U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2010, 03:16 PM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Reputation: 957

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
The photo comparison takes place on site by the employer when he/she goes through the E-verify process for a new hire. The only time the employer would need to wait for a response from either the Department of Homeland Security or the Social Security Administration is when putting the new hire through E-verify results in a tentative non-confirmation or if the employer puts the information through and is notified that he/she needs to contact either department. That is seperate from the photo comparison tool section of the process.

Again you can have either a prescreen before hire...or you have to hire the employee, then do the e-verifcation. There is no instantaneous response to a I-9 check...with photo or without. Im talking about regulations in place todate with DHS/USCIS, Not what you propose.

At his time, there is no government agency an employer can go(on line) to to verify I-9 documentation. That is done through the E-verify process, after the employee is hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2010, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Again you can have either a prescreen before hire...or you have to hire the employee, then do the e-verifcation.
Are you talking about E-verify? E-verify can't be used as a pre-screening tool.

Quote:
There is no instantaneous response to a I-9 check...with photo or without. Im talking about regulations in place todate with DHS/USCIS, Not what you propose.
E-verify is used in conjunction with the I-9 form. They don't have to been done at the exact same time but it's easiest for employers to take care of the E-verify part right after the employee finishes filling out the I-9 form and presents the I-9 documents. However, technically E-verify needs to be completed within 3 days of the hire date.

Quote:
At his time, there is no government agency an employer can go(on line) to to verify I-9 documentation. That is done through the E-verify process, after the employee is hired.
Correct, you may have misunderstood one of my posts as I never suggested otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2010, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
Frankly I think it's sad that none of the anti-immigration folk on this forum see the opportunity to solve the illegal immigration issue by grasping a firm control on employment authorization and detecting and deterring ID fraud on the employment end. It's also sad that you all seem to self-proclaim yourselves as experts on immigration law and the causes and solutions to illegal immigration yet nobody seems to understand pretty simple processes like the I-9 form and E-Verify. I'm disappointed as I thought my idea would spark more intelligent conversation. Alright, sorry to vent. You can all go back to your hate-monging as you clearly find that to be more productive way to put a stop to the problem that seems to irk all of you so much..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2010, 08:15 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Frankly I think it's sad that none of the anti-immigration folk on this forum see the opportunity to solve the illegal immigration issue by grasping a firm control on employment authorization and detecting and deterring ID fraud on the employment end. It's also sad that you all seem to self-proclaim yourselves as experts on immigration law and the causes and solutions to illegal immigration yet nobody seems to understand pretty simple processes like the I-9 form and E-Verify. I'm disappointed as I thought my idea would spark more intelligent conversation. Alright, sorry to vent. You can all go back to your hate-monging as you clearly find that to be more productive way to put a stop to the problem that seems to irk all of you so much..
And here I thought you knew better than to hurl personal insults in here. I guess I was wrong.

First off none of us are anti-"immigration". We are anti-illegal immigration. Second, we are all for e-verify in its present or new and improved form now and later. And finally calling us hate-mongoring is not only a lie but it an insult to the members of this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 08:25 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Are you talking about E-verify? E-verify can't be used as a pre-screening tool.



E-verify is used in conjunction with the I-9 form. They don't have to been done at the exact same time but it's easiest for employers to take care of the E-verify part right after the employee finishes filling out the I-9 form and presents the I-9 documents. However, technically E-verify needs to be completed within 3 days of the hire date.



Correct, you may have misunderstood one of my posts as I never suggested otherwise.
I stated that you propose a employer I-9 check of the prespective employee. That could only be done before hire(before E-verify)..and to date, that is not a reality for employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I stated that you propose a employer I-9 check of the prespective employee. That could only be done before hire(before E-verify)..and to date, that is not a reality for employers.
I don't propose an I-9 check. I was referring to the I-9 check that takes place when you put the information into E-Verify. My proposal is to change the acceptable documents on the I-9 from from List A or B & C to only A&C in order to make it more compatible with E-Verify and thus, more effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 10,946,003 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Frankly I think it's sad that none of the anti-immigration folk on this forum see the opportunity to solve the illegal immigration issue by grasping a firm control on employment authorization and detecting and deterring ID fraud on the employment end. It's also sad that you all seem to self-proclaim yourselves as experts on immigration law and the causes and solutions to illegal immigration yet nobody seems to understand pretty simple processes like the I-9 form and E-Verify. I'm disappointed as I thought my idea would spark more intelligent conversation. Alright, sorry to vent. You can all go back to your hate-monging as you clearly find that to be more productive way to put a stop to the problem that seems to irk all of you so much..
Except you of course - gotcha No one here has ever had responsibility for hiring but you.

As far as "hate mongering" goes it seems you're the one hurling insults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2010, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Except you of course - gotcha No one here has ever had responsibility for hiring but you.

As far as "hate mongering" goes it seems you're the one hurling insults.
Yeah, and I stand by my statements. I have yet to see a comment from somebody one here who understands what I'm talking about or how the I-9 and E-verify processes work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2010, 04:08 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Yeah, and I stand by my statements. I have yet to see a comment from somebody one here who understands what I'm talking about or how the I-9 and E-verify processes work.
Even it that were true where does hate mongering come into this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2010, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Even it that were true where does hate mongering come into this?
Please stay on topic, and what do you mean "if" that were true? Somebody who understands my proposal regarding a change to the I-9 form to be more compatible with E-verify, please speak up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top