking holds that no one should be made to feel uncomfortable; thus, no more "hazing" and no "pushing" people to assimilate. One more factor is simple logistics. I've known and conversed with quite a number of illegals who would love to learn English. But working a 9-hour day at hard outdoor work can sap the dtermination out of anyone to sit through a night-time ESL class. If the person works among a nearly exclusively Spanish-speaking crew, it's very easy to say "to hell with it". Foreign languages are very difficult to learn as an adult, and English is one of the more tricky ones, I'm told....language ability is something like musical ability-some individuals are able to "get it" easily; other folks are never able to pick it up with any fluency.
The average immigrant I've known, as I said, would like to learn English, (Spanish TV and radio are heavy with "Learn English" ads)- but the sheer numbers of immigrants around here make it possible to live reasonably well without ever using English....

Last edited by macmeal; 07-09-2007 at 08:37 PM..

Old 07-09-2007, 08:23 PM

105 posts, read 291,511 times
All good points Macmeal. Now where do we see this country in the future.Well, I see this country going to the same thing that is happening in alot of countries where we are fighting right now, people are going to get fed up and either arrested or there will be alot of bloodshed.
Our next civil war will happen unless we get some people in the government that step up and take our Constitution to heart and stick to what are founding fathers wanted and i dont remember them saying that everyone could come here and make their own ideas and laws, but i do remember the word "assimilate".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or