Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:05 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxmor View Post
Yes. I know aliens come in all colors. Getting mad at someone (as the OP suggested he did) because he is illegal and trying to "bust him" to the cops is lame. Getting mad because some jerk hit your car and then his friend suggests they leave, well, that's ok. I'd be mad, too.
As for my last question, did you read what the previous poster had written? That he thinks the illegal people are going to lead some sort of criminal life? My point is that I highly doubt that there are more illegal people committing crimes than legal people and that I don't see how coming over the border without documentation makes someone more likely to be a crook.

This is what is wrong with our society today.

Turn a blind eye, don't get involved. So the corrupt crooks can and will keep doing what they are doing.
Nothing to see here. Move on!

Moderator cut: off topic/personal

Last edited by Bo; 10-21-2010 at 08:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 06:58 PM

322 posts, read 847,112 times
Sure, Bentbow. Moderator cut: orphaned
It is allowed for me to want rights for immigrants, illegal or otherwise. I have the right to want people to be mad at the crime, not the legal status of the person. I don't think it's a case of "nothing to see here". I didn't say that.
Think what you want and I'll still be here thinking what I want.

Last edited by Bo; 10-21-2010 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you were referring to was edited

Old 10-21-2010, 07:33 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Quote:
Hence, the low paying dangerous jobs that Americans don't want/don't want to pay for.

Please, that is such an old, old tactic. It's plain ol hog wash!

OP: I hope you can use some of the good suggestions here. I would have been scared cuss if it were me. I think you handled yourself pretty well considering you were outnumbered and you clearly understood what he was saying. (and it wasn't have a nice day)

Old 10-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
City-Data has an Illegal Immigration forum, which is the only place on this entire message board where it is OK to discuss the politically-charged hot-button topic of illegal immigration. Since so little about the thread that has followed the original post has to do with Austin and so much of it has to do with illegal immigration, the thread is moving from the local forum to that forum.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:08 PM

555 posts, read 877,156 times
Quote:
Actually, I'm not wrong with saying that the people who come here illegally are no more likely to lead a life of crime than someone who is legal. One crime does not equal life of crime. In fact, I think the bigger crime is persecuting someone for wanting a better life. I have a right to my opinion, which is what the OP asked for. That's all.
There is no right to a better life. There is, however, a right to expect your government to enforce its borders so you have a sovereign nation. I would have a better life if all the illegal aliens left my country. Instead, the 1000 Hispanic lobbying organizations and a number of politcians who really represent Mexico are pushing to get them citizenship. This will never happen. The open borders advocates, through their unmitigated gall, have awakened a sleeping giant.

Just to keep on topic, I would say the OP should be very angry, and he should take the advice above to notify LE about the probable alien smuggling by the driver who hit him. This situation indicates why it is good to have a camera in your car.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Sure, Bentbow. Moderator cut: orphaned
It is allowed for me to want rights for immigrants, illegal or otherwise. I have the right to want people to be mad at the crime, not the legal status of the person. I don't think it's a case of "nothing to see here". I didn't say that.
Think what you want and I'll still be here thinking what I want.

That's the problem. Not the solution.
Enforce our laws, or the people will enforce them. It is getting to that point.
Take that as a warning, or take that as a threat.
The sh*t is fixing to hit the fan.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
There is no right to a better life. There is, however, a right to expect your government to enforce its borders so you have a sovereign nation. I would have a better life if all the illegal aliens left my country. Instead, the 1000 Hispanic lobbying organizations and a number of politcians who really represent Mexico are pushing to get them citizenship. This will never happen. The open borders advocates, through their unmitigated gall, have awakened a sleeping giant.

Just to keep on topic, I would say the OP should be very angry, and he should take the advice above to notify LE about the probable alien smuggling by the driver who hit him. This situation indicates why it is good to have a camera in your car.

We should sue the city of Austin for harboring illegal aliens. It is a criminal act to harbor an illegal and Austin is a big offender. They actually promote it here.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:10 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
For being an immigrant from China your English is nothing short of incredible. I mean that in a literal sense: I question the credibility of this post.
Why?

One of my professors is a Korean immigrant and his English is impeccable. Surprisingly enough, most children in other countries are taught from a very young age to speak a second, even a third language. Outside of the U.S., the first second language taught is generally English. Do you question the ability of non-Native English speaking people to learn to speak English as well as, or better than a Native speaker?

English is the lingua franca of business throughout the world.

I question your credibility in posing such ethnocentric tripe.

Last edited by Kele; 10-22-2010 at 08:59 AM..

Old 10-22-2010, 08:42 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1988 View Post
I've been looking for a place to post this on the internet, and I figure this is as good a place as any. Long post, may lack coherency since im typing this up really fast before i go to work...

Story: I get rear-ended by a van in SE austin, i roll down my window and point to a empty church parking lot so me and the driver of the van can assess the damage. I can see as i get out of my car that the van is packed with hispanic people, had to be at least 10 + the driver. Driver gets out along with another guy and we see that I have a busted brake light.

Now this is the part where I get extremely pissed off. I'm a chinese guy, but I've taken 3 years of spanish and studied abroad in Spain, so I'm pretty fluent in Spanish. The driver of the van spoke perfect english, no problem. But the guy who got out with him started speaking spanish, and he looked at the driver and said "Why didn't you just keep driving after he pulled into the church? He wouldn't of chased you, now he will probably call the police.... what should we do, we paid you money and you said this would not happen. should we stay in the van or go to one of the fast food places close by and wait?" The driver tells the guy, straight up, "You don't have anything to worry about, the police will only check my ID, and in this city they arent allowed to ask you about your status so stay in the van." My anger is overwhelming at this point, but I figure I'll just tell the police when they come. Cop arrives, gets the guys details insurance ect., everything checks out apparently.

I ask the officer if i can have a private conversation with him off to the side, and I tell him everything that happened, how one of the guys in the car wanted to just drive away after the accident, and how they seemed nervous as hell about the police showing up, and that I thought the driver might be smuggling these people into the country. The officer said he thought it was suspicious too, but that he could only check the ID of the driver per city policy, and he checked out fine. So there was nothing he could do... and he let the guy go on his way.

Anyways. I'm a pretty liberal guy. I don't hate immigrants, being one myself. But it just seemed like this guy was blatantly smuggling people into the country and the police couldnt do **** about it, and it baffles my mind. And the fact that driver seemed arrogant as hell like he knew the police couldnt do anything pissed me off even more.

Just wondering what everyones opinion is on this? am i overreacting? is my anger misdirected?
I would have been livid. Clearly, the driver of the van is a human trafficker who knows law enforcement has been stymied by our spineless government. This is precisely why Arizona needs SB 1070. The fact that you understood the conversation, and relayed the info to the police officer, to no avail, underscores our problem.

I would certainly contact ICE, the AG, as well as the media. We must not allow illegal aliens to continue to have unfettered access to our country. Contrary to pro-illegal propaganda, all who enter this country illegally are not here to work.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:02 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
I'm sorry that you feel like you have been "run out" of trades. That is the wonderful thing about being American, you can do something else. "Illegal alien trespassers" don't have the same options we do. Hence, the low paying dangerous jobs that Americans don't want/don't want to pay for.

Your buddy's (as opposed to buddies) truck being stolen is a sad thing, but did he have insurance? Could he buy another truck? I'm not saying it's right. Not at all. Just pointing out that we have options and others do not.

But to the main point, as asked by the OP, is that I do think that he is taking it a bit far to be angry at the idea the perpetrator is/might be illegal. I would be angry about the proposed crime against me.
We ALL have options. Some “choose” to enter this country illegally and violate our laws. Regarding the stolen truck -- no one has the right to steal. Perhaps you wouldn’t mind allowing an illegal to “borrow” your car. After all, you have the option to replace it. Right?

Quote:
There are plenty of white people who do the same things. Being mad at a brown person for hitting your car is ok, being mad because the might or might not be an illegal alien is ridiculous.
I am angrier at the "legal" people going to the hospital and not paying, not the person with no money and no way to make it.
I am angry at the white college student that hit and ran my car a year ago, but not whether or not he is here legally.

I am confused by your logic with the "chances that that will be their first and only crime" statement. I would hazard to guess that the majority of people here without documentation are looking for a better life, not to rip you off. There are plenty of white and black people who commit crimes. Are you saying that they are more likely to see the error of their ways and stop their lives of crime? Does being here illegally make you more, I don't know, "criminalish"?
Illegal entry is only their initial violation. Do you not realize illegals MUST also commit ID theft, fraud, or tax evasion to work in this country? I guess the victims of ID theft can simply change their identities, and erase their damaged credit. No harm done.

Quote:
Yes. I know aliens come in all colors. Getting mad at someone (as the OP suggested he did) because he is illegal and trying to "bust him" to the cops is lame. Getting mad because some jerk hit your car and then his friend suggests they leave, well, that's ok. I'd be mad, too.
As for my last question, did you read what the previous poster had written? That he thinks the illegal people are going to lead some sort of criminal life? My point is that I highly doubt that there are more illegal people committing crimes than legal people and that I don't see how coming over the border without documentation makes someone more likely to be a crook.
Quote:
Actually, I'm not wrong with saying that the people who come here illegally are no more likely to lead a life of crime than someone who is legal. One crime does not equal life of crime. In fact, I think the bigger crime is persecuting someone for wanting a better life. I have a right to my opinion, which is what the OP asked for. That's all.
Illegal immigration is inherently lawless. How could it not be? One cannot survive in this country illegally and not rely on, at the very least, fraud and theft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration