Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:22 PM

732 posts, read 2,125,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxmor View Post
I'm sorry that you feel like you have been "run out" of trades. That is the wonderful thing about being American, you can do something else. "Illegal alien trespassers" don't have the same options we do. Hence, the low paying dangerous jobs that Americans don't want/don't want to pay for.
Your buddy's (as opposed to buddies) truck being stolen is a sad thing, but did he have insurance? Could he buy another truck? I'm not saying it's right. Not at all. Just pointing out that we have options and others do not.
But to the main point, as asked by the OP, is that I do think that he is taking it a bit far to be angry at the idea the perpetrator is/might be illegal. I would be angry about the proposed crime against me.
Being an illegal alien is a crime against you. Every time they go to the ER and don't pay their bill your health insurance rates go up. Every time they hit and run and your insurance rates go up. I could go on and on.

Illegal aliens were willing to commit the first crime of crossing the border ILLEGALLY, what are the chances that that will be their first and only crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 02:40 PM

322 posts, read 846,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
Being an illegal alien is a crime against you. Every time they go to the ER and don't pay their bill your health insurance rates go up. Every time they hit and run and your insurance rates go up. I could go on and on.

Illegal aliens were willing to commit the first crime of crossing the border ILLEGALLY, what are the chances that that will be their first and only crime?
There are plenty of white people who do the same things. Being mad at a brown person for hitting your car is ok, being mad because the might or might not be an illegal alien is ridiculous.
I am angrier at the "legal" people going to the hospital and not paying, not the person with no money and no way to make it.
I am angry at the white college student that hit and ran my car a year ago, but not whether or not he is here legally.
I am confused by your logic with the "chances that that will be their first and only crime" statement. I would hazard to guess that the majority of people here without documentation are looking for a better life, not to rip you off. There are plenty of white and black people who commit crimes. Are you saying that they are more likely to see the error of their ways and stop their lives of crime? Does being here illegally make you more, I don't know, "criminalish"?

Old 10-21-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of white people who do the same things. Being mad at a brown person for hitting your car is ok, being mad because the might or might not be an illegal alien is ridiculous.
I am angrier at the "legal" people going to the hospital and not paying, not the person with no money and no way to make it.
I am angry at the white college student that hit and ran my car a year ago, but not whether or not he is here legally.
I am confused by your logic with the "chances that that will be their first and only crime" statement. I would hazard to guess that the majority of people here without documentation are looking for a better life, not to rip you off. There are plenty of white and black people who commit crimes. Are you saying that they are more likely to see the error of their ways and stop their lives of crime? Does being here illegally make you more, I don't know, "criminalish"?
You do know that illegal aliens don't have to have brown skin, right? There are plenty of white, yellow, and black illegal aliens. Also, I am not sure how the illegal actions of a citizen change the illegal actions of an illegal alien.

I'm not sure I get the last question. Are you asking if someone is more "criminalish" after committing a crime such as crossing the border illegally?

Old 10-21-2010, 02:47 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Be thankful that the driver actually pulled into the parking lot (which you are supposed to in in an accident if the cars are movable - you are to get off the street) and that he had insurance and so far has accepted responsibility. I've seen way too many accidents that involved a legal "white" person that had insurance that balked at taking full responsibility and tried to fight it every step of the way and the victim having to end up claiming it on their insurance. So far, you are ahead of the game by a long shot.

As for the sorry occupants. The bad karma will catch up w/ them. Some cities have started towing cars of drivers that have no drivers license and insurance. They may very well end up getting their own justice delivered to them someday.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:52 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,706 times
Quote:
I am angry at the white college student that hit and ran my car a year ago
If it was a "hit-and-run", how do you know that person was a college student?

I didn't think there was a lot of "get-to-know-each-other" during a "hit-a-run"..

Old 10-21-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
You do know that illegal aliens don't have to have brown skin, right? There are plenty of white, yellow, and black illegal aliens. Also, I am not sure how the illegal actions of a citizen change the illegal actions of an illegal alien.

I'm not sure I get the last question. Are you asking if someone is more "criminalish" after committing a crime such as crossing the border illegally?
Yes. I know aliens come in all colors. Getting mad at someone (as the OP suggested he did) because he is illegal and trying to "bust him" to the cops is lame. Getting mad because some jerk hit your car and then his friend suggests they leave, well, that's ok. I'd be mad, too.
As for my last question, did you read what the previous poster had written? That he thinks the illegal people are going to lead some sort of criminal life? My point is that I highly doubt that there are more illegal people committing crimes than legal people and that I don't see how coming over the border without documentation makes someone more likely to be a crook.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
If it was a "hit-and-run", how do you know that person was a college student?

I didn't think there was a lot of "get-to-know-each-other" during a "hit-a-run"..
You're right jobert! Look! I assumed he was a college student because of the UT sticker, band stickers and alarmed look on his boyish face! You are so right. Look what happens when you assume something!!!

Old 10-21-2010, 03:01 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,706 times
Quote:
You're right jobert! Look! I assumed he was a college student because of the UT sticker, band stickers and alarmed look on his boyish face! You are so right. Look what happens when you assume something!!!

So he was a member of the UT band with a boyish face...did you ever find him? Sounds like it would have been easy enough.

Easier than looking for a 5'6" hispanic male who speaks little or no english, at least.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Yes. I know aliens come in all colors. Getting mad at someone (as the OP suggested he did) because he is illegal and trying to "bust him" to the cops is lame. Getting mad because some jerk hit your car and then his friend suggests they leave, well, that's ok. I'd be mad, too.
As for my last question, did you read what the previous poster had written? That he thinks the illegal people are going to lead some sort of criminal life? My point is that I highly doubt that there are more illegal people committing crimes than legal people and that I don't see how coming over the border without documentation makes someone more likely to be a crook.
Yes, I read what the previous poster wrote as he was typing it.

You would be wrong in your assumption. Every illegal person is committing a crime. 100%. One hundred percent.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:14 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1988 View Post
I've been looking for a place to post this on the internet, and I figure this is as good a place as any. Long post, may lack coherency since im typing this up really fast before i go to work...

Story: I get rear-ended by a van in SE austin, i roll down my window and point to a empty church parking lot so me and the driver of the van can assess the damage. I can see as i get out of my car that the van is packed with hispanic people, had to be at least 10 + the driver. Driver gets out along with another guy and we see that I have a busted brake light.

Now this is the part where I get extremely pissed off. I'm a chinese guy, but I've taken 3 years of spanish and studied abroad in Spain, so I'm pretty fluent in Spanish. The driver of the van spoke perfect english, no problem. But the guy who got out with him started speaking spanish, and he looked at the driver and said "Why didn't you just keep driving after he pulled into the church? He wouldn't of chased you, now he will probably call the police.... what should we do, we paid you money and you said this would not happen. should we stay in the van or go to one of the fast food places close by and wait?" The driver tells the guy, straight up, "You don't have anything to worry about, the police will only check my ID, and in this city they arent allowed to ask you about your status so stay in the van." My anger is overwhelming at this point, but I figure I'll just tell the police when they come. Cop arrives, gets the guys details insurance ect., everything checks out apparently.

I ask the officer if i can have a private conversation with him off to the side, and I tell him everything that happened, how one of the guys in the car wanted to just drive away after the accident, and how they seemed nervous as hell about the police showing up, and that I thought the driver might be smuggling these people into the country. The officer said he thought it was suspicious too, but that he could only check the ID of the driver per city policy, and he checked out fine. So there was nothing he could do... and he let the guy go on his way.

Anyways. I'm a pretty liberal guy. I don't hate immigrants, being one myself. But it just seemed like this guy was blatantly smuggling people into the country and the police couldnt do **** about it, and it baffles my mind. And the fact that driver seemed arrogant as hell like he knew the police couldnt do anything pissed me off even more.

Just wondering what everyones opinion is on this? am i overreacting? is my anger misdirected?
For being an immigrant from China your English is nothing short of incredible. I mean that in a literal sense: I question the credibility of this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration