U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 04:49 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,948,309 times

Advertisements

Everyone that has worked and paid into SS should ALSO thoroughly check their SS statement every year and report any discrepancies.

Not sure what you can do to check any minor children's SS and/or credit history but that wouldn't be a bad idea every so often either.

As I understand it, the only reason the I-9 is set up as it is could be that MANY Americans don't have easy access to a List A document - ie, passport, birth certificate. Of course the documents list requirements were set up before we had to deal with such a high volume of fraudulent documentation being used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 09:07 PM

5,891 posts, read 12,252,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Q. Is it true that E-Verify makes an unacceptable amount of mistakes by erroneously flagging legal workers as unauthorized causing them to be fired?

A. No, the percentage of E-Verify errors being excessively high is a myth (http://www.dhs.gov/journal/leadership/2008/05/debunking-e-verify-error-rate.html - broken link). And so is the myth (http://www.dhs.gov/journal/leadership/2008/05/debunking-e-verify-capacity-problem.html - broken link) that E-Verify doesn't have the capacity to handle the heavy load that would result if many states adopt laws requiring its use. Workers cannot be fired without being given the chance to correct their records. In fact, E-Verify gives legal workers with Social Security errors a chance to fix their records now rather than when they reach the age of 65 and find out they haven't been credited for decades of work. Three more myths.
I agree with this.

Quote:
Q. Can illegal workers fool the system?

A. The only way an illegal immigrant worker has in the past been able to fool E-Verify, was by using a work document such as a green card and a social security card containing information belonging to another legal worker and doctored with a photo of himself. However with the mandatory use of the E-Verify photo tool now in effect, an illegal immigrant worker's document containing someone else's information would be revealed as fraudulent if the photo downloaded from the DHS did not match the photo on green card.

E-Verify For You FAQ
This is only true if the document presented by the employee is a federally issued document from List A. If the emloyee presents a state issued document from list B E-Verify won't have a copy of the document to allow the employer to compare the docs and detect fraud. That is exactly my point with this thread. Employers should no longer accept list B documents on I-9's and E-verify and then an illegal immigrant worker can't fool E-verify, do you understand now?

Old 10-14-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
As I understand it, the only reason the I-9 is set up as it is could be that MANY Americans don't have easy access to a List A document - ie, passport, birth certificate. Of course the documents list requirements were set up before we had to deal with such a high volume of fraudulent documentation being used.
Birth Certificates are list C documents by the way. You're probably right on why it was originally set up the way it was. However, due to the fact that fraud is so prevalent now it is time the form is made more strict. Any American can get a passport very easily. With my proposal essentially every American citizen would have to produce a US Passport to prove their employment authorization. It is a small price to pay in order to put a stop to employment fraud.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:36 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
A couple of things to add. In my opinion it shouldn't cost up to 100 dollars to obtain a passport. Of all the stupid govt programs out there we should be funding the costs of passports if to be used for employment for Americans. I'm ok for charging non-Americans but I don't think another "layer" of fees should be added to the already taxed out system.

Second, I think a tamper proof doc could be created but, as stated, it would have to be with finger prints, retina scans or dna. I'm sure the immigrant rights bozos would be all over that since it doesn't cheat or discriminate.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:05 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
A couple of things to add. In my opinion it shouldn't cost up to 100 dollars to obtain a passport. Of all the stupid govt programs out there we should be funding the costs of passports if to be used for employment for Americans. I'm ok for charging non-Americans but I don't think another "layer" of fees should be added to the already taxed out system.

Second, I think a tamper proof doc could be created but, as stated, it would have to be with finger prints, retina scans or dna. I'm sure the immigrant rights bozos would be all over that since it doesn't cheat or discriminate.
You mean like the exaggerated claim in here that next we will need to have a barcode stamped on our butts? Yep, the illegal alien sympathizers will exaggerate and protest anything that would be foolproof.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

$100.00 is a small price when compared to what the governement charges for other processing fees. None of the finger prints, retina scans or DNA would be necessary on a passport because E-verify gives employers access to the actual passport photo used on the official document and would be able to tell right away if the photo on the fraudulent document presented by the employee doesn't match with the photo on the official federally issued document.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:43 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
This is only true if the document presented by the employee is a federally issued document from List A. If the emloyee presents a state issued document from list B E-Verify won't have a copy of the document to allow the employer to compare the docs and detect fraud. That is exactly my point with this thread. Employers should no longer accept list B documents on I-9's and E-verify and then an illegal immigrant worker can't fool E-verify, do you understand now?
Quote:
However with the mandatory use of the E-Verify photo tool now in effect, an illegal immigrant worker's document containing someone else's information would be revealed as fraudulent if the photo downloaded from the DHS did not match the photo on green card.
The E-Verify photo tool is NOT optional. I don't know how an employer could now accept anything other than the required ID and remain compliant. Do you?

Old 10-15-2010, 10:48 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
$100.00 is a small price when compared to what the governement charges for other processing fees. None of the finger prints, retina scans or DNA would be necessary on a passport because E-verify gives employers access to the actual passport photo used on the official document and would be able to tell right away if the photo on the fraudulent document presented by the employee doesn't match with the photo on the official federally issued document.
A “valid” passport can’t be fraudulently obtained? Get real.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The E-Verify photo tool is NOT optional. I don't know how an employer could now accept anything other than the required ID and remain compliant. Do you?
You really need to understand the process before you post because I'm sick of explaining this over and over. Somebody could be hired and produce a state driver's license as their photo ID with the way the current I-9 form is laid out (this would be a list B document, which can be accompanied with a list c document on the I-9 form). E-Verify doesn't have state issued documents in its database so the employer wouldn't be given anything to compare the photo on the license to. This allows the employee the chance to steal somebody else's identity information and then take the stolen driver's license and manipulate it so their photo appears on the document instead of the actual owner of the ID. This method of fraud cannot be done with federally issued documents because E-verify gives the employer access to the original document so it can be compared to the one presented by the employee. Hence, my original proposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
A “valid” passport can’t be fraudulently obtained? Get real.
That's kind of the whole point of the photo verification portion of E-verify, so if a document is stolen and manipulated it won't match up with the original document when the employer compares the two during the E-verify process. If the passport is just flat out stolen the photo on the passport won't match the person presenting it, so the employer would be required to reject the document per the I-9 process.

Any other doubts?

Old 10-15-2010, 11:10 AM

6,611 posts, read 10,948,309 times
Are USA passports not biometric now? I know my daughter's Aussie passport is and I assume when I renew mine, it will be too.

Would be ironic if USA passports aren't considering other countries have had to switch to biometric because of US insistence after 9/11.

As a legal migrant I am already asked constantly by HR people for documents from ALL lists, even though that isn't correct procedure.

Being legal, I usually just shrug it off and give it to them (arguing with them does no good it seems). I'm wondering why illegals aren't asked for the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or