U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:51 PM

5,891 posts, read 12,247,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
"I wonder if the citizens of Mexico have to Push 1 for Spanish?"

They have phones in Mexico?
Not that it matters, but that very likely is the case in U.S. run tourist beach communities such as Cancun, Puerto Vallarta and Los Cabos. In those areas the majority of the people speak English and the most accepted currency is the US dollar.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:49 PM

159 posts, read 468,698 times
I'm very happy to start to see a backlash against having to "Push 1 for English" here in the USA at ATMs & voice-mail type systems.

I lived in Hong Kong as a kid, and I learned to speak Cantonese at 9 years of age not because I had to (HK was a British colony at the time), but because it was a smart thing to do. In the USA, we tend to coddle a lot of immigrants who are too stupid/lazy to learn how to speak English, despite their desire to become gainfully employed & otherwise live the American Dream. I certainly witnessed that living in California for almost a decade -- all the damn languages that some gov't forms had to be available in, certified interpreters used in legal proceedings, costing $50+ an hour (& often paid for with tax dollars).

Best of all were the drunks & criminal suspects or victims that "no habla," so another police officer might have to come out of his or her patrol area just to speak (usually Spanish, sometimes Cantonese or Mandarin) to a "citizen," who more often than not, wasn't really a (U.S.) citizen.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:41 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahooligan View Post
I'm very happy to start to see a backlash against having to "Push 1 for English" here in the USA at ATMs & voice-mail type systems.

I lived in Hong Kong as a kid, and I learned to speak Cantonese at 9 years of age not because I had to (HK was a British colony at the time), but because it was a smart thing to do. In the USA, we tend to coddle a lot of immigrants who are too stupid/lazy to learn how to speak English, despite their desire to become gainfully employed & otherwise live the American Dream. I certainly witnessed that living in California for almost a decade -- all the damn languages that some gov't forms had to be available in, certified interpreters used in legal proceedings, costing $50+ an hour (& often paid for with tax dollars).

Best of all were the drunks & criminal suspects or victims that "no habla," so another police officer might have to come out of his or her patrol area just to speak (usually Spanish, sometimes Cantonese or Mandarin) to a "citizen," who more often than not, wasn't really a (U.S.) citizen.
I can attest to what you are saying as I live in Calif. In many areas a police officer or fireman can't get even get hired unless they know or learn how to speak Spanish.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:33 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,383,008 times
I've heard this from many of the unemployed today. All jobs want you to speak Spanish. It's BS!!

Immigrants are supposed to have a working English vocabulary to become citizens.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:39 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,944,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I've heard this from many of the unemployed today. All jobs want you to speak Spanish. It's BS!!

Immigrants are supposed to have a working English vocabulary to become citizens.
Yes, but you don't have to be a citizen to have a job.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post

Actually, this is happening due to the high numbers of Spanish speaking illegal aliens in our country. Businesses are catering to them and so are our public services.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:38 PM

233 posts, read 389,619 times
The way I see it is if a business insists that their employees speak or learn Spanish in this country then they are not catering to Americans or legal English speaking immigrants and have made it clear they don't want my business so I gladly take it elsewhere, if I lived in Mexico or any other Latino country I wouldn't have the nerve to demand they learn my language, I'd be trying to learn theirs as fast as I could. In a town the size I live in, word of mouth travels fast in such a situation and it can put an illegal panderer out of business or significantly hurt their bottom line really quickly. For instance, one of the most popular food places in town replaced a lot of their disabled workers when the minimum wage was raised, they replaced them with all Latinos who don't speak a word of English, when the other employees voiced the opinion of how hard it was on them to communicate and to be expected to train these people they were warned that "you can be replaced with more of these same type people if you make a fuss, there are many more where these came from just waiting for your job", needless to say we have not spend one dime in said place in over a year now and lots of others haven't either, face it we all can have an effectc on any business that does business this way........just take your money elsewhere but remember to let them know the reason why, either in person or with a simple call or note.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:42 PM

3,936 posts, read 5,446,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
English is not the official language of the United States. Sorry. You can try again in 24 hours.
It is in Oklahoma, as of November 2nd.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
It is in Oklahoma, as of November 2nd.
It is in Calif. also and many other states.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:07 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,333,094 times
My GF is Filipina & the schools over there teach those fine people English from the get go.

Whats so sad is that they were once under Spanish rule for centuries, yet English is their second language & is a lot of the time more formal than ours.

Countries like Korea, China, & Japan even send their kids to the Philippines just to learn English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or