U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-23-2010, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale
467 posts, read 1,057,740 times
Reputation: 767

Advertisements

Let me throw this question out there and lets see what sticks.

Now, I am in the professional sports business. But, I was looking at getting a job in Europe and the club told me that I would have to pay for my own work visa...LOL...NOT!

But they have restrictions on hiring foreigners just like we do here in the US....so I'm told. But, if a bunch of foreigners are playing professional sports here in the USA, isn't the Club suppose to hire Americans first, before they look outside of the country for players?

One of the restriction in getting a job here in the USA is that you, as a business owner, has to have had an ad in the local or national job bank. If no one applies, then you start looking out side of the country for foreign workers.

Now, what makes the sports industry different from and other industry? It is a business right? I mean they produce a product which is entertainment, but still a product...right?

So why do Americans sit on the sidelines watching someone else from a different country, who got the billet and now they are on the outside looking in, wondering how do they get there shot if that billets filled?

Yes, you can say..."That Soccer player from Argentina is better." Or, that Hockey Player from Canada, Russia, Finland, Ukraine, Latvia,...etc is better. Or, this player from Japan can catch a baseball better then an American kid! How does that work?

 
Old 10-23-2010, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 10,967,422 times
Reputation: 3083
Both the EB1 and O1 visas are available for those with "extraordinary ability" in fields such as sports, arts etc. EB1 does not require an employment "offer" while the O1 visas do.

This btw is NOT an "illegal" immigration issue.
 
Old 10-23-2010, 03:47 PM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,205,156 times
Reputation: 12782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
This btw is NOT an "illegal" immigration issue.
 
Old 10-23-2010, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale
467 posts, read 1,057,740 times
Reputation: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Both the EB1 and O1 visas are available for those with "extraordinary ability" in fields such as sports, arts etc. EB1 does not require an employment "offer" while the O1 visas do.

This btw is NOT an "illegal" immigration issue.
Oh, when a sport director from another country, without a work visa, doesn't that fall into an Illegal Immigration Issue?
 
Old 10-23-2010, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 10,967,422 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head coach View Post
Oh, when a sport director from another country, without a work visa, doesn't that fall into an Illegal Immigration Issue?
I don't see that situation raised in your initial post. If that's your issue then give more details.
 
Old 10-23-2010, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Southern California
15,088 posts, read 16,969,042 times
Reputation: 10278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head coach View Post
Let me throw this question out there and lets see what sticks.

... How does that work?
Sports = entertainment = product = money.

Add the best players and you have a winning team. So:

A winning team = better entertainment = more people watching = more money.

Now figure that a foreign player will attract audience from his/her home country. So:

A foreign player = a foreign audience in addition to the domestic audience = more money

If a foreign player is better than a domestic player, then guess who gets the job. Add his foreign audience and brings something to the table the domestic player cannot.

It is all quite simple.




[not an illegal immigration issue]
 
Old 10-23-2010, 07:58 PM
 
888 posts, read 1,008,561 times
Reputation: 610
IMO, sports tends to eliminate borders.
Show me a 17 year-old kid from Mexico, who's 7'2" tall & 275 pounds, and can handle a basketball like a point guard.
And there isn't a college basketball coach in the country, who wouldn't smuggle him across the border, in his (large) car trunk?

Steve
 
Old 10-23-2010, 10:21 PM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,205,156 times
Reputation: 12782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
IMO, sports tends to eliminate borders.
Show me a 17 year-old kid from Mexico, who's 7'2" tall & 275 pounds, and can handle a basketball like a point guard.
And there isn't a college basketball coach in the country, who wouldn't smuggle him across the border, in his (large) car trunk?

Steve
The country wouldn't have to smuggle him across the border. Give him a scholarship in a demanding field and he automatically qualifies for a student visa.

I'm sure the NBA can get him a working visa if necessary.
 
Old 10-23-2010, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 10,967,422 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The country wouldn't have to smuggle him across the border. Give him a scholarship in a demanding field and he automatically qualifies for a student visa.

I'm sure the NBA can get him a working visa if necessary.
Exactly - He'd probably qualify - no need for smuggling
 
Old 10-24-2010, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,831,384 times
Reputation: 3028
Companies also use these tactics to avoid hiring citizens.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top