U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:37 PM

3,858 posts, read 5,971,872 times

Advertisements

The NAU is just a theoretical pipe dream but surely anything that raises Mexico's standard of living is good for the US. NAFTA and the maquilla program have helped industrialize - but at the expense of job loss in the agricultural sector. Mexico has a comfortable middle class, most of whom don't want to move - the migrants are mainly peasants from the south moving north to industrial jobs. Many wind up in the maquillas and settle in Mexico along the border and others cross over. An improved Mexican economy, which can only come through international trade, is the best incentive for migrants to stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 12:58 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,836,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
The NAU is just a theoretical pipe dream but surely anything that raises Mexico's standard of living is good for the US. NAFTA and the maquilla program have helped industrialize - but at the expense of job loss in the agricultural sector. Mexico has a comfortable middle class, most of whom don't want to move - the migrants are mainly peasants from the south moving north to industrial jobs. Many wind up in the maquillas and settle in Mexico along the border and others cross over. An improved Mexican economy, which can only come through international trade, is the best incentive for migrants to stay home.
Why canít Mexico solve its own problems? Given the obvious economic disparity between Canada/USA and Mexico, the NAU would be a monumental disaster. The only country to benefit would be Mexico. It would be tantamount to Bill Gates and Oprah Winfrey agreeing to consolidate their assets with the assets of a group of welfare recipients.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:02 PM

12,775 posts, read 7,410,497 times
Quote:
Well, then, Mexico had better do more international trading, and I don't mean trading in their poor for remittances.

Maybe Mexico should start educating their peasants and making sure they can fit into Mexican society instead of sending them over the border. I mean, after all, they are supposed to have such strong feelings for their own people, right? Or are the peasants not considered 'Mexican'? Is Mexico trying to purge their country of peasants? Sure seems that way to me. The US has it's own poor; adding more poverty would not help any country.

"..and others cross over". I like that. Sounds so benign. Your 'others' amount to millions.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:12 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,836,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Well, then, Mexico had better do more international trading, and I don't mean trading in their poor for remittances.

Maybe Mexico should start educating their peasants and making sure they can fit into Mexican society instead of sending them over the border. I mean, after all, they are supposed to have such strong feelings for their own people, right? Or are the peasants not considered 'Mexican'? Is Mexico trying to purge their country of peasants? Sure seems that way to me. The US has it's own poor; adding more poverty would not help any country.

"..and others cross over". I like that. Sounds so benign. Your 'others' amount to millions.
Sorry I can't rep you.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Sorry I can't rep you.
Same here!

I loved your Oprah/Gates analogy!

Old 10-18-2010, 01:51 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,798,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
This is profound! Countries closest to us geographically have more illegals here than ones across an ocean. You have found the lost ark!

Mind = Blown.
lol amazing discovery, who would have known that mexicans would comprise the largest number of illegals without this astounding ground breaking analysis.

and asking why arent there illegal canadians in the US is pretty stupid.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
lol amazing discovery, who would have known that mexicans would comprise the largest number of illegals without this astounding ground breaking analysis.

and asking why arent there illegal canadians in the US is pretty stupid.
That's not the point. It's obvious that the overwhelming majority of illegals here are Mexican is because we share a border.

The point is people who are against illegal immigration are called racists.

It's not our fault that Mexicans make up the largest majority of illegals.

We are not racist.
Illegal is not any particular race.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:12 PM

3,858 posts, read 5,971,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
We are not racist.
Illegal is not any particular race.
Correct, the OP talking about holding the pimple on the butt of Latino illegals is just childish not racist.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Correct, the OP talking about holding the pimple on the butt of Latino illegals is just childish not racist.
I guess you missed the beginning of my post.

Please do not try to refute the fact that people who are against illegal immigration are considered - and called - racists.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:26 PM

32,926 posts, read 30,173,166 times
How about those Countries distribute some birth control. Heck, I'd be for the US paying for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or