Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 09:45 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxmor View Post
I'm sorry that you feel like you have been "run out" of trades. That is the wonderful thing about being American, you can do something else. "Illegal alien trespassers" don't have the same options we do. Hence, the low paying dangerous jobs that Americans don't want/don't want to pay for.
Your buddy's (as opposed to buddies) truck being stolen is a sad thing, but did he have insurance? Could he buy another truck? I'm not saying it's right. Not at all. Just pointing out that we have options and others do not.
But to the main point, as asked by the OP, is that I do think that he is taking it a bit far to be angry at the idea the perpetrator is/might be illegal. I would be angry about the proposed crime against me.
That's a myth. Americans will do any job. They just expect a fair wage in return. There's nothing particularly admirable about crossing the border without permission and taking jobs that pay so little you pay nothing in taxes and essentially do not participate in civil life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxmor View Post
Yes. I know aliens come in all colors. Getting mad at someone (as the OP suggested he did) because he is illegal and trying to "bust him" to the cops is lame. Getting mad because some jerk hit your car and then his friend suggests they leave, well, that's ok. I'd be mad, too.
As for my last question, did you read what the previous poster had written? That he thinks the illegal people are going to lead some sort of criminal life? My point is that I highly doubt that there are more illegal people committing crimes than legal people and that I don't see how coming over the border without documentation makes someone more likely to be a crook.
Because once you cross the border the crimes don't end there. You have to find a place to live. Well that means you have use forged documents to prove your right to rent. Then you want a job. So again with the forged documents because you don't have the legal right to work. And then you don't pay taxes because you don't file a tax return. Then you have to get to work so you drive even though you don't have a legal driver's license.

Most Americans don't have those problem because they're not in violation of our immigration laws.

Illegal migrants do us no favors. Most of them are Mexican and should work to better their own society instead of demanding special migration rights here. Most are low skilled, poorly educated and do not speak English. We don't need them or want them. The expectation that we should accommodate them to our own detriment is insulting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 09:55 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
That's a myth. Americans will do any job. They just expect a fair wage in return. There's nothing particularly admirable about crossing the border without permission and taking jobs that pay so little you pay nothing in taxes and essentially do not participate in civil life.

Because once you cross the border the crimes don't end there. You have to find a place to live. Well that means you have use forged documents to prove your right to rent. Then you want a job. So again with the forged documents because you don't have the legal right to work. And then you don't pay taxes because you don't file a tax return. Then you have to get to work so you drive even though you don't have a legal driver's license.

Most Americans don't have those problem because they're not in violation of our immigration laws.

Illegal migrants do us no favors. Most of them are Mexican and should work to better their own society instead of demanding special migration rights here. Most are low skilled, poorly educated and do not speak English. We don't need them or want them. The expectation that we should accommodate them to our own detriment is insulting.
I was going to pretty much say the same things but you said it so well that I don't need to.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:51 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,833,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
That's a myth. Americans will do any job. They just expect a fair wage in return. There's nothing particularly admirable about crossing the border without permission and taking jobs that pay so little you pay nothing in taxes and essentially do not participate in [civil] life.
Do you mean Civic life...meaning being part of a civic community? Of course wherther paid poorly or well, I dont think most posters want aliens to part of US civic life.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:31 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Do you mean Civic life...meaning being part of a civic community? Of course wherther paid poorly or well, I dont think most posters want aliens to part of US civic life.
I am talking about a group of people who do almost nothing to fit in to our civil society. They can't vote or run for any public office because they're here illegally. They don't speak the dominant language of the country so they miss out not only on interacting with neighbors but what is said in our national and local media. They fear police so they don't tend report crime leading to an increase in lawlessness. They live a shadow life because of their conscious decision to violate American migration laws.

And, no, they largely fail to pay much in taxes. Poor Americans may not pay much in taxes but at least they attempt to fit into the fabric of American life. Poor illegal migrants ultimately have very little vested in American society. They don't fund it. As a result they don't regard themselves as American with a vested interest in an American future. They may be here today and back in Mexico tomorrow. Most illegal migrants only view America in terms of what Americans can do for them. Americans can provide them with a better life. Americans who fail to agree with that premise are deemed racist and ungrateful creeps who dishonor their own grandparents.

Ultimately this sort of behavior breaks down the bonds of our society, creates an underclass of unskilled who do not literally speak the American language and turns America as a whole into nothing more than a collection of ethnic enclaves.

That's not a future most of us want to see.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:07 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Disgusting. [IMG]http://******************/vomit-smiley-31.gif[/IMG]

Old 10-23-2010, 08:13 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Why?
Because it's rare for non-native speakers to attain the level of English that the original poster demonstrates. The fact that he moved here while young certainly brings his mastery of English into the realm of verisimilitude. My intention was not to offend, nor come off as a provincial boor, and I commend the OP on his language abilities. Several pieces of this extremely politically charged post smelled funny to me, and I stated as much. Nothing more, nothing less.

You seem to have extrapolated quite a lot from my initial critical posture--a dangerous maneuver for a scientist in training.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:12 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Is there an "ignore" function on this board ? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:02 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
Because it's rare for non-native speakers to attain the level of English that the original poster demonstrates. The fact that he moved here while young certainly brings his mastery of English into the realm of verisimilitude. My intention was not to offend, nor come off as a provincial boor, and I commend the OP on his language abilities. Several pieces of this extremely politically charged post smelled funny to me, and I stated as much. Nothing more, nothing less.

You seem to have extrapolated quite a lot from my initial critical posture--a dangerous maneuver for a scientist in training.
If your intention was not to come off as a "provincial boor" then you failed miserably.

I extrapoloated nothing that was not in your initial post. You came off as an ethnocentric clod. I have had enough exposure to ESL students from other countries as well as professors whose native languages were not English to understand that your initial position was, and continues to be, crap.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:51 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Austin is San Francisco, on the 3rd coast.

Get this... Private citizens of the city of Austin, cannot file a law suit against the city for its sanctuary policies.

WHAT????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration