U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 10:53 PM

6,717 posts, read 11,166,301 times

Advertisements

Anyone else in the same boat? I've been frequently referred to as a hypocrite for my staunch stance against illegal immigration since I'm an immigrant myself. A legal immigrant. My family and I worked very hard to establish ourselves in the country and eventually became US citizens through efforts spanning decades.

To me, illegal immigrants are cheating the system. It's like if someone cut in line 1000 places ahead of you, gets caught, and then expects the system to treat them leniently...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 11:28 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,944,131 times
Not a citizen yet, legal migrant working on the next step. Yep, been told I'm a hypocrite too - apparently even though I did it all the legal way and jumped through the hoops and paid the fees etc I am somehow supposed to feel a "connection" with this invasion of epic proportions.

Lord knows why because I'm vehemently opposed to illegal immgration and I wish to &^%$ the govt would start enforcing the laws we're expected to abide by.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:46 AM

3,493 posts, read 2,385,153 times
That's silly. You migrated here legally. You followed all necessary immigration steps. You paid all necessary fees. You took a binding oath to demonstrate loyalty to America. You obey our laws. Why shouldn't you be mad at those who don't?

Old 10-14-2010, 06:51 AM

17,279 posts, read 24,961,305 times
Criticism of you stems from people's ignorance and miseducation.

In a world where the media is often afraid to refer to illegals as illegals (around here, the popular term is "migrants"... "30 migrants were picked up by the coast guard off the coast of Boca Raton today."), it's not surprising. Or, it's illegals and their families (or ethnic sympathizers) who want to make you feel guilty. You should never let them.

My father is a legal immigrant. The majority of my father's side of the family are legal immigrants, and half of them made a lot of sacrifices to get here. I am against illegal immigration.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:42 AM

11,287 posts, read 16,808,067 times
Good friend of mine came here legally from Ecuador back in the early 70s. Learned English, procured an education, and now is the happy suburban father of two while working in computers.

He despises all illegals. Says he came here the legal way and that's all there is to it.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:48 AM

25,060 posts, read 22,101,322 times
All legal immigrations should despise illegals because after all, Ragnakar, Opyelie, both of you paid vast sums of money just to keep up on the paperwork and be up to date on your status, it's not fair that both of you have to pay fees well in excess of $1000 just to live here while the illegals get a free lunch and loads of benefits that greatly exceed their income. I hate it when the hispandering latinos in this country bash on other latinos who are against illegal immigration. I've always been against illegal immigration and I've always wanted a huge wall to be erected between the US and Mexico and to dramatically cut down on the number of visas we hand out to people from 3rd world nations (including India)

Old 10-14-2010, 10:27 AM

13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
I think the most important aspect of legal immigration is that the nation requires sufficient information about the candidate and can decline a potential immigrant if they find a reason to deny passage to the US (i.e. the petitioner has a criminal background or a communicable disease). That vetting process cannot be applied to the interlopers who sneak into the country like thieves in the night. The one who sneaks in with no rights, no valid ID - well, that person can just make up a name (or several) and shape shift their way across the US, wreaking havoc along the way with not a care for any US citizen they may trample down by way of infection, violent crime, DUI, child abduction, etc. Then, like Loera, when the heat is on, they can scamper back to their home country UNOBSTRUCTED, UNCHECKED and try to hide out from facing charges like murder.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:03 PM

531 posts, read 1,171,173 times
Where did you come from?

I came here legally and I don't illegal immigrants. I met a few and most of them are great people who just want an opportunity in life to succeed.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:09 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Where did you come from?

I came here legally and I don't illegal immigrants. I met a few and most of them are great people who just want an opportunity in life to succeed.
Doesn't matter how great they are in your eyes. They have violated our immigration laws and I question the morals of those who try to succeed by lawbreaking.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:20 AM

1,011 posts, read 845,918 times
I am a legal immigrant. I waited in consulate and INS lines from 5 o'clock, I've paid fees to INS (above 500 dollars initially), I followed all the laws.

Why can't these "great people that just want to work" follow the laws of the country they prefer to their native country? Lazy, arrogant, stupid?

Surely they are escaping their native Mexico which is a corrupt violent dump (otherwise why escape to the North?), in favor of a better culture and country - the US.

I have a science degree, and I have worked in the CA biotech industry for over 12 years, paid taxes, SS, contributed to charities, learned English, customs, don't try to impose my cultural traits on my adopted country (the US)

I DO make real effort to integrate and just be American citizen.

And ... IT PISSES ME OFF TO NO END THAT just because these Mexican nationals can physically cross the border due to the luck of their native land being so close to the US border, and dispense with all that 'formality' I had to go through, and [they do] not even pay taxes...?

Last edited by wellyouknow; 10-21-2010 at 02:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or