U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:43 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,087,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It pretty much does. Legal immigrants are expected to have an employer sponsor so you're not going to see legal immigrants hanging around a day labor center.

Even those on temporary work visas like the H2A visa have no reason to be out begging for a job because when their work term is up, they return home.
I dont understand "pretty much"...is that a qualifier?

So pretty much most day labores are undocumented workers?...or Pretty much all day laborers are undocumented workers.

Do pretty much all day labores get their work from in front of a Home Depot, or pretty much just some?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 11:22 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post

So pretty much most day labores are undocumented workers?...or Pretty much all day laborers are undocumented workers.

Do pretty much all day labores get their work from in front of a Home Depot, or pretty much just some?
There is no way of knowing for sure if all day laborers are "illegal aliens" but there is a strong indication that most of them are and quite possibly they ALL are. Home Depot is only one of the places you will find day laborers. I know of a McDonalds in Bonsall, Ca where dozens of "day laborers" hang out. I know of a Mexican grocery store in Cathedral City where they all hang out also. Since working without paying taxes is against the law, LE should be arresting them all anyway and those who hire them.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:56 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,087,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
There is no way of knowing for sure if all day laborers are "illegal aliens" but there is a strong indication that most of them are and quite possibly they ALL are. Home Depot is only one of the places you will find day laborers. I know of a McDonalds in Bonsall, Ca where dozens of "day laborers" hang out. I know of a Mexican grocery store in Cathedral City where they all hang out also. Since working without paying taxes is against the law, LE should be arresting them all anyway and those who hire them.

..." but there is a strong indication that most of them are"...

..."Since working without paying taxes is against the law, LE should be arresting them all anyway and those who hire them"...

Strong indication is not proof positive; and to dat, I know of no way to determin if a person is undocumented or not...just by sight.

Unless someone is a person's tax preparer...there is no way to know if a person pays his taxes. There is Federal provisions for those that contract work to pay taxes.

assumptions are easy to make... proof is harder.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:34 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,207,047 times
Quote:
..." but there is a strong indication that most of them are"...

..."Since working without paying taxes is against the law, LE should be arresting them all anyway and those who hire them"...

Strong indication is not proof positive; and to dat, I know of no way to determin if a person is undocumented or not...just by sight.

Unless someone is a person's tax preparer...there is no way to know if a person pays his taxes. There is Federal provisions for those that contract work to pay taxes.

assumptions are easy to make... proof is harder.
Any legal immigrant that doesn't want to be portrayed as an illegal alien, will avoid day labor.
One way to see if they're illegal or not is to show up wearing a Border Patrol cap. If they start running, they're illegal.
I've done it many times and there was never any of them left standing after the crowd broke up.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:57 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:

If 10 day laborers are loitering in a Home Depot parking lot, according to the following study, at least 7 will be illegal. I would say that “pretty much” most day laborers are illegal.
Quote:
The study found that 70 percent of day laborers were illegal immigrants, and the rest were legal immigrants
. Immigrants legal and illegal not finding work | abc7.com

Quote:
The main problem is that the overwhelming majority of day laborers are illegal aliens who, obviously, are barred from employment by nature of their immigration status.
Los Angeles Demands Private Businesses Assist Day Laborers | Center for Immigration Studies

Quote:
According to several studies, the large majority of day laborers are in the United States illegally and therefore are not eligible to work in the United States.
Garcia v. City of Laguna Beach | Judicial Watch (http://www.judicialwatch.org/garcia-v-laguna-beach-illegal-immigration - broken link)

Old 10-28-2010, 03:17 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If 10 day laborers are loitering in a Home Depot parking lot, according to the following study, at least 7 will be illegal. I would say that “pretty much” most day laborers are illegal.
. Immigrants legal and illegal not finding work | abc7.com

Los Angeles Demands Private Businesses Assist Day Laborers | Center for Immigration Studies

Garcia v. City of Laguna Beach | Judicial Watch (http://www.judicialwatch.org/garcia-v-laguna-beach-illegal-immigration - broken link)
You always come through with undeniable stats, Benicar. Thanks for all you do in here.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You always come through with undeniable stats, Benicar. Thanks for all you do in here.
Thank you.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:56 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,950,538 times
That article regarding City of LA trying to make new home improvement stores provide "day labour centres" was an eye opener.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
That article regarding City of LA trying to make new home improvement stores provide "day labour centres" was an eye opener.
Yep. It’s absolute insanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration