Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:42 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How did Whitman get around her notification for her illegal? I don't know, I'm just asking. It must not be hard to avoid currently or employers are ignoring it.
Did Whitman use E-verify to hire her employee? And did the employee recieve a TNC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 04:11 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Did Whitman use E-verify to hire her employee? And did the employee recieve a TNC?
No, she hired her through an agency. So it was up to the agency to verify Diaz's elgibility to work in this country.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:15 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
My whole point in all of this is my disappointment that when I actually come up with something that may better help prevent employers from unknowingly hiring illegal immigrants and when I ask for some feedback on it all I hear is crickets chirp....yet people on here are constantly saying we need to punish employers for providing employment to people who aren't legally authorized to be here. Well, my thought process on that is that once the government puts checks and tools into place that employers can use to prevent this from happening then they can better hold them accountable to it later.

The problem with the current system is that many illegal immigrants are able to get employment with false or stolen ID documents. My whole point is that this is something that can be corrected and I think it is worth discussing. So please put aside any other argument I've brought up in any other topic and let's focus on the proposal I've made or what other potential things could be done to prevent people from getting work who shouldn't be.
I haven't a clue what you are talking about. You made suggestions to improve e-verify and I said by all means if there is a way to improve the already high percentage of accuracy of e-verify by all means I am all for it.

There were no crickets chirping on what your proposed. Several people including myself responsed to you on that.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:15 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How did Whitman get around her notification for her illegal? I don't know, I'm just asking. It must not be hard to avoid currently or employers are ignoring it.
You mean considering the official SSA mismatch notice SPECIFICALLY directs employers against taking any action against the employee on the basis of the notice?

Old 10-20-2010, 12:39 PM

There's some interesting points made re e-verify etc in this article.....among them this one regarding the SSA 'no match' notifications -

Quote:
In 2007 there were over 8 million “no-matches” in the Social Security database and SSA and DHS wanted to mail letters to 140,000 employers advising them of whose information wasn’t matching up. The mailing of the “no-match” letters was stopped by a lawsuit filed by the AFL-CIO, the ACLU and other “end users” of illegal alien labor. They did not even want the employers notified about workers whose info didn’t match. The idea was abandoned by the feds in November of 2009.
The Meg Whitman Affair is Just a Sideshow - San Francisco Immigration | Examiner.com

Old 10-20-2010, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
My whole argument for the photo tool is that beyond photo substitution, which this tool will catch, how else would a stolen ID work because it should be fairly obvious to the hiring manager that the photo on the stolen ID wouldn't match the applicant (since it obviously would be somebody else in the photo).
Theoretically, the employer is supposed to catch that during the Form I-9 process, but they are told to be conservative and should only reject a document if they are reasonably sure the document is fake or the photo clearly is not of the employee.

That's not always as simple as it might sound especially for junior level staff that hasn't been adequately trained.

One of the arguments for biometrics, fingerprints or otherwise, is that it removes most the subjectivity in verifying identity. It does, on the other hand, open a whole new set of issues.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
You mean considering the official SSA mismatch notice SPECIFICALLY directs employers against taking any action against the employee on the basis of the notice?
Untill or unless the employee does not challenge the Tentative Nonconfirmation (TNC) letter. If an employee does not challenge the TNC, he may be fired.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:53 PM

Well if you read my prior post it seems SSA is no longer even sending out those notices.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
E-verify was not in place when the ex maid was hired in 2000 so the point is moot.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
E-verify was not in place when the ex maid was hired in 2000 so the point is moot.
Actually, the answer would be no; there was(is) no point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration