U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:05 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
NYC is surrounded by beaches. It's practcally an Island.

I've never been to NYC, but I wasn't comparing LA to NYC. I was telling it the way it is. I lived in So, California for 36 years.
You have my condolences but at least you made the "Great Escape". I am still stuck here in la la land. By the way, I am originally from Michigan also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 03:08 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,948,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I totally agree with you. If we are to retain our nation's identifying culture and society immigrants need to come from a variety of ethnic backgrounds and countries. Not just one so that they end up changing the demographics of this country's main society and above all immigration must be orderly and within our laws in place.

Which is why we have the diversity lottery and why only countries with a minority of immgrants to the USA can participate.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:24 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
We are inundated with illegals, mostly from Mexico and Latin countries. But we also have illegals from many other countries. They often come legally, then overstay their visas.
The experiences of Mexicans in the U.S. have typically been documented in areas such as California, Texas, and the Southwest. Notably, Mexicans are the fastest growing immigrant group in New York City (Cortina & Gendreau, 2003). There were 186,872 New Yorkers of Mexican origin in 2000, triple the 61,772 Mexicans counted in New York City in1990 (Rivera-Batiz, 2004). This likely represents an undercount due to low participation in the Census by undocumented Mexicans. A more accurate estimate of New York City’s Mexican origin population would be between 275,000 and 300,000 (Smith, 2005). Population increases in New York’s Mexican origin population due to migration have been augmented by relatively high birth rates among Mexican immigrant women. There were nearly 29,000 births to Mexican mothers between 1990 and 1996, the third highest number of births to an ethnic group behind Dominicans and Jamaicans (New York City Department of City Planning, 2004). This trend of rapid growth has continued to the present with births to Mexican mothers representing the largest to any ethnic group in New York City in 2005 (Bernstein, 2007).

home2 - www (http://www.mexicannewyork.com/home2 - broken link)

Old 08-04-2010, 05:24 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You have my condolences but at least you made the "Great Escape". I am still stuck here in la la land. By the way, I am originally from Michigan also.
I left SoCal in 2007 and made it to Oklahoma just as HB 1804 was taking effect. oohh...the difference. no illegals(in sight or working), no smog, fresh air,and much more. I do miss the Mnts. But we have the Ozarks here.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:25 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
LA's starting to look like Mexico, that's why there;s less tourism.
But it would be like Mexico without Mexico's charm, history, and friendly people.

Yes - it can't compete with the real Mexico and it's no longer an American city with much for tourists to enjoy. That's just it - if I want to see Mexico, I'm going to see the real thing, not some cheap imitation filled with welfare recipient types.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:55 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,959,819 times
NYC has long been a city of immigrants, has been pro-immigrant for a long time, and has long established institutions to integrate immigrants' children into American life, like specialized public schools.

California outside of San Francisco never had those institutions (not even in Oakland which was also a destination for immigrants in the early 20th century) and Southern California 100 years ago was xenophobic, anti-immigrant, and run by people with a Klan type mentality. SF if anything was more diverse in the 19th century than it is today - while L.A. as late as 1950 was the most WASP city outside the former Confederacy (and obviously more WASP than New Orleans or the Texas cities). Instead of specialized schools there were "one size fits all" comprehensives, which worked for awhile but broke down because of Prop 13 and busing (neither of which had to do with immigrants, legal or illegal). L.A. also got too big for its own sake, it was designed for a much smaller population. The reason why L.A. differs from S.F. - let alone N.Y. - is that it went from being very anti-immigrant to a major immigration center whereas S.F. and the Northeast cities have been immigration centers throughout their history.

L.A. is also notoriously tourist-unfriendly and has been since long before illegal immigration problems got to recent levels. Too spread out and there's not enough public transport (ironically L.A. has better public transport now than it's had in over 60 years, if not ever - and further improving it is its only hope to avoid turning into Detroit). These problems can't be blamed on illegals, nor can its dysfunctional structure of government.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:15 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
Quote:
NYC is surrounded by beaches. It's practcally an Island.

I've never been to NYC, but I wasn't comparing LA to NYC. I was telling it the way it is. I lived in So, California for 36 years.
Manhattan IS an island as is Staten Island, one of the other boroughs of NYC. Brooklyn and Queens have vast stretches of beach (ocean and sound) by virtue of being geographically on Long Island -- which has hundreds of miles of beaches outside of Bklyn & Queens' shoreline. Even The Bronx, the only borough situated on mainland USA, has beachfront, however it is not ocean beaches.

Going back on topic -- I've been to LA, have family out there and one friend who moved to extreme northern CA because of the nonsense going on there. My observation echoes many on here: many NY immigrants come here with something to offer whereas the immigrants in CA appeared to be less educated and impoverished.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:08 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Manhattan IS an island as is Staten Island, one of the other boroughs of NYC. Brooklyn and Queens have vast stretches of beach (ocean and sound) by virtue of being geographically on Long Island -- which has hundreds of miles of beaches outside of Bklyn & Queens' shoreline. Even The Bronx, the only borough situated on mainland USA, has beachfront, however it is not ocean beaches.

Going back on topic -- I've been to LA, have family out there and one friend who moved to extreme northern CA because of the nonsense going on there. My observation echoes many on here: many NY immigrants come here with something to offer whereas the immigrants in CA appeared to be less educated and impoverished.
California and other Border states are like primary filters.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:51 AM

841 posts, read 790,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I have spend alot of time recently in LA and NYC. I am shocked how many of the people in both Cities are from a foreign country and speaking a different language. LA and the rest of Southern California seems to be really struggling with both legal and illegal immigration. While New York City's immigration seems to be better. The immigrants are more varied and not dominated by people from Latin America. NYC seems to thrive on immigrants while LA is choking. Agree?
The very liberal Joy Behart and Joan Rivers both agreed on Behart's CNN show that they are both sick of all the foreigners in NYC who do not like Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or