U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 09:50 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the term "anchor baby" a fallacy. Yes, granted by the 14th an individual born here is granted citizenship but that doesn't "anchor" the parent/parents here. I think the age the child has to be to make his parents citizens is 20 or 21 and even then, that's no walk in the park.
No, it’s not a fallacy. Anchor babies, albeit unable to sponsor their parents at birth, do in fact “anchor” them to this country. Actually, most illegals aren’t interested in becoming U.S. citizens. They simply want the means to remain here, which is accomplished by giving birth on U.S. soil. In fact, without the tax-funded benefits the entire family enjoys (welfare, subsidized housing, food stamps) most illegals would be forced to return to their countries of origin. Personally, I prefer the other term, “jackpot babies” given that illegals do indeed “hit the jackpot” upon giving birth in this country. It is, by far, THE most lucrative of all illegal alien scams.

The most vociferous opposition from illegal alien advocacy groups, politicians, and other pro-illegals, involves the “separation of families” through the deportation of the parents of anchors. I’m sure you have seen the sad faces of anchors as they carry signs imploring the government to spare their parents. Some even have the temerity to compare the deportation of illegal aliens to the separation of families during slavery.

Quote:
Claudia, who would only give her first name because of her illegal status, is one of dozens of supporters who are desperate to see a change in policy. She has been living in the United States for the last seven years, and her worst fear is that she will be separated from her two children, ages 1 and 5, in the event that she and her husband are forced to return to Brazil.

Organized by the New Jersey Advocates for Immigrant Detainees, the vigils served to highlight the impact that raids, detention, and deportation have on the children of immigrant parents calling for the passage of the Child Citizens Protection Act, which would give immigration judges discretion when evaluating the deportation of immigrants with children who are U.S. citizens.
A Fight to Keep Immigrant Families Together *|*| ZoomNYC

Furthermore, countless illegal alien parents have been permitted to remain in this country as caregivers for a sick or disabled child. Of course we all know the U.S. is the ONLY country equipped to treat medical conditions. Heaven forbid they return home with their children. No, that would be far too inhumane and un-American. Funny, they have no problem abandoning children to come here, but that’s different.

Quote:
"My son’s life is hanging by a thread," Lerma said Friday at her home in Southmost. "Doctors have told me he will not live much longer if I take him with me to Mexico. But I do not know of anyone who can take care of him for me if I leave."
Boy struggling for life now faces mom's deportation | faces, month, life - Top Story - Brownsville Herald (http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/articles/faces-110825-month-life.html - broken link)

A provision in CIR even exempts the parents of anchors from the employment obligation. In other words, unlike other immigrants for whom employment is a requisite, an illegal alien parent is eligible for legalization if he/she is the primary caregiver for a minor child, or is pregnant with a “future” U.S. citizen. Clearly, the benefits of being the parent of an anchor are endless.

Without anchor babies, illegal aliens would have far less leverage. After all, they ARE the parents of U.S. citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 01:40 PM

413 posts, read 1,020,219 times
^ Good points. I respect these illegal immigrants; the ones that don't commit heinous crimes but just the average illegal trying to make a living. Who I don't respect are the people implementing public policy that have done absolutely nothing to combat this problem.

I deeply believe in the 14th amendment that states if you're born here you ARE a citizen. I say these parents have two choices; either we make some program where they are indebted to the govt. for a certain period to become a citizen or they can be deported back to their country and the kids will go to foster care.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:10 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
^ Good points. I respect these illegal immigrants; the ones that don't commit heinous crimes but just the average illegal trying to make a living. Who I don't respect are the people implementing public policy that have done absolutely nothing to combat this problem.

I deeply believe in the 14th amendment that states if you're born here you ARE a citizen. I say these parents have two choices; either we make some program where they are indebted to the govt. for a certain period to become a citizen or they can be deported back to their country and the kids will go to foster care.
I would respect them if they at least attempted to improve conditions in their countries of origin, rather than relying on U.S. taxpayers to improve their lot. I have no respect for scofflaws, regardless of their motives for being here. I particularly have no respect for people who exploit their children, or give birth for personal gain.

If the parents are citizens of another country and are here illegally, their children should share their nationality and immigration status. I don’t consider that discriminatory or unreasonable. It’s insane to reward illegals for violating our laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or