U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:22 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,084,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
The study was conducted over 40 years time, the participants could not be older than 50 during the initial study. The original participants were immigrants (legal, illegal- not specified) and the subsequent 4 generations that are American. The study was conducted to determine the success and assimilation of Mexicans compared to Europeans, including education, identity, language, etc. The groups are obviously analogous because this study starts with the immigrant parents and ends four generations later with American born children.
please cite the study
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 03:33 PM

1,150 posts, read 990,683 times
<<It says children of illegal aliens. Those are not illegal aliens.>>

Many of those children are themselves illegal aliens, having been born in another country, and brought here by their parents.

Are you aware that there are many children who live in Mexico, and are Mexican citizens, who cross the border everyday to go to school in AZ, and TX? How do you justify that?

Old 10-26-2010, 03:38 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,285,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Looks like you forgot to add - Hate the enablers not the poor innocent illegals.

Oh thank you for making so much sense. If we did not have those who enabled the illegals, we would not be facing a problem with illegals. But becasue we have so many enablers, now we have a huge problem, that is so out of control, and going to get worse. If not a thing is going to be done about it. It is so apparent that neither party in my opinion has stepped up to the plate on this Huge problem, and getting worse and dangerous by the minute. And the Democrats don't seem to think that we have a problem, that is our problem right there.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:41 PM

358 posts, read 332,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
please cite the study
My mistake, I forgot to cite it. Here is an abstract from the book, it offers a peak at the material but you will have to purchase the actual book to really understand.
http://www.chicano.ucla.edu/press/briefs/documents/PB19.pdf (broken link)

Old 10-26-2010, 03:43 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Oh thank you for making so much sense. If we did not have those who enabled the illegals, we would not be facing a problem with illegals. But becasue we have so many enablers, now we have a huge problem, that is so out of control, and going to get worse. If not a thing is going to be done about it. It is so apparent that neither party in my opinion has stepped up to the plate on this Huge problem, and getting worse and dangerous by the minute. And the Democrats don't seem to think that we have a problem, that is our problem right there.
Yep, you got it. We are up against those who want the cheap illegal labor, those who want future voters for their party and the enabling ethnic group of citizens who care more about illegal foreingers like themselves than the laws, other citizens and the best interests of this country. Traitors all of them.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:45 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,944,131 times
I have to totally agree, Americans and those here legally who wish one day to BECOME citizens have been sold down the river by the Hispandering of BOTH parties.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:45 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,479,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
The grammar police would have arrested you several times already, I would not cast stones. We all understand people make mistakes posting on here, the only thing that matters is the message they are trying to convey.
Nonsense. Simple nonsense. My style is my own but well honed..

I don't normally touch it. But if you use big emotional words spell them correctly...if you can't...don't use them.

Quote:
The data is real and available. I would suggest you search my name and look at the illegal immigration posts I have done, there are dozens of links to the data you are looking for. Personally I don't feel like digging them all up, I have done that enough for others. Please look at how the studies are conducted, I will let you in on a lil secret... the pro illegal immigrant crowd conducts studies that show illegal immigrants contribute more to society than they use, and the anti illegal immigrant crowd conducts studies showing illegal immigrants as a huge drain on our society, so who is wrong?? neither, depending on what you think is fair. The Left studies do not take into account the cost of American born children, and the Right does. This is where the issue is muddled, causing confusion. For me I take into account the cost of the children, from the various social safety nets like housing, food, cash, daycare, preschool, and a slew of low income programs. The families ALL directly benefit from this, from the illegal parents to the legal children, as a family unit, therefore it should be counted.
Why don't you count the cost of legal families which provide succor to the illegal? The brother/sister? The Aunt/Uncle? They use US systems and share part of their take with their illegal relatives. Hell you can count all the tax supported monies paid to anyone related to an illegal or who even knows one.

That will really blow up your numbers.

The truth is that the legal children are included because there is virtually nothing else.

I have I think read every report on the subject of any credibility. None make it a big deal. The right loads the legal kids...which is objectionable primarily because it is almost always the biggest item they have. The left gets off into hyper space economics of the impact of labor. I find no one with any credible indications of large impact.

As I have said...the high school drop out and the student worker are harmed...but few others.

Quote:
Not to be picky, but you are wrong on many levels on this one. NV does not have the highest per capita, that would be California. according to the 2000 census data Nevada ranked #4, behind California, Arizona and Texas. I could not find the most current data, but that snapshot is adequate for nowor your comment on crime and illegal immigration, well there are many factors to look at: proximity to the border, justice systems, etc. It would be very irresponsible to suggest crimes committed by illegal immigrants are due to the nature of the state. I would love to see some proof regarding this assumption, I find it very fascinating.
Takes all of 30 seconds to find the recent Pew data. You are right but just barely and probably wrong in Clark County. Nevada is second only to CA which is 6.9% illegals to NVs 6.8%. Texas is in at 6.5%. And AZ, which has all the problems, is at 5.8%. So you got one level but that is about it and that one close enough you get no points.

The illegals have little but good impact on crime. Easy to see. Look at the change in crime as the illegal population increases. If you want to get more sophisticated there are lots of data demonstrating that illegals avoid doing anything that gets police contact for the obvious reason.

Quote:
I find this very disappointing. There are MANY people in California that would like to see this problem ended, look at previous polls conducted this year. What you are referring to is a form of amnesty for illegal immigrants that have lived and worked in the United States over 2 years, this in no way shape or form means Californians support illegal immigrants coming into this state unchecked. You need to ask yourself why a poll was done regarding amnesty, do you think it's because thats all we hear from our president, gubernatorial candidates, media, etc? people are quick to forget the amnesty fiasco of the 80's, I put very little value on this latest poll.
Actually there are lots of people in CA who would like to see the problem ended. But the vast majority favor amnesty in some guise. There are some who favor enforecement only but they are a minority. And the population of CA completely dominates the region. If we are talking about the will of the majority..go with CA.

The object is not to open the flood gates. The intent is to reduce the illegal numbers to the point at which they can be tracked, apprehended and expelled. We can probably do that for a few hundred thousand. It would also be a very good idea to send to prison any criminal who returns. Perhaps for 10 or 15 years.

The poll was of course done for the obvious reason that everyone wants to know the answer. I certainly found it interesting. You did not?

Old 10-26-2010, 07:07 PM

Wow, when did the word "soveirgnty" become an emotional word that "demands" correct spelling? Sometimes I type real fast and don't check my spelling....kill me now! Of course it is ok to use the word "simple" when the correct word in context should have been "simply". Pot, kettle, black.

Since when is it high school dropouts and students who do construction work and other well paying blue collar jobs? Someone needs a reality check.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:31 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,479,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Wow, when did the word "soveirgnty" become an emotional word that "demands" correct spelling? Sometimes I type real fast and don't check my spelling....kill me now! Of course it is ok to use the word "simple" when the correct word in context should have been "simply". Pot, kettle, black.

Since when is it high school dropouts and students who do construction work and other well paying blue collar jobs? Someone needs a reality check.
Yes you do. If there is a word that should always be correctly spelled...you found it. I would note that those who use "soverneighty" generally have no idea what it actually means. But it has this ring to it...

Well paid construction jobs don't go to high school kids. Lawn mowing and weed pulling did at one point in time but probably not today. In our area you have to speak Spanish to get a job in much of the construction industry. You do not however need to be illegal...though that may not disqualify you.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Yes you do. If there is a word that should always be correctly spelled...you found it. I would note that those who use "soverneighty" generally have no idea what it actually means. But it has this ring to it...

Well paid construction jobs don't go to high school kids. Lawn mowing and weed pulling did at one point in time but probably not today. In our area you have to speak Spanish to get a job in much of the construction industry. You do not however need to be illegal...though that may not disqualify you.
Oh, stop with this pettiness. I didn't spell the word as you claim I did. Go back and look. When your grammar and spelling is perfect get back with us. This is a forum, not a spelling bee.

You're the one who claimed that the jobs that illegals take only affect high school dropouts and students. Now you are back peddling. Illegals have taken construction, landscaping and other blue collar jobs that adult Americans have always done.

Yeah, you're right about Spanish being required to do construction work as there are so many illegal alien Spanish speakers working those jobs today. What was your point? A lot of blue collar jobs require Spanish today and it isn't because of the Hispanic Americans in this country as they are usually bi-lingual. It is directly due to number of illegal alien Spanish speakers in our country and being hired for those jobs. Are you ok with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration