Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 05:51 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times

Advertisements

While this is some good news......one thing mentioned in the article begs the question - why is the spin always that these illegals never seem to have a CHOICE to NOT do something illegal?

Quote:
Georgia's public colleges actually require unlawful U.S. residents to lie on their college applications in order to have any chance of gaining entry
Kinda like where if you want to VOTE but you're illegal you have NO CHOICE but to lie and say you're a USC - mhmmmm

Regents Ban Illegal Immigrants From University Of Georgia, Georgia Tech
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 06:08 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
The citizens of the State voted to deny undocumented aliens the privilege to attend Georgia State Public Universities and Colleges.

Wait a minute...It is a committee appointed by the Board of regents that is proposing legislation for the Universities.

sorry, I thought the citizens had already voted...Never mind.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:43 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
From the article:

Quote:
The new ruling gives admissions favor to Georgia residents. According to the Journal-Constitution, the regents ruled that illegal immigrants should not be able to enroll at any college "that has rejected academically qualified applicants for the past two academic years because of a lack of space or other issues."
Oh, really? It took them this long to realize that what they were doing was wrong and not supportive of those legally here, particularly US citizens who were born and raised here. All states should do this and it should be a federal offense to get admitted to a US college and university as an undocumented person.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:38 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
1) They don't have to lie. The way it is worded an illegal qualifies as a nonresident alien.

Nonresident alien: A person who is not a citizen or national of the U.S. and who is in this country on a visa or temporary basis and does not have the right to remain indefinitely;

2) The school is not banning illegals - it's just putting the at the end of the line with low odds of admission:
illegal immigrants should not be able to enroll at any college "that has rejected academically qualified applicants for the past two academic years because of a lack of space or other issues."

3) According to the article: "University of Georgia's freshman class has not a single undocumented student". So they are banning something that is not an issue.

Wow. Way to take a stand regents - or at least appear to take a stand.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
1) They don't have to lie. The way it is worded an illegal qualifies as a nonresident alien.

Nonresident alien: A person who is not a citizen or national of the U.S. and who is in this country on a visa or temporary basis and does not have the right to remain indefinitely;

2) The school is not banning illegals - it's just putting the at the end of the line with low odds of admission:
illegal immigrants should not be able to enroll at any college "that has rejected academically qualified applicants for the past two academic years because of a lack of space or other issues."

3) According to the article: "University of Georgia's freshman class has not a single undocumented student". So they are banning something that is not an issue.

Wow. Way to take a stand regents - or at least appear to take a stand.
If they are here illegally they have NO visa or any LEGAL right to be here - so that's a blatant LIE - twist it however you want.

The same way they LIE on affadavits to get a DL without a SSN by swearing they are "waiting on a SSN"

Old 10-14-2010, 07:30 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
I'll stand by what I said. The way it is worded an illegal meets the university's definition of non-resident alien - even though they do not meet the legal definition of non-resident alien. The university worded their definition to make it ambiguous, create a loophole, and let them look the other way.

Nonresident alien: A person who is not a citizen or national of the U.S. and who is in this country on (1) a visa or (2) temporary basis and does not have the right to remain indefinitely;

Old 10-14-2010, 03:00 PM

Oh sure, they're not telling a LIE by claiming they either have a visa or are here TEMPORARILY...........

Suit yourself, seems you can twist and squirm to make any lie by an illegal "okay" by you.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:04 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
While this is some good news......one thing mentioned in the article begs the question - why is the spin always that these illegals never seem to have a CHOICE to NOT do something illegal?

Kinda like where if you want to VOTE but you're illegal you have NO CHOICE but to lie and say you're a USC - mhmmmm

Regents Ban Illegal Immigrants From University Of Georgia, Georgia Tech
Check out my post in the Atlanta, GA room on this topic. I am beating my head against the wall arguing with all the pro-illegal types in there. Seems as if NO ONE is in favor of this except me if you look at the postings.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:28 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Check out my post in the Atlanta, GA room on this topic. I am beating my head against the wall arguing with all the pro-illegal types in there. Seems as if NO ONE is in favor of this except me if you look at the postings.
Sounds like you need help convinceing other Geogians...how can a texan convince the very people it affects the most?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration