U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 03:25 PM

323 posts, read 727,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
Yes, I read what the previous poster wrote as he was typing it.

You would be wrong in your assumption. Every illegal person is committing a crime. 100%. One hundred percent.
Actually, I'm not wrong with saying that the people who come here illegally are no more likely to lead a life of crime than someone who is legal. One crime does not equal life of crime. In fact, I think the bigger crime is persecuting someone for wanting a better life. I have a right to my opinion, which is what the OP asked for. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 03:26 PM

323 posts, read 727,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
So he was a member of the UT band with a boyish face...did you ever find him? Sounds like it would have been easy enough.

Easier than looking for a 5'6" hispanic male who speaks little or no english, at least.
He may or may not have been a member of a band. The stickers were for rock bands.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:37 PM

732 posts, read 1,683,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxmor View Post
Actually, I'm not wrong with saying that the people who come here illegally are no more likely to lead a life of crime than someone who is legal. One crime does not equal life of crime. In fact, I think the bigger crime is persecuting someone for wanting a better life. I have a right to my opinion, which is what the OP asked for. That's all.
How many crimes does someone have to commit before they are a criminal?

I want a better life for myself but I am not going to start doing illegal things to get there. I am fortunate to have faired pretty well in the birth lottery, but I still strive for better.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:53 PM

640 posts, read 1,514,007 times
Personally, the OP seems like a troll, but whatever. There are definitely some non-whites who, in effort to appease and align themselves with white people, will openly join in on any prejudices and racism towards a certain group in order to feel accepted. In order to have an "in group", one must carve out an "out group", right? When it comes to illegal immigration, the people who continue to hire them and the cities that look the other way are to blame. When you consider the growth of Austin and some of the extravagant housing you see, it's fairly obvious contractors are reaping some serious profit by keeping the cheap labor around. It's not wrong to be against illegal immigration or to be annoyed by illegal immigrants. What angers me is that the bulk of the anger will be directed at ANY Latino person walking around rather than targeting that anger towards the American citizen employers who exacerbate and propagate the situation or the city governments who look the other way.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,388 times
Sorry guys, I didn't mean for this to turn into a race debate. And I supposed its wrong of me for being more angry at what could of happened (hit and run) instead of what did happen (hit and insurance pays up). It just upset me that this person could break the law with zero consequence, and that my word was still not enough evidence to warrant the police officer to ask for identification of the other passengers involved, the same ones who had suggested a hit run so they could get away and not be questioned by police.

It's out of my hands now. as for the person who questioned how a Chinese immigrant could have such good English skills... I Immigrated with my parents when I was 5, so I sure as heck better know English.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:07 PM

16,688 posts, read 39,312,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1988 View Post
I've been looking for a place to post this on the internet, and I figure this is as good a place as any. Long post, may lack coherency since im typing this up really fast before i go to work...

Story: I get rear-ended by a van in SE austin, i roll down my window and point to a empty church parking lot so me and the driver of the van can assess the damage. I can see as i get out of my car that the van is packed with hispanic people, had to be at least 10 + the driver. Driver gets out along with another guy and we see that I have a busted brake light.

Now this is the part where I get extremely pissed off. I'm a chinese guy, but I've taken 3 years of spanish and studied abroad in Spain, so I'm pretty fluent in Spanish. The driver of the van spoke perfect english, no problem. But the guy who got out with him started speaking spanish, and he looked at the driver and said "Why didn't you just keep driving after he pulled into the church? He wouldn't of chased you, now he will probably call the police.... what should we do, we paid you money and you said this would not happen. should we stay in the van or go to one of the fast food places close by and wait?" The driver tells the guy, straight up, "You don't have anything to worry about, the police will only check my ID, and in this city they arent allowed to ask you about your status so stay in the van." My anger is overwhelming at this point, but I figure I'll just tell the police when they come. Cop arrives, gets the guys details insurance ect., everything checks out apparently.

I ask the officer if i can have a private conversation with him off to the side, and I tell him everything that happened, how one of the guys in the car wanted to just drive away after the accident, and how they seemed nervous as hell about the police showing up, and that I thought the driver might be smuggling these people into the country. The officer said he thought it was suspicious too, but that he could only check the ID of the driver per city policy, and he checked out fine. So there was nothing he could do... and he let the guy go on his way.

Anyways. I'm a pretty liberal guy. I don't hate immigrants, being one myself. But it just seemed like this guy was blatantly smuggling people into the country and the police couldnt do **** about it, and it baffles my mind. And the fact that driver seemed arrogant as hell like he knew the police couldnt do anything pissed me off even more.

Just wondering what everyones opinion is on this? am i overreacting? is my anger misdirected?
I'd be angry about his also. It is one thing for the police officers to not go out looking for illegal immigrants. It is entirely another for them to ignore legitimate complaints from citizens about blatant smuggling activities. The worst part of this whole illegal immigration problem are the criminals who are profiting from it.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:30 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,582,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
For being an immigrant from China your English is nothing short of incredible. I mean that in a literal sense: I question the credibility of this post.
I wasn't going to get involved in this discussion, but I just couldn't help myself. I incessantly receive comments similar to the one above. I'm not trying to target the person who posted the comment, but I'm just sharing my experiences in hopes to dispel the stereotypes. I was born and raised in Japan, and upon discovering this, many people are amazed at how well I speak English. There are many Japanese people (living in Japan) who speak perfect English. Likewise, there are many Americans living in Japan who speak perfect Japanese. It's not unheard of. It was unfair to question the credibility of this post based on the person's nationality. As I said earlier, I'm just sharing. . .

Old 10-21-2010, 05:40 PM

481 posts, read 1,982,847 times
My husband is in law enforcement and he said to contact the Texas Attorney General's office. They have a human trafficking unit. Give the AG all the info you have on the driver and they will investigate. My husband also said that Austin is a safe haven city where the police can't ask you where you are from. But the attorney generals office will prosecute. PM me if you need more info.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:57 PM

60,074 posts, read 30,599,526 times
Quote:
I'm sorry that you feel like you have been "run out" of trades. That is the wonderful thing about being American, you can do something else. "Illegal alien trespassers" don't have the same options we do. Hence, the low paying dangerous jobs that Americans don't want/don't want to pay for.
Your buddy's (as opposed to buddies) truck being stolen is a sad thing, but did he have insurance? Could he buy another truck? I'm not saying it's right. Not at all. Just pointing out that we have options and others do not.
But to the main point, as asked by the OP, is that I do think that he is taking it a bit far to be angry at the idea the perpetrator is/might be illegal. I would be angry about the proposed crime against me.

Illegal alien trespassers, shouldn't have any options. Are you serious that they should???

You try to justify an illegal activity that decimates our economy, like a parasite on the host, yet fall way short of getting any point across.

This is the problem, not the solution.
You cannot have a sovereign nanny state nation, with open borders. It does not work.

I'm sure you would be OK with me, my family and my buddies and all their clan camping out on your lawn, with plans to build a house/shack?

Old 10-21-2010, 05:59 PM

60,074 posts, read 30,599,526 times
Quote:
There are plenty of white people who

Illegal alien trespasser, is not a race, it is a crime.
Spinning it to mean something it is not, make you look foolish and uneducated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration