U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2010, 07:07 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,002,870 times
Reputation: 2199

Advertisements

Why do we have sanctuary cities when we have Federal law against illegal immigration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2010, 07:38 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,002,692 times
Reputation: 22124
Because when Arizona made laws that are the same as Federal laws, the Obama administration went after that state with a vengence but when states make their own pro-drug laws and pro-illegal immigration laws, even aiding and abetting, it's okay.

The Chief Executive has a duty to see that Federal law is carried out but this one and the one before him didn't believe in doing their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2010, 08:53 AM
 
25,060 posts, read 21,722,980 times
Reputation: 11569
Because immigrants historically have had a Democrat-bias and most cities are monopolized politically by the Democratic Party. So to pander for the immigrant vote, they pass laws that says the local police cannot inquire about anyone's legal status and must not arrest the illegal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2010, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,651,223 times
Reputation: 3026
Agreed. In addition, sanctuary policies support the amnesty agenda, and assist the government in protecting illegals prior to their so-called path to citizenship. By and large, it’s the same reason our immigration laws are not being enforced at the federal level. If the Feds were serious about enforcing our laws, our borders would be secure, and illegals would be afraid to be exposed. They certainly wouldn’t have sit-ins outside Congressional offices demanding legalization. The increase in deportations of “criminal” illegals is nothing but window dressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2010, 12:31 AM
 
Location: Chicago
15,587 posts, read 22,120,234 times
Reputation: 1761
I live in a city that is a sanctuary city against the wishes of a majority of the legal population. Many leaders on all levels do not follow the wishes of the people or even consult them before making most decisions. They don't care what we want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2010, 02:11 AM
 
2,243 posts, read 3,403,165 times
Reputation: 2113
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why do we have sanctuary cities when we have Federal law against illegal immigration?
So the wealthy have a source of cheap labor and Frankfurt School Marxists such as Tamar Jacoby and company can continue to destroy this nation's traditional middle and lower income classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2010, 06:38 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,279 posts, read 29,368,252 times
Reputation: 17261
As I understand the term it is directly tied to illegal immigration. Immigrants usually flock to areas of the same and so long as the numbers weren't large these groups did not want their Police to have to deal with busting members of their own kind that came here illegally(or over stayed a Visa). Many are related and don't view some of our laws as worthy of being upheld such as crossing the border without documentation.

As to why they don't want Police to do their job is beyond me. That in itself can be viewed as racism. Some Cities have an actual law and some are implied like San Diego and LA. They for the most part go out of the way to discourage Police from fully doing their job. There is an implied two sets of laws going here. One for law abiding Citizens and another for those that strolled across the border via back door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2010, 06:53 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,013,112 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
As I understand the term it is directly tied to illegal immigration. Immigrants usually flock to areas of the same and so long as the numbers weren't large these groups did not want their Police to have to deal with busting members of their own kind that came here illegally(or over stayed a Visa). Many are related and don't view some of our laws as worthy of being upheld such as crossing the border without documentation.

As to why they don't want Police to do their job is beyond me. That in itself can be viewed as racism. Some Cities have an actual law and some are implied like San Diego and LA. They for the most part go out of the way to discourage Police from fully doing their job. There is an implied two sets of laws going here. One for law abiding Citizens and another for those that strolled across the border via back door.
Many but not all of these towns are predominantly Hispanic and their local officials are also. I can name several here in So. Calif. Yet the pro-illegals wonder why the focus is on Hispanic illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2010, 07:11 AM
 
Location: People's Republic of California
285 posts, read 441,518 times
Reputation: 233
What I don't understand is why have them at all since they seem to be, unfortunately, welcome in every city in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2010, 07:34 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,013,112 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykatt View Post
What I don't understand is why have them at all since they seem to be, unfortunately, welcome in every city in this country.
That may be true of many towns here in the southwest but not true of many towns back east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top