U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:41 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Oh come on now. Do you think we all have short memories? You think these lawbreakers should be given amnesty or CIR, don't you? Rewarding lawlessness is the same as advocating for it. I am not going to dig up all the posts where you have belittled our immigration laws, you know they are there.
you do have short term memory loss if you think I have ever advocated amnesty. I have always stated on this form that I DO NOT advocate amnesty.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:41 PM

2,847 posts, read 1,850,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
you do have short term memory loss if you think I have ever advocated amnesty. I have always stated on this form that I DO NOT advocate amnesty.

then exactly what is it that you do advocate

Old 10-21-2010, 04:01 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
He won't answer. Someone asked him just that recently and he never replied. Note that in my post I mentioned both amnesty and CIR and he only denied the amnesty part of it. He didn't deny that he constantly belittles our immigration laws either. I could go on but we have all read his comments in regards to illegal immigration and have been able to form a pretty much unified opinion of what his views are on our immigration laws and our right to enforce them.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
I have...many times.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
He won't answer. Someone asked him just that recently and he never replied. Note that in my post I mentioned both amnesty and CIR and he only denied the amnesty part of it. He didn't deny that he constantly belittles our immigration laws either. I could go on but we have all read his comments in regards to illegal immigration and have been able to form a pretty much unified opinion of what his views are on our immigration laws and our right to enforce them.
I dont seem to ever have belittled any immigration laws. If your speaking of the SB1070 legislation and that debacle...the jury is still out on that legislation.

I remind you that the only provisions that are law in Arizona are the "Anti- Day Labor" law, the "You cant pick up a illegal alien and give a ride" law, and the "Lose your car...if you give a illegal alien a ride" law. Those are fine laws for the People of Arizona. I wouldn't quite call them Immigration Law, but so be it.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I dont seem to ever have belittled any immigration laws. If your speaking of the SB1070 legislation and that debacle...the jury is still out on that legislation.

I remind you that the only provisions that are law in Arizona are the "Anti- Day Labor" law, the "You cant pick up a illegal alien and give a ride" law, and the "Lose your car...if you give a illegal alien a ride" law. Those are fine laws for the People of Arizona. I wouldn't quite call them Immigration Law, but so be it.
I wasn't just referring to the Arizona law. You seem to object to our federal immigration laws and our right to enforce those also.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I have...many times.
Please refresh our minds then. We must have all misunderstood what you advocate for in regards to illegal immigration.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:31 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Hmmm I kind of thought that this thread was about Militia's.
When would a civilian Militia be of value in reference to the problems on the Southern Border?
As evidenced by the colossal failure to secure the border in any meaningful way 1 can argue that any deterrent at this point is justified.
Now say there was a local Militia that was well trained and deputized to respond in the event of a citizen in trouble or under attack by illegals/drug smugglers crossing the border? That would be a handy tool for law enforcement. We have volunteer fire departments, we have neighborhood watch groups etc. Why not a volunteer militia? The fed has already thrown in the towel. Local cops claim to be under manned and out gunned.
Who would be acceptable as a member of this Militia?
1. Combat experience would be a plus.
2. Clean criminal record.( A must)
3. Law enforcement background a plus.
4. Able to shoot 2 inch or less groups at 100 meters with a rifle.
5. 3 inch or less groups with a side arm at 25 meters. ( This would disqualify most local cops)
6. Own their own legally regestered fire arms.
7. Strong leadership and a constitution that does not violate local state or federal laws.
In other words good reliable people.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:05 PM

9,185 posts, read 10,131,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Hmmm I kind of thought that this thread was about Militia's.
When would a civilian Militia be of value in reference to the problems on the Southern Border?
As evidenced by the colossal failure to secure the border in any meaningful way 1 can argue that any deterrent at this point is justified.
Now say there was a local Militia that was well trained and deputized to respond in the event of a citizen in trouble or under attack by illegals/drug smugglers crossing the border? That would be a handy tool for law enforcement. We have volunteer fire departments, we have neighborhood watch groups etc. Why not a volunteer militia? The fed has already thrown in the towel. Local cops claim to be under manned and out gunned.
Who would be acceptable as a member of this Militia?
1. Combat experience would be a plus.
2. Clean criminal record.( A must)
3. Law enforcement background a plus.
4. Able to shoot 2 inch or less groups at 100 meters with a rifle.
5. 3 inch or less groups with a side arm at 25 meters. ( This would disqualify most local cops)
6. Own their own legally regestered fire arms.
7. Strong leadership and a constitution that does not violate local state or federal laws.
In other words good reliable people.
A militia run by the government would be like anything else run by the government. Consider government schools.

A militia or vigilante group (we can consider them very similar) exists because lawful authority has failed. They do not always obey every regulation, particularly when a regulation aids criminals. You may make an argument against this practice. The argument may be valid; but it ignores what a militia is at this time in the US.

As far as registering guns, people would sure be out of luck in Wyoming. State law absolutely prohibits gun registration by any governmental entity.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:15 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
A militia run by the government would be like anything else run by the government. Consider government schools.

A militia or vigilante group (we can consider them very similar) exists because lawful authority has failed. They do not always obey every regulation, particularly when a regulation aids criminals. You may make an argument against this practice. The argument may be valid; but it ignores what a militia is at this time in the US.

As far as registering guns, people would sure be out of luck in Wyoming. State law absolutely prohibits gun registration by any governmental entity.
Never said run by the gov. I said deputized. There is a difference.
I agree with you completely in your second paragraph
Registered guns . ie bought legally. Do I want to associate with people caring illegals guns? Possibly stolen guns? No because I don't want that kind of attention.
Born in wyoming and most of my family is still in Wyoming. They don't have an issue with buying their guns legally. If you want a Militia to ve viewed as anything less than a bunch of gun nuts you have start out by enlisting respectable, stable people. If a shooting occurs their word will go much farther than Randy sixpacks who also has felony convictions for other gun violations. It would also help if the shooter involved were shooting a lawful weapon.
In my mind what gives most Militias the bad name is that they also allow criminals and extremists to join. Guys with no military experience running around in cammo playing weekend warrior who have never fired a shot in battle but call themselves generals. How did they get the rank? Well they were one of the first 3 to join and they meet in his garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration